Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Appifyer (0.99 alpha) - Launch & hotkey any apps

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic
Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active:
Looking good. I think the site could benefit from some AJAX and a few other jQuery based techniques. You already have jQuery on every page.

The four non-forum sections of the site can be attached to AJAX requests, which load page content into your div.content. The div.submenu links can do the same thing. It prevents the page from refreshing when loading new content and generally looks nicer.

If you're going to have a long list of apps, it might be better to not load all the description content right away, but instead wait for a click. The chances that someone will look at everything before leaving the page are slim to none. It would be a trade-off between initial page loading time and page navigation time.

Also, in your .menu, the apps link goes to "/apps". You have a permanent redirection from "/apps" to "/apps/" (with the slash). That's fine if someone gets redirected when they type it in their address bar, or clicks a link on another site. The problem is that they request /apps, and then have to make a completely new request. Overall it's about a 100ms delay each time they click on the "apps" link on your site. You could fix it by ending the href with a /.

It also looks like every screenr video is requesting jQuery from Google. This makes your whole apps page slow down by over a second. This happens before clicking on any of the apps.

Try putting vertical-align: middle on #submenu a. On the devs page one of them seems to stick out.

Comparing your 'social' and 'staff' pages to the rest of the site, they load about 3 times faster. I think the reason is the videos on the other pages.

Keep up the good work :D

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1314 posts
  • Last active: Mar 06 2014 10:23 AM

Looking good. I think the site could benefit from some AJAX and a few other jQuery based techniques. You already have jQuery on every page.

The four non-forum sections of the site can be attached to AJAX requests, which load page content into your div.content. The div.submenu links can do the same thing. It prevents the page from refreshing when loading new content and generally looks nicer.

If you're going to have a long list of apps, it might be better to not load all the description content right away, but instead wait for a click. The chances that someone will look at everything before leaving the page are slim to none. It would be a trade-off between initial page loading time and page navigation time.

Also, in your .menu, the apps link goes to "/apps". You have a permanent redirection from "/apps" to "/apps/" (with the slash). That's fine if someone gets redirected when they type it in their address bar, or clicks a link on another site. The problem is that they request /apps, and then have to make a completely new request. Overall it's about a 100ms delay each time they click on the "apps" link on your site. You could fix it by ending the href with a /.

It also looks like every screenr video is requesting jQuery from Google. This makes your whole apps page slow down by over a second. This happens before clicking on any of the apps.

Try putting vertical-align: middle on #submenu a. On the devs page one of them seems to stick out.

Comparing your 'social' and 'staff' pages to the rest of the site, they load about 3 times faster. I think the reason is the videos on the other pages.

Keep up the good work :D

Thanks alot for the feedback, the pointers are well thought out and pinpoint a few areas I could improve on. Keep in mind I'm just-n-just learning AJAX, but I understand what you mean and will look at it. I'm also "stuck" behind an awesome line, so page load time is something I rarely notice myself. Especially the videos should be improved though, gotcha there.

Loading the content with AJAX is a nice technique, but I got stuck on the part where the URL doesn't change (do you know what I mean?).

Fixed the #menu, aswell as vertical-align:middle. I'll take a look at injecting the videos with AJAX atleast (as for the content, "why not"). Or atleast load it last.

sdias
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Last active: Mar 02 2012 03:49 PM
I just began using Appifier, and I have some feedback.

Apart from changing the default hotkey to
~MButton & RButton
I've run the program as it came, and it is great.
I've noticed some bugs:

1) The feedback tool returns an error;
Posted Image

2) The program doesn't support ICO files which contain a 256x256 picture;

3) The middle-click on start button doesn't work (for me, probably is related to the fact I have some programs that also interact with the start button).

There is also a feature that would be handy, which I had to find a workaround to.

I use a program called Everything that is always running on the background.
When I try to launch it through Appifier, it fails to launch it and instead plays a beep sound.
I understand that this is to prevent multiple instances, as it focus on the window if it finds it.
The problem is that Everything is minimized to tray, and if configured, when run (opening Everything.exe) it will create a window and focus it, or just focus on a opened window. Appifier fails to do the former.
The workaround I used was to have a external loader load Everything.exe (in this case, NirCMD), but if Appifier had the option to simply run the program I wish, as a per-app choice, it would be great.

Sorry for the wall of text, and thank you for this great software.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Jan 15 2014 02:47 PM
I would second having "Launch or Activate" be optional. I initially set #N to be Notepad... but I use several instances of Notepad fairly often. I gave up on using Appifyer and just added "#n::Run Notepad" to my main script, so it wasn't a problem for me (an avid scripter), but it might be for the target userpool (mainly non-scripters).

Just my 2¢ ;)

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1314 posts

Sorry for the wall of text, and thank you for this great software.

