Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Air Force.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
Eedis
  • Members
  • 1774 posts
  • Last active: Feb 07 2014 01:11 AM
I was thinking about joining the Air Force. I was wanting to do something that involves computer's like my brother did, but what he did I don't think I'd exactly want to do.

I was wondering if there was a field that involved software and programming. If you know of any, please let me know so I can look into it.

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts
  • Last active: Nov 27 2013 06:46 PM
That option isn't entirly up to you though. Unless things have changed in the last 5+ years.

I enlisted and had to take a test and was placed into a job catigory based off the test results. I did have an option to choose between X Y and Z, but they also have 'quota' to fill, almost on a first come first servce basis so even though you test into a skill set, you may still not be able to enroll in that job classification.

That was for the Marines at least, so it may be (and hopefully is) different for the AirForce.

Eedis
  • Members
  • 1774 posts
  • Last active: Feb 07 2014 01:11 AM
Hmm, well once my brother wakes up, I'll have to talk to him about it.

Elesar
  • Members
  • 696 posts
  • Last active: Jun 20 2014 08:38 PM
I had the same experience as Carcophan in the Marines, back in '02 when I joined up.

I tested good on the ASVAB, so they gave me a list of technical jobs, and said pick three. I put in my options, along with where I wanted to be stationed (East, West, Over-Seas), and just had to wait for the results after I finished boot camp.

Wound up with one of the jobs I picked, but on the East coast instead of West, though I'm happier with being out here now than I was then...I have come to realize that I really don't like the west coast all that much :p

codybear
  • Members
  • 600 posts
  • Last active: May 05 2014 02:42 AM

I had the same experience as Carcophan in the Marines, back in '02 when I joined up.

I tested good on the ASVAB, so they gave me a list of technical jobs, and said pick three. I put in my options, along with where I wanted to be stationed (East, West, Over-Seas), and just had to wait for the results after I finished boot camp.

Wound up with one of the jobs I picked, but on the East coast instead of West, though I'm happier with being out here now than I was then...I have come to realize that I really don't like the west coast all that much :p

hahaha, east coast sucks. :D
West siiide till I die. hahah.

I actually haven't been to the east coast.
On my recent trip to Washington I went through all of the states on the west coast. hah.

\offtopic

I never got to take the ASVAB, the day we were suppose to someone pulled the firealarm and they wouldn't reschedule or let us continue the test.

Elesar
  • Members
  • 696 posts
  • Last active: Jun 20 2014 08:38 PM

hahaha, east coast sucks. :D
West siiide till I die. hahah.

I actually haven't been to the east coast.
On my recent trip to Washington I went through all of the states on the west coast. hah.

Eh, was born in south Cali., spent the first five years there, have been back several times, and each time I can't wait to leave :p Maybe if I spent some time in some other part of the West, I'm not big on people, and large, tightly packed groups of people is a nightmare.

One of my younger brothers is actually stationed out there right now though, and he loves it.

But yeah, Air Force is the way to go for a better shot at technical jobs, though I don't know if there are programming jobs...

codybear
  • Members
  • 600 posts
  • Last active: May 05 2014 02:42 AM

Eh, was born in south Cali., spent the first five years there, have been back several times, and each time I can't wait to leave :p Maybe if I spent some time in some other part of the West, I'm not big on people, and large, tightly packed groups of people is a nightmare.

I live in arizona, it's too hot out here.
I'd much rather live in Seattle (just got back from a week and half vacation there and it was amazing).
Great weather, chill people, everything within walking distance.
We got offered all kinds of drugs and alcohol just walking down the beach...once people realize you're cool, it's on. lol.

But yeah, Air Force is the way to go for a better shot at technical jobs, though I don't know if there are programming jobs...

Only job I'd ever do in the military is fly the predators. lol