Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

The future of Autohotkey.com

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Forum Software (51 member(s) have cast votes)

IPB (this forum)

1. Lock it (26 votes [43.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.33%

2. leave as is (14 votes [23.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

3. Convert it to PHPBB with the same features as ahkscript.org (20 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Forum at ahkscript.org

1. Move it to autohotkey.com and make it the active forum for this domain (40 votes [78.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 78.43%

2. Repurpose the forum at ahkscript.org for V2 (11 votes [21.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote
tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
Hello All,

Many of you have strong feelings about the current forum software or the choice of offering the last version of software developed by Chris Mallet before he retired from this effort. 
Until now there was no choice in the matter offered. We start a new era of cooperation. 

There are a few key changes going forward in how this site and software will be managed and operated. An LLC was created in April as a holding company for the community assets. Chris Mallet was designated with absolute authority to take back over at any point should he desire to do so. Lexikos, JoeDF as well as myself will have managerial power over those assets on a day to day basis. There is a division of duties as follows:

• Lexikos has agreed to continue primary development of AutoHotkey and the related help files. The help documentation will soon be maintained on github exclusively
  • JoeDF and Tank will maintain the Forum Software at ahkscript.org and autohotkey.com. with input from the community
Polyethene has agreed to work with us by paying for a new server and handle server maintenance. 

Forum Admins:  Configuration and moderation of topics
  • Lexikos
  • Tank
  • JoeDF
  • Polyethene
  • Alibaba
  • SKAN
  • tidbit
  • HotKeyIt
  • nnnik
  • VxE
  • fincs
  • enguunneer
  • TLM
  • Sumon
  • tic
Moderators: moderate topics and spam removal
  • Drainx1
  • Zelio
  • bigvent
  • ChalamiuS
  • Seidenweber
  • Jethrow
  • IsNull
  • sinkfaze
  • MasterFocus
  • Bentschi
  • tomoe_uehara
  • jaco0646
  • amnesiac
  • fischgeek
  • Girlgamer
  • corrupt
  • AfterLemon
  • Infogulch
  • Leef_me
  • majkinator
  • MasterFocus
  • PhiLho
  • Run1e
  • Skwire
  • Talisman
  • Toralf
  • Uberi
We are committed to continued support of this community in the spirit of Open Source. Other forks are welcome. 

What does this mean to me?:

We will make changes slowly over the next couple of months. The first step will be to update the download and documentation to the latest version while still allowing downloads from archives if desired. All web presence will become available under the autohotkey.com Domain

This leaves the question of the forum software. While a great many of us prefer PHPBB , we don't want to make a unilateral decision for the community. So I ask you all to review the poll and respond genuinely.

One thing that will change regardless of forum software is:

Separate sections for alternate languages providing we have trusted moderators for those languages. Not the least will include:

• German
  • Chinese
  • Spanish
  • Russian
an example of how this will most likely be implemented can be found here

There has been no serious conversation about things like github presence and irc but for now these will remain as is.

Wiki support for user tools will come within the year

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

space
  • Members
  • 520 posts
  • Last active:
I suggest to lock it and move ahkscript.org forum software to here. Converting it again will cause a lot of problems I think, a lot of information already has been lost or mangled during the conversion from phpbb2 to IPB converting it yet again will probably make it worse. AutoHotkey v2 can be a sub forum just like a language (German etc), once v2 is ready the current sections can be move to a AutoHotkey v1 sub forum and make v2 the main section for Ask for Help & Scripts - no doubt there will always be a need to move some posts to the correct version...

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM
I say lock this site and move ahkscript here.
This forum has a lot of old and broken code, links and examples. Most of the stuff is for 1.0, not 1.1+ (a lot of it works, but a lot of it does not). and probably thousands of broken autohotkey.net links. And a lot of posts with code that were converted are broken due to [color][/color] tags in code boxes. It's still an issue for new folks who actually search.

ahkscript doesn't have nearly as many issues as this forum does. Plus, this forums theme is HORRIBLE for coding (it's a general/social theme), and a fairly wonky WYSIYWG editor. Changing back to the old theme is okay, but code boxes are massive then.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Nov 02 2019 08:38 PM
Agreed, I have voted for "Lock it" and "leave it as is"; so, we simply keep it as an archive. As mentioned by tank and space, here: too many issues...

Finally, I suggest a seperate poll purely for the choosing of the forum software.
Phpbb, IPB, lithium (suggested by tidbit), etc
We should collect a list of possibilities and then make our choosing. A discussion about it can be found here: http://ahkscript.org....php?f=2&t=6667
Why ahkscript.org? - autohotkey.com is outdated

G. Sperotto
  • Members
  • 539 posts
  • Last active: Jun 20 2015 04:54 PM

I say we lock this one and move the other forums to this domain.

May i suggest we have a Portuguese section?

I have seen many people from Brazil (including myself) over time, and most of them didn't even knew there were others around. I would also love to have some more people from my country getting to know AutoHotkey, which would be a lot easier if the official forums had a portuguese section.

"What is a suitable automation? Whatever saves your day for the greater matters."
Barcoder - Create QR Codes and other Barcodes using only Autohotkey !!

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
Portuguese? Clearly, we will. And, that is, without hesitation. :)

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:
The Invision Power Board forum software has a lot of nice features but the way it is implemented at AutoHotkey.com, a programming forum, is problematic. Yes, these problems/bugs can be fixed but I think that everyone can agree, that ship has sailed.

Converting the posts from the IPB forum software to whatever final solution is used, PHPBB at this point, will create consistency when a developer needs to search for a solution from the original forum. Although these requests will become fewer and fewer as time goes on, right now they contain very recent posts. At this writing, AutoHotkey.com is significantly more active than AHKScript.com. I definitely vote for a conversion although I do understand that it will require additional effort.

Thank you for your consideration.

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
Hmm i agree on the search thing, hopefully if I or Tank can convert it...

ErrorOnLine1
  • Members
  • 230 posts
  • Last active: Oct 05 2015 02:46 PM

So, the mutiny's over? May I inquire, what were the terms of your surrender? I mean, if y'all don't mind me asking.

:D  :D  :D

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
Just to make sure there's no confusion. Ahkscript is not surrendering to anyone. And, I imagine Polyethene simply has his mind set on something else.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation

It was never a mutiny. so much as a demonstration of what we want and that the community does in fact agree with it. Poly has come to understand that we were not the "voice of the few" as he once put it. the split was necessary but had detrimental impacts as well. this change in management is nothing more than a course correction on both sides. think of it as a best of both worlds.  both sides were attempting to hold true to what we both thought was the best interest for this community. we simply had very different views of what that meant. sometimes "a vote of feet" or mouse click as it seems is necessary. Then of course comes the question every web admin has to ask. "if i hand over control to someone how do i know they wont ruin it?". Its a fair question. One chris asked when he handed it over and one Poly had to ask. in essence we also proved not only what the community wants but that we are capable of collaboratively managing a site without ruining it. passion drives greatness but it also often drives conflict. this conflict is over.its time to unify the passion and move forward. ahkscript.org as a domain will remain in place and most likely be designated as the AutoHotkey Foundation LLC site as well as a potential home for V2 or other as of yet un  determined but related purpose..

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

G. Sperotto
  • Members
  • 539 posts
  • Last active: Jun 20 2015 04:54 PM

Portuguese? Clearly, we will. And, that is, without hesitation. :)

Awesome, will be looking forward to it :)

"What is a suitable automation? Whatever saves your day for the greater matters."
Barcoder - Create QR Codes and other Barcodes using only Autohotkey !!

Maniac
  • Members
  • 445 posts
  • Last active: Jan 06 2016 12:02 PM

TBH, I would prefer this forum (converted back to phpbb), as all my topics are here. Anything I've made over at ahkscript.org is only some secondary stuff due to the community split.

SnowFlake_FlowSnake
  • Members
  • 845 posts
  • Last active: Jan 24 2016 05:24 PM

When will this pull end?

• Download link of my scripts on Autohotkey.com 2/10/2015 [DOWNLAND]
  • Contact Info:  https://github.com/floowsnaake //  FloowSnaake(A)gmail.com
  • IF you need Help send me a PM,Email or Post on Github

• Quote by tank  Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:14 PM

• "Eventually i will find a way to convert the DB back to PHPBB3. but i dont have the bandwidth right now. No one that has tried has had success. It is the Only way i can keep this open is if i could successfully convert it."

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation

end of the month

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.