Thanks for the wall of text, and sorry for the lacks in the software ;)

As for the middleclick, I don't know if I can do something - but next version will show the app menu from tray by default left-click (right-click to show menu).

As for icon files, I'll see if I can improve the way they are loaded. I have noticed icons also fail to load sometimes from exe files, and I hope that I can use GDI+ to load the icon and display it on the GUI.

I would second having "Launch or Activate" be optional

[...]

Just my 2¢ ;)

I have intended to make the "Launch or Activate" optional for the beta release (which I am testing internally, improving etc.). I've also considered improving it to force applications to restart/quit if [something intuitive, for example if the user spams the launch hotkey]. I don't know if it'll be changable app-specifically.

One of the bug fixes is that it doesn't use COM to send feedback - but tells my web server to send it instead.

In addition, I am considering adding a new full screen (!) launch mode inspired by Windows 8. The mockup script looks something like this at the moment - anyone else than me who would find that cool? The advantage is that it allows for a beautiful background, nice effects, and much visual clear space.

sdias
  • Members
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply.

In addition, I am considering adding a new full screen (!) launch mode inspired by Windows 8. The mockup script looks something like this at the moment - anyone else than me who would find that cool? The advantage is that it allows for a beautiful background, nice effects, and much visual clear space.

For me the most important feature of Appifyer is its responsiveness and small size. It runs instantly and allows to load a program rapidly using only the mouse. I fear using full screen will make it less practical and slower. But it's just my opinion. :)

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1314 posts
I agree Sdias. However, I would not implement a clumsy mode. Ah well we'll see where developing/testing leads me... by the way, you did notice you can bring forth the menu and then launch the apps by pressing the 1st letter of an app name? Just asking, cos you mentioned the mouse!

I apologize to all for the delayed beta & source release, it has not been my intention at all to delay it as much as I've had to.

sdias
  • Members
  • 3 posts

I agree Sdias. However, I would not implement a clumsy mode. Ah well we'll see where developing/testing leads me... by the way, you did notice you can bring forth the menu and then launch the apps by pressing the 1st letter of an app name? Just asking, cos you mentioned the mouse!

I apologize to all for the delayed beta & source release, it has not been my intention at all to delay it as much as I've had to.

I did. I mostly use it to launch rapidly things, either using it only with the mouse or the keyboard.
There's three more features that I think would be handy:

1) Moving the settings choice to the bottom. It would be faster to run the apps, because I wouldn't have to move the cursor down everytime. (for example, when launching the first app)

2) Hotkey the apps by enumeration: After launching the Appifyer menu, you could press the '1' key to run the first entry, '2' key for the second, etc. (I know I could simply rename the entries, adding the number as a prefix, but it would be nice to have it by default)

3) Add more than one global hotkey: as I have it, I can launch Appifyer quickly with the mouse, and choose what I want with it too easily.
It is handy when I am browsing or doing a similar task where I am mostly using only the mouse.
But when I am coding, for example, it would be handy to simultaneously have it bounded to a key like Caps Lock, or something similar. I can simulate the mouse hotkey with AHK, AFAIK, but it isn't user friendly at all.

Again, thank you for this app. It's so helpful, I am constantly using it. And also thanks for Zizorz, I used to use Shotty and others, but Zizorz also does the job well, is faster to load and isn't always running.
I have some questions concerning it: when uploading to ImageShack, is the image deleted after some time? Is it public (to people which I don't share the link with)?

TheGreatSwami Woo
  • Members
  • 237 posts
  • Last active: Jan 22 2012 03:31 PM
I would love it if Appifier came with it's own searcher too (bit like Ndroid) so you would have the menu for most used apps and a searcher for less used.

I also think the default behaviour on left clicking the icon should be to show your apps menu for quick launching (some people dont want to remember more hot keys) At the moment you have to right click the icon and then left click on the appsmenu. I think RightClicking on the icon should be to get to settings.
I think it would be neat if you could also instead of having to click on the icon - just bounce your cursor off the side of the screen to show apps menu
The GreatSwami has spoken :shock:

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1314 posts
Call to Arms! AutoHotkey coders - take a look at the (new instructions at) http://appifyer.com/devs/ and see if you would like to (try) to publish an appified app of your own - it should not take many minutes. It'd would be very helpful to me to see how it works for your apps, etc. Don't worry if something fails, I can sanitize it manually (for example if your app is missing a picture or so).

Again, thank you for this app. It's so helpful, I am constantly using it.

Glad to hear that!

Regarding Zizorz - the images should (90% sure) be private (unless you share the link). I "keep promising" to prio Zizorz high, because I know it's my most popular app (beating even Appifyer at the moment.)

1) Moving the settings choice to the bottom. It would be faster to run the apps, because I wouldn't have to move the cursor down everytime. (for example, when launching the first app)

A simple design choice - but bottom does make more sense after having tried both. Approved.

