Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Hooking directX / graphics overlay for game

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic
Lemming
  • Members
  • 184 posts
  • Last active: Feb 03 2014 11:03 AM
I'm aware of the WinSet Transparent, TransColor and AlwaysonTop commands, but I can't seem to make them work in fullscreen games. The same script works fine on non-fullscreen apps.

Some details about this game: It only works with nvidia or ATI cards. It uses directX8/9. It only runs at 1024x768. It detects when it is not fullscreen/foreground, and will timeout in less than 30 sec.

I would like to "punch thru" the game to see other programs behind (e.g. web browser, IM) and/or write my own programs to overlay the game.

From what I've gathered off the Net, it seems I need to hook directX, which doesn't seem to be possible with AHK. Perhaps something for the wishlist?

BTW, the standard tricks for making a program windowed all do not work for this game. I can't create a shortcut to its exe file either, because the game is lauched by a separate loader program.

Anyone know of a solution for fullscreen games?

haywire
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Jun 20 2007 07:15 PM
Bumping this topic because I'd love to be able to make popups and things that could work in a fullscreen D3D/GL app, but they always loose focus and break :C

Any ideas?
asdfg

JackleJack
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Last active: Jun 12 2007 12:27 AM
Hooking into directX, sounds like your trying to make a hack, even if you're not ahk wouldn't create such a thing because it would be a tool for hackers. AHK gets enough flack as it is.

dandy
  • Members
  • 49 posts
  • Last active: Apr 28 2014 01:21 PM
to add my 5 cents...

im looking for something like this too to add a countdown timer into kiosk mode computers.

Direct3d-hook.dll looks good for such operaions, but how to control it with ahk?

thanks for any help provided.

bmcclure
  • Members
  • 774 posts
  • Last active: Jan 04 2014 10:44 PM
Where is Direct3d-hook.dll available from or documented?

dandy
  • Members
  • 49 posts
http://nexe.gamedev.... ... -11-23.zip

let us know if you fond a way to use it with ahk :)

bmcclure
  • Members
  • 774 posts
Wow :shock:

I have VS so I can build the DLL probably, but it may take some modification. Hmm...

*digs in*

dandy
  • Members
  • 49 posts
well, the dll is included in the zip,no need to build it again unless you want to make some changes,keep us posted.

bmcclure
  • Members
  • 774 posts
Yeah but there's no documentation or anything with it that I see so I don't know what functions there are. Am I missing something in this zip package? The readme only seems to apply to the vc++ project files but not to the compiled version.

dandy
  • Members
  • 49 posts
http://www.gamedev.n... ... _id=359794

original release thread

bmcclure
  • Members
  • 774 posts
Wouldn't this method by the same author be easier to use for a game overlay?

I've switched to trying to figure out this other dll first because it seems like if I can figure out how to call it properly, it should do everything I need. He offers an unmanaged c++ library and a managed .NET DLL. I guess the question is which one would be easiest to try and convert into something AHK can use.

dandy
  • Members
  • 49 posts
i just wish some of the very talented people here come to help.

hell, i'll even throw a 100$ for a full solution to be able to display either text or an image over any fullscreen game using ahk :).

bmcclure
  • Members
  • 774 posts
I'm with ya. I somewhat doubt my ability to successfully create a C++ wrapper for this on my own, which sounds like what is probably required (for the overlay dll). I will start my first attempt today, however.

stekkie
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • Last active: Jan 20 2008 08:48 AM
I hope it works, it will be awesome to overlay with ahk

derRaphael
  • Members
  • 872 posts
  • Last active: Mar 19 2013 04:42 PM
to inject content into a fullscreen d3d app wont work as a generic solution for every d3d app around.

this depends on the method - well at least the ones described.

see this article for details
http://www.codeguru....hp/c11453/#more

the method described above (not in my post) uses system hooks for direct 3d and works with the same principle.

this method slows down the process then more calls have to be redirected and checked.

it should be possible though - just a question of time to get this in ahk running.

greets
derRaphael

All scripts, unless otherwise noted, are hereby released under CC-BY