Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Folder Options X for Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic
T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
  • Last active: Feb 01 2014 11:14 PM
Another fine release brought to you by T800 Productions. :wink:
Folder Options X is a Windows Explorer add-on that brings useful features from Windows Vista to Windows 7, and more...

Posted Image
Disable fullrow selection:
Posted Image
Show column sort headers in all views:
Posted Image
Enable drag & drop icon reordering:
Posted Image

Project homepage:
http://free-sk.t-com...lderOptions.htm

I hope you like those nice icon, I've made them from
Posted Image "Farm-Fresh Web Icons" by FatCow Web Hosting.

Full source code is included so you can build project yourself using VC2008 Express, WinSDK 7 and ATL from latest WDK.

Pilom
  • Guests
  • Last active:
In the library the drag and drop does not work for me, the separation bar appears but when I drop the file it returns the the original position.
Do you have an explanation ?

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
It might be because the libraries are not actual physical folders but virtual representation of files somewhere else on the disk, so I guess libraries have it's own ways of representing files and ignore applied settings.

Trying to fix Microsoft's mistakes doesn't always work. :?
"It's not a bug, it's a feature"

Pilom
  • Guests
  • Last active:
You are right, when i don't use the short cut but mannually (computer/c/user/myusername/My pictures) it works. Window 7 is really strange ...

Thank you for remedy to the lack of the drag and drop !

iBob35555VR
  • Members
  • 89 posts
  • Last active: Dec 24 2012 03:32 PM
really nice ^^
... All posts where I said the word "smart", maybe, I meant "small" as I had them confused. "Smart script","Smart change" etc are examples.

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
New version 1.6 is available.
Vertical scrollbar bug should be fixed now, and I added new option to keep focus on the files view while navigating the folders, just like in Navigation Pane XP.

titanrw
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Sep 09 2012 09:20 PM
Just tried this. It didn't quite do what I wanted for disable full row select. I was expecting it to change windows 7 to behave like windows xp. The only part you select is the filename, but only where the filename is. I did manage to get this to work in windows 7 manually. Lots of registry changing, rebooting, etc. I can't remember how I did it though. This is a screenshot from a windows 7 computer that shows the selection 'style' I'm talking about.

Posted Image

This allows you to select files based on their filename length. This is sometimes a huge time saver.

Is this functionality possible to automate? This brings back all the functionality windows explorer had in windows xp.

Thanks.

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
What can be automated depends on what is exposed to the user or external code.
I can't say if it can be done programmatically if I don't know what you did, but registry changes are usually just a lucky shot because often Microsoft has it's own way of implementing things, beside of what's documented. Code I made is based on MSDN documentation, so I expect it to work as it should.

azure
  • Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Last active: Mar 18 2015 09:06 AM
please update your photos, the links are dead

Fino
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • Last active: Jan 11 2011 03:24 PM

This is a screenshot from a windows 7 computer that shows the selection 'style' I'm talking about.

OMG, I'm dreaming of that! So, at least it is possible.

Does it work the same way in open/save dialogs also?

titanrw
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Sep 09 2012 09:20 PM
I remembered what I had to do to get this to work.

You need folder options X, combined with "classic shell", and optionally "classic start menu".

As far as open dialogs, mine still use the whole row select. Maybe it's possible to get those to change as well, I'm not sure.

98% of my file management work is done in windows explorer itself, and setting things up the way of windows 2000 is so much more productive.

Fino
  • Members
  • 14 posts

I remembered what I had to do to get this to work.
As far as open dialogs, mine still use the whole row select. Maybe it's possible to get those to change as well, I'm not sure.

98% of my file management work is done in windows explorer itself, and setting things up the way of windows 2000 is so much more productive.

Yes, having classic-style explorer is a big relief. I had to switch to Explorer++ finally. With some enhancements, though. Thankfully it's open source.

Just hoped this also could be done for open/save dialogs. So much awful "enhancements" in Win 7 (compared to XP) and so much pain making it workable!..

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
After a little bit of testing...
It's because you have disabled windows themes, that's why you get that old Win2000 (unthemed) style.
Posted Image

Fino
  • Members
  • 14 posts

After a little bit of testing...
It's because you have disabled windows themes, that's why you get that old Win2000 (unthemed) style.

But still full row selection in Navigation Panel, right? Although displayed in xp-style, behaves like full row. Just to be sure.

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
The screenshot above is with full row selection disabled.