Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

ALT-TAB replacement with icons and window titles in ListView

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic
TheDewd
  • Members
  • 842 posts
  • Last active: Jun 10 2016 06:55 PM
---------------------------

AltTab.ahk

Error:  The same variable cannot be used for more than one control.

Specifically: vGui1_Tab

Line#

383: LV_Delete()  

384: Else

385: {

387: Gui,1: +AlwaysOnTop +ToolWindow -Caption

388: Gui,1: Color,%Tab_Colour%

389: Gui,1: Margin,0,0

391: Gui,1: Font,s%Font_Size_Tab%,%Font_Type_Tab%

--->	392: Gui,1: Add,Tab2,vGui1_Tab HWNDhw_Gui1_Tab Background w%Gui1_Tab__width% -0x200,%Group_List%

393: Gui,1: Tab,%Group_Active%,,Exact

394: Gui,1: Add,StatusBar,Background%StatusBar_Background_Colour%

395: Gui,1: Font,s%Font_Size%,%Font_Type%

396: Gui,1: Add,ListView,x-1 y+-4 r%Window_Found_Count% w%Listview_Width% AltSubmit -Multi NoSort Background%Listview_Colour% Count10 gListView_Event vListView1 HWNDhw_LV_ColorChange,%Col_Title_List%

397: LV_ModifyCol(2, "Integer")  

398: SB_SetParts(SB_Width, SB_Width, SB_Width)  

399: Gosub,SB_Update__CPU

The current thread will exit.

OK   

Guest 0412
  • Guests
  • Last active:
This is a fantastic utility. I haven't been able to figure out groups, though, which seem very promising. Is it possible to (1) create a group for all Word documents and (2) cycle through those documents only using a single key combination? (E.g., alt+tab to access the main list and win+tab to access the Word documents group.) I haven't been able to create a group that consists of all windows associated with a given process. I also haven't been able to set a hotkey to cycle through only one group's windows.

anarki
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Last active: Mar 05 2012 12:08 PM
Check capitalHs release. It contains some predefined groups and allows you to add more.

Eric
  • Guests
  • Last active:

This is a fantastic utility. I haven't been able to figure out groups, though, which seem very promising. Is it possible to (1) create a group for all Word documents and (2) cycle through those documents only using a single key combination? (E.g., alt+tab to access the main list and win+tab to access the Word documents group.) I haven't been able to create a group that consists of all windows associated with a given process. I also haven't been able to set a hotkey to cycle through only one group's windows.

Have you tried ctrl+tab? Sounds like it might be what you're looking for...

musichemyst
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2014 02:15 AM
This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for -- and more! Thanks a lot, lvl!

After using apps like VistaSwitcher off and on for years, I got fed up with their quirks despite the fact that they're otherwise pretty good Alt + Tab replacements. The deal breaker was that VistaSwitcher hard coded Alt + Backtick so it limits the swapping only to the active window and any child windows. I understand that that functionality comes the from the much loved built-in feature on MacOS and I can see the appeal, but long ago I began using Alt + Backtick to toggle panels, sidebars, etc. in various apps and now that implementation is so widespread that ranks behind only Alt + Tab and Ctrl + Tab as far as system-wide combos I can't live with out.

So I was about to give up and just accept the overly-minimalist but at least totally reliable Alt + Tab functionality built into Windows XP. And then I thought about AHK possibilites and a light bulb went on (a light bulb that usually goes on sooner since I write AHK code on a nearly daily basis). At first, I was just going to make my own task swapper from scratch and I had barely gotten started when I found this script.

This thing not only does everything I wanted, it has a lot of useful features I hadn't expected and even more cool aspects that I hadn't even considered in a task swapper. And the best part is, the handful of things I don't like (very marginal issues, mostly stylistic or aesthetic stuff) I already know I can tweak to my hearts content because I can just edit the script.

So yeah, this thing DESTROYS every other app in its class -- and being a habitual app/OS tweaker, I've sought out and tested a monumental amount of apps over the years. Thank again for creating this; I'm off to tinker around with it.

[ DOWNLOAD INFO : A copy of this script is available at GitHub (https://github.com/s...ster/AltTab.ahk). I'm not sure if that account is of any relation to the original author, lvl, but since the download links that lvl posted in this thread are now dead, I thought it was worth mentioning that there's an alternative source that appears to be legit. ]

cracksloth
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Last active: Mar 19 2013 07:48 PM

Has anyone tried to adapt this to work well in Windows 8?  I haven't played with it much but my observations are:

• icons are not loaded for metro/modern apps (and I have no idea if a fix would be possible but honestly I don't really even need them)
  • the entries for metro/modern apps work unreliably - it seems like you can only switch to a metro/modern app within the first few minutes after it is launched (after that it stops working) - very weird
  • does not load the icon for Chrome (even with the tweak listed here that replaces the GetClassLong function with the GetClassLongPrt function)

Well, some may wonder why I'm trying to resurrect an older script but honestly, I think Win8 needs it.  There are 2 task switching paradigms (the metro/modern task switcher and the desktop taskbar).  The only task switcher that lists both metro/modern apps and traditional desktop windows is the default Windows alt-tab switcher.  This means I am pretty much forced to use alt-tab as my task switcher (because all taskbars have become incomplete and therefor useless).  If I'm being forced to use a hotkey menu for switching tasks, I might as well embrace it and with autohotkey I would have the ability to tweak it to my preferences.  I thought this script would be a good start but I'm a bit over my head especially when it comes to how Win8 deals with "modern" apps.  Does anyone with more scripting kung fu share similar concerns?  Or is there a more recent alt-tab replacement script that I should be using as a starter?

philu
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Last active: Jan 21 2016 06:34 PM

bro u mad

****ing awesome script, thank you so much. Looks like it was a whole load of work.

I'm bumping this because the link to the source code is dead.

It is still available here though https://github.com/r...ster/AltTab.ahk but it would be nice to see this in the starting post.

Regards

Skrell
  • Members
  • 384 posts
  • Last active: Jul 07 2016 05:03 PM

Thank you philu...and chance someone can reupload the screenshots too?