2) Hotkey the apps by enumeration: After launching the Appifyer menu, you could press the '1' key to run the first entry, '2' key for the second, etc. (...)

Although I would really approve of the idea, I cannot do it at the moment with the current app menu, because the "Menu, Show" will capture all hotkeys internally. If someone has a solution, I'd be delighted. Denied.

3) Add more than one global hotkey: as I have it, I can launch Appifyer quickly with the mouse, and choose what I want with it too easily. (...).

I might have to consider how to implement "advanced options" in an user-friendly way. However, I have now added support for the ini key "AppsMenuHotkey_Alt" (which you can manually add in the "Data\AppifyerSettings.ini" file), so advanced users can add an extra one. Under consideration.

I would love it if Appifier came with it's own searcher too (bit like Ndroid) so you would have the menu for most used apps and a searcher for less used.

I would love that too, the only limitation is time & coding skills. If I can add it nicely, I will add it. The vision I have is that apps that you use:

Daily > Hotkey or autostart
Often > Apps menu
Seldom > Searchfield/full app list
Haven't got it > Download it easely at appifyer.com

The other launch modes in serious consideration are triggered launching (launch when another application launches f.ex.), the Win8 style mentioned above, & mouse gestures.

So, your suggestion is under consideration.

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1314 posts
A basic intellilaunch has been added, using the collaborative IntelliEdit control as base.

Looks like this at the moment:

Posted Image

I like the looks of Launchy (customized by changing the PNG), so if noone complains I will add support for a custom PNG, make it semi-transparent using GDI, and add a smooth fade-in.

I also think the default behaviour on left clicking the icon should be to show your apps menu for quick launching (some people dont want to remember more hot keys) At the moment you have to right click the icon and then left click on the appsmenu. I think RightClicking on the icon should be to get to settings.
I think it would be neat if you could also instead of having to click on the icon - just bounce your cursor off the side of the screen to show apps menu
The GreatSwami has spoken :shock:

Sorry, I missed your second and third suggestion. As for the tray icon behaviour, it is changed in v1.2 beta to be AppsMenu by default. As for bringing your mouse off the screen, it has and will be considered. It's a matter of whether it can be implemented smooth enough to make it worthwhile.

TheGreatSwami Woo
  • Members
  • 237 posts
  • Last active: Jan 22 2012 03:31 PM
Just downloaded the latest (from link on first page of this thread)
I still have to rightclick the icon in the tray, then left click on the APPSMENU, then when that pops up I can then choose which app I want. I think this is too many clicks. I think one left click on the tray icon should bring up this menu as default (or at least be a choice). At the moment if you left click on the icon you get All the settings choices - how often will you want to mess with these? as often as you launch apps? I dont think so therefore It would be better if you got to the settings menu with a Right click on the icon.
Just my opinion, but it seems to be that way with many apps, left click to launch and rightclick for further choices/settings

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1314 posts

Just downloaded the latest (from link on first page of this thread)
I still have to rightclick the icon in the tray, then left click on the APPSMENU, then when that pops up I can then choose which app I want. I think this is too many clicks. I think one left click on the tray icon should bring up this menu as default (or at least be a choice). At the moment if you left click on the icon you get All the settings choices - how often will you want to mess with these? as often as you launch apps? I dont think so therefore It would be better if you got to the settings menu with a Right click on the icon.
Just my opinion, but it seems to be that way with many apps, left click to launch and rightclick for further choices/settings

Sorry, didn't clarify: The 1.2 beta is not yet release publically. Working on it. Will look like this.

When the next version is released, if auto-update is enabled, it should be possible to simply use the built-in update function to update.

PEG
  • Guests
  • Last active:
url := "http://google.com"
http:=ComObjCreate("WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5.1")
http.open("GET", url, false)
http.send()
MsgBox, % http.Status

Here's the little example made by gamax92
on my request.
Should be used before UrlDownloadToFile, so no bogus html 404 files are written as the intended file.

PEG
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Function URLStatus

URLStatus(URL="") ;[b]By PEG & gamax92[/b]
{
http:=ComObjCreate("WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5.1")
http.open("GET", url, false)
http.send()
return http.Status
}

Ex: Status:=URLStatus("http://google.com")
MsgBox, URL %Status%
;if site Ok return 200 .. if down, return 404

Implement to remoteResource()

URLStatus:=URLStatus(URL)
If URLStatus = 200 ;If status OK, Go ahead and download
{
         FileCreateDir, %Directory%
         UrlDownloadToFile, %URL%, %Directory%\%Resource%
} Else
Traytip,, %URL% Error: %URLStatus%... ,, 1 ; Optional
Return URLStatus ;Error Nr# mostly 404