Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Fresh-Window Hardener

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
peter_fargas
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Last active: Feb 23 2015 09:26 AM

Hi.

I am developing an utility which protects freshly activated windows and dialogs from accidental keystrokes/clicks. Like for running background administration tasks occasionally asking something and still being content to develop something in the foreground. A similar approach would be to have the background tasks running on a minimized virtual machine, another desktop or some other computer.

I am in the end phases of development and I'd like a clean solution before going public with it. Currently, I have a hybrid of event analysis from SetWinHookEvent and active monitoring - works fine. But I'd like a, as far as possible, passive-monitor solution - and I am missing the expertise for the events. I do not have confidence in their appearance "stability", time for log gathering and analysis, nor a multi-os environment.

The concept is, that I create a transparent overlay which needs unlocking, either explicitly or has a time-lock.

Here are the questions. EO and ES are the obvious shortcuts for EVENT_OBJECT/EVENT_SYSTEM prefixes. I hope I won't miss some point, please think along with me.

1. Is EO_CREATE enough to discover a new window?

1.1. What is ES_DIALOGSTART for?

2. Are EO_SHOW, EO_MINIMIZEEND enough to discover window getting focus? Maybe fortified by ES_SWITCHEND.

2.1. There is an EO_FOCUS event - is that one reliable? Would you recommend it or even consider necessary? Afaik, this happens on a control, not on a window so it makes the logic heavier.

2.2. I've never seen an ES_FOREGROUND happen?

2.3. Is ES_CAPTURESTART usable for mouse? +this always happens on a sub-hwnd, not directly on a window, right?

3. EO_DESTROY, EO_MINIMIZESTART - are enough to trigger cleaning up overlay?

3.1. How about EO_HIDE?

4. That was my trivial analysis for Win7. Any experiences with Win8? Is it consistent in usage?

Thanks.

peter_fargas
  • Members
  • 4 posts

p.s Don't hesitate moving/directing me to some other forum if I ain't here right.

garry
  • Spam Officer
  • 3219 posts
  • Last active: Sep 20 2018 02:47 PM

@ peter_fargas

can ask also in

http://ahkscript.org...d485ebb1751e49a

or  in thread 'Support' or  'Ask for Help ' ?

peter_fargas
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Hi, thanks.

I thought that those two forums are mere mirrors? What is the logic behind having two, apart from the obvious - it just happened? Which one do you recommend?

For the next round - I decided to drop the passive-monitor method. I cannot seem to cover certain cases, research is one thing, but I have got this feeling, that different windows-executable compilers produce applications which are differently integrated into the whole message-passing, hookchains, etc. subsystems of Windows.

I'll rather operate on a higher level covering all cases consistently than to bloat with tons of special tweaks potentially unreliable even across windows security updates.

hoppfrosch
  • Members
  • 399 posts
  • Last active: Feb 26 2016 05:31 AM

I thought that those two forums are mere mirrors? What is the logic behind having two, apart from the obvious - it just happened? Which one do you recommend?

Read here: http://ahkscript.org...on/history.html- I would recommend ahkscript.org ....

peter_fargas
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Ok, so I'm closing the account here and moving the topic. Might take some time though, can't do anything about that, sorry. Hope polyethylene is doing fine - I always liked to see his avatar.