Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Comprehensive list of Windows hotkeys.

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic
Decarlo110
  • Members
  • 303 posts
  • Last active: Feb 12 2006 02:15 AM
"List of F1-F9 Key Commands for the Command Prompt

F1 / right arrow: Repeats the letters of the last command line, one by one.
F2: Displays a dialog asking user to "enter the char to copy up to" of the last command line
F3: Repeats the last command line
F4: Displays a dialog asking user to "enter the char to delete up to" of the last command
line
F5: Goes back one command line
F6: Enters the traditional CTRL+Z (^z)
F7: Displays a menu with the command line history
F8: Cycles back through previous command lines (beginning with most recent)
F9: Displays a dialog asking user to enter a command number, where 0 is for first command line entered.

Note: The buffer allows a maximum of 50 command lines. After this number is reached, the first line will be replaced in sequence.

Works on Windows 2000 Professional and Server." Maybe on others, as well.
The above is from a link i posted earlier, which has a couple more command prompt gems if you want to surf a little.

@jonny- Nice compilation, quite useful. I hadn't known Win-Tab until reading here.
1) The Open Source Definition http://www.opensourc...ition_plain.php

2) Intuitive. Logical. Versatile. Adaptable. <>

SanskritFritz
  • Members
  • 280 posts
  • Last active: Jan 09 2013 02:15 PM

In tree pane, if any:

Ctrl + CursorKeys: Scroll the tree in any direction without changing the seleced node.

Alt + Space: Display system menu. Same as clicking the icon on the titlebar.

Alt + Minus: Dislay the system menu of an MDI child window. Same as clicking the icon on the menubar (if the child window is maximized).

Ctrl + Tab: Cycle through tabs/child windows.

Sometimes:
Ctrl + F6: Switch to the next MDI child window. Also to previous with Shift.

Shift while a CD is loading: Bypass AutoPlay.

Shift while login: Bypass startup folder. Only those applications will be ignored which are in the startup folder, not those started from the registry (Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\)

F6: Cycle through screen elements. Testing on this was inconclusive; I'd appreciate someone doing extensive testing on this under various circumstances, and posting the results.

This is application dependent, most apps that follow the MS guidelines, implement it. Examples:
Most editors in split mode (MS Word, TextPad)
MS Html Help

Space: Toggle items such as radio buttons or checkboxes.

Also it presses a pushbutton if selected.
Is there another word for synonym?

Decarlo110
  • Members
  • 303 posts
Tab (desktop active): advance thru Desktop & Taskbar elements (StartMenu, QuickLaunch, window tabs, toolbars, system tray) If you have Desktop toolbar on, you can't access the system tray this way. hold Shift to reverse.
Ctrl+Tab (desktop active): cycle thru desktop selection, StartMenu, QuickLaunch, system tray. Shift to reverse, but it will act the same as Shift above.
Tab (in browser/folder): cycle thru AddressBar, left panel (if present), and main panel/selection. varies with application.
F6: similar to above
Ctrl+Shift+Esc also works on Win2000, to invoke Task Manager.
Win+D: is technically, toggle desktop view, using Show_Desktop.scf, while MinimizeAllWindows doesn't minimize dialog boxes (including Properties windows).
minor correction, Ctrl + Arrow Keys: Change focus without changing selection. "Focus" is the object that will be added/removed when pressing Ctrl+Space. This also allows to select multiple items.
minor correction, under Remote Desktop Connection Navigation: PrintScreen captures the entire screen, while Alt+PrtScrn captures the active window.
Hold Shift to highlight any of the following four:
Home (in text editor): move caret to beginning of line.
End (in text editor): move caret to end of line.
Ctrl+Home (in text editor): move caret to beginning of text.
Ctrl+End (in text editor): move caret to end of text.

The following apply to the command prompt:
Alt+Enter: toggle fullScreen mode.
up/down: scroll thru/repeat previous entries
Esc: delete line
And some trivia for MS-DOS editor: in command prompt, type edit, hit Enter. Alt H, then C. Hold the down arrow to scroll to the Window Management Commands. Also, F8 tabs thru multiple open text files.

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM
Thank you both very much. I'll try to get around to adding or revising them as soon as possible, since I want this list to be very complete and I've also started pointing outsiders to it as well.

toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
  • Last active: Aug 20 2014 04:23 PM
I was only going roughly over the list. If I missed these, I'm sorry :

Print : captures full screen to clipboard
Alt + Print : captures active window to clipboard
Ciao
toralf

I use the latest AHK version (1.1.15+)
Please ask questions in forum on ahkscript.org. Why?
For online reference please use these Docs.

guivho
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Last active: Mar 19 2016 05:59 PM
I think that the Ctrl-+ (Control and + key) to autoresize the columns in e.g. an explorer type list, really should read Ctrl-NumPad+ (Control and the + key on the numpad). At least on my box (Keyboard: English - United States US) it only works with the numpad+.

Still, it's a great and usefull find!

• Guests
  • Last active:
This is a great list of hotkeys, which I found using Google. I was looking for the hotkey combination to make a window movable with the arrow keys. A couple of years ago, someone on the old RoboDemo list posted a solution to the problem of a window opening in Explorer view with the titlebar beyond the visible area of the desktop, to where a user can't grab it with the mouse and move it around. The hotkey combination in question renders the window movable with the arrow keys. As luck would have it, I've got a problem with Windows opening a dialog where I can't move it with the mouse, and I've lost the information on the hotkey combination needed to make the window movable. Does that sound familiar to anyone here?
TIA,

Tommy Simmons
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Jun 13 2005 10:07 PM
My Windows 2000 machine doesn't seem to have a "keyshort.chm" file - anyone know what it's called on Windows 2000?

daonlyfreez
  • Members
  • 995 posts
  • Last active: Jan 23 2013 08:16 AM
In case it wasn't mentioned yet:

Alt + Open a file (Doubleclick) = Shows Properties Dialog
Posted Image mirror 1mirror 2mirror 3ahk4.me • PM or Posted Image

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts
  • Last active: Nov 01 2014 03:23 PM
Internet Explorer (tested with 6.x)

Shift + MWheelUp: Back
Shift + MWheelDown: Forward

Decarlo110
  • Members
  • 303 posts

As luck would have it, I've got a problem with Windows opening a dialog where I can't move it with the mouse, and I've lost the information on the hotkey combination needed to make the window movable. Does that sound familiar to anyone here?
TIA,

response to June 13 post by Guest:

Alt Space, then m

:idea:

thehand
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Is there a combi that can minimize only the current window? Also maximize that window or resize it?

Matt

Laszlo
  • Moderators
  • 4713 posts
  • Last active: Mar 31 2012 03:17 AM
Alt-Space,n or x or s

SanskritFritz
  • Members
  • 280 posts
  • Last active: Jan 09 2013 02:15 PM
... in an english windows only, of course. But opening the system menu by Alt-Space is international. Check the underlined letters in the menu.
Is there another word for synonym?

msandry
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Last active: Apr 14 2006 05:46 PM

Would anyone be interested in my making this available for download? And if so, in what format?

Johnny,
I think it'd be a great idea.
If you'd do in PDF, then it'd look the way you want it to look no matter what. Now that Macs with the new Intel chipset emulate Windows very nicely, those users would be hungry for this information, providing a new audience for you (if you're interested in this kind of notoriety), and they'd have no problem downloading it while in their native OS. This would make your hard work even more valuable.

Marty