Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

text-to-speech voice: vista's Anna for win XP

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic
gwarble
  • Members
  • 622 posts
  • Last active: Oct 02 2014 05:17 AM
hey all,
i wasn't sure where to put this, but here's the default TTS voice from windows vista, to use in windows xp (only tested in xp pro sp3)

Microsoft Anna - English US:
<!-- m -->http://www.mediafire...zwwzgw/Anna.zip<!-- m -->
[35.5 MB]

if yuo're using TTS at all, this voice is way better than Microsoft SAM that ships with XP...

- gwarble

jballi
  • Members
  • 1022 posts
  • Last active:
I gave it a quick try. Had to. Curiosity put a gun to my head and made me do it.

Sounds OK on my PC (3Ghz P4, 2GB, XP Pro, SP3) but the voice is a bit jumpy on my setup. The voice jumps make it a bit harder to understand than the other Microsoft voices. Might need a faster PC to fix it or it might need stuff that is only available on Vista+. Also, the Audio format minimum is approximately 32kHz, 16-Bit Mono. Anything less than that and the voice speaks with a tin-like resonance.

Them be might thoughts...

gwarble
  • Members
  • 622 posts
i never noticed a difference but i'll check more closely... it runs flawlessly on everything i've tried it on, from a laptop which came with vista preinstalled (after installing xp and this version of anna, it sounds the same as the anna that shipped with vista), a couple p4's, a pent D, a 2.2ish core2duo, slow athlonXP (1.6ghz-ish), a slow celeron (1.4ish), and a faster celeron (1.8 maybe)

could be other processes running, but this is a redistributable from m'soft made for xp (streets n trips)

anyone else notice problems?

BoffinbraiN
  • Members
  • 114 posts
  • Last active: Jun 18 2013 07:03 PM
I don't suppose anyone knows of an open-source, general-use speech synthesis engine that supports different voice types? I know of some programs that allow you to paste in text and play with different voices, pitches, speeds etc. and I'd be interested in knowing how they're implemented.

gwarble
  • Members
  • 622 posts
i dont know of any such thing... would be cool though

i think a speech engine is quite a complicated thing, so there aren't many free tools available

here's a good link for info:
<!-- m -->http://www.bytecool.com/voices.htm<!-- m -->

- gwarble

Ace Coder
  • Members
  • 362 posts
  • Last active: Mar 13 2012 11:44 PM
Slightly off topic but its fun to make her say random insults and using AutoHotkey you can trigger her in humorous ways.
I stumbled on TTS and used it to yell at my dog, he actually understood.
:shock:

BoffinbraiN
  • Members
  • 114 posts
  • Last active: Jun 18 2013 07:03 PM
I'm looking at different software available now. You've got to give this a try, especially if you're English. It sounds very convincing!

Festival Text-to-Speech Online Demo

None
  • Members
  • 3199 posts
  • Last active: Apr 13 2014 02:11 AM
Was very choppy on my 1 gigahertz win xp sp3 computer.
but Microsoft Mike and Mary work fine. They also sound much beter than Sam. They can be downloaded at...
http://www.bytecool.com/voices.htm

gwarble
  • Members
  • 622 posts
i never noticed any choppiness on any of the pcs i've tried... but i usuall use a one sentence "alert" and not reading paragraphs of text, so i'll see if i can recreate that...

slowest machine running here is 1.2ish celeron with 512mb ram... and works great saying "Attention, the %MachineName% has finished" or similar... but i've got an old 500mhz (i think) with a nlite-stripped xp installation that runs pretty well considering its age... i'll try it on there and see what i can find out

- gwarble

None
  • Members
  • 3199 posts
  • Last active: Apr 13 2014 02:11 AM
Related

Dimio's New version of DSpeech now has command line suport
http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/

It's possible to specify a file name to open and automatically reproduce. This allows to perform in automatic way a script.
SYNTAX:
DSPEECH.ExE [/Play] [/Speak] [/Wav] [/Mp3] [/Ogg] [/Hidden|/HiddenFix] [FileToSpeech.txt]
COMMAND LINE SAMPLES:
- To open a file:
DSpeech.exe source.txt
- To start a file reproduction:
DSpeech.exe /Play source.txt
- To speak aloud a short sentence:
DSpeech.exe /Speak Hello!
- To convert a text file to mp3:
DSpeech.exe /mp3 source.txt [destination.mp3]
- To convert a text file to ogg:
DSpeech.exe /ogg source.txt [destination.ogg]
- To convert a text file to wav:
DSpeech.exe /wav source.txt [destination.wav]

Might make scripts that use TTS easier to make.

gwarble
  • Members
  • 622 posts
i can't imagine an easier way to use TTS than foom's great TTS() function... stdlib compliant, works great for me

TTS("text to say")
TTS(VarWithSpeech)

http://www.autohotke...pic.php?t=16552

and i tried "Anna" on xp pro sp3, using long paragraphs without any stuttering on my end... check for other processes running possibly...

- gwarble

• Guests
  • Last active:
TTS ("text to say")
how to increase the speed of speech

jballi
  • Members
  • 1022 posts
  • Last active:

TTS ("text to say")
how to increase the speed of speech

Increase the speed? What's the hurry? Personally, I have great fun getting the TTS engine to slow down by getting Microsoft Sam to say "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude". Give it a try.

[/fun mode]

The TTS function uses the system defaults (voice, speed, etc.) to speak. If you want to increase the speed of the speech, go to the Control Panel ("Speech" icon on Windows XP) and change the speed.

If you want to programmatically change the speed, you'll need to write the code yourself. It's not hard but it will take some research. Try this post for some help:

Text-To-Speech via COM - Examples

pajenn
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • Last active: Jul 20 2014 04:06 PM
Anna's a bit choppy on my laptop as well. Microsoft Mary isn't bad, although some of the commercial voices sound better (less computerized) e.g. NeoSpeech Kate.

gwarble
  • Members
  • 622 posts
so i'm not sure what else you all have running on your computers, but i just did a fresh install of xp pro sp3 on an old laptop i have, a dell 400MHZ pentium II laptop with 256mb ram... and am seeing/hearing NO skipping, delays, pausing, etc... with short or long sentences or paragraphs...

just to expunge anyone's hesitation... i highly recommend this voice on windows xp

- gwarble