Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

HP Laptop acts as though Ctrl key is permanently pressed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
YoungWinston
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Last active: Dec 16 2011 11:51 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to help out a friend who has an old HP laptop running Windows XP (SP1) which he wants to give to his daughter.
A couple of weeks ago, out of the blue, it suddenly started acting as though the Ctrl key was permanently pressed. Any place that you need to type in text either doesn't work or executes the "normal action" for the Ctrl+key pressed (eg, pressing the G key in Notepad gives you the 'Go to' dialog).

The keyboard (which, I should mention, is an AZERTY) is plainly not at fault, because I've wiped the entire machine (including the MBR on the hard disk) and installed Linux on it, and it works just fine.

Tried re-installing Windows XP from the original disks and very strange things start to happen:
1. Setup seems to get the whole kb config wrong and requires you to press ? (which is in the same place as the M key on a QWERTY) to simulate the Enter key; and several other screens also seem to have difficulties recognising keystrokes (a few of the keys at the top, like backspace, home, end and the F[0-9] keys appear to work normally, but none of the letters.
2. Finally got XP installed (including a full disk format) and the machine rebooted perfectly ONCE. Keyboard working, everything fine.
3. Booted a 2nd time and I'm back to square 1.
4. Tried removing all 2nd language keyboards in the languages section: No go.
5. Tried installing the SP3 upgrade: No go.
6. Tried removing the keyboard driver so that Windows would reinstall on reboot: No go.

One other thing: If I hold down a letter key at the start of the boot sequence and keep it held until Windows starts beeping because you're holding a key down, everything works just fine.

Anybody have any ideas? This site was oft posted on the pages I Googled. If not, I guess it'll just be a Linux box from now on.

Thanks in advance.

Winston

randallf
  • Members
  • 711 posts
  • Last active: Jan 07 2014 11:45 PM
It works fine in Linux? I can't imagine... maybe it's the driver?

YoungWinston
  • Members
  • 4 posts

It works fine in Linux? I can't imagine... maybe it's the driver?

Seems odd that it would be. The unit has worked fine for years.
As I said, I also completely wiped the disk (incl. MBR) before re-installing XP (from the original CD). Seems more like something (maybe some weird keystroke combination) has altered the BIOS, or perhaps some setting on the motherboard, that only affects Windows. Haven't been able to find anything useful in the BIOS setup though.

Thanks anyway.

Winston

randallf
  • Members
  • 711 posts
  • Last active: Jan 07 2014 11:45 PM
Try windows 7? It runs as well as XP on anything that runs XP.

YoungWinston
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Try windows 7? It runs as well as XP on anything that runs XP.

Not an option, unfortunately. The guy is out of work, but had this old laptop lying around and wanted to give it to his daughter for Christmas.

I guess I'll have to try setting it up as a dual-boot Linux/XP box and he'll have to explain to her about holding down a letter key when booting.

Winston

SifJar
  • Members
  • 176 posts
  • Last active: Mar 19 2012 03:57 PM
It's an ugly solution, but this should "fix" it:

Ctrl::Return
^a::Return
^b::Return
^c::Return
^d::Return
^e::Return
^f::Return
^g::Return
^h::Return
^i::Return
^j::Return
^k::Return
^l::Return
^m::Return
^n::Return
^o::Return
^p::Return
^q::Return
^r::Return
^s::Return
^t::Return
^u::Return
^v::Return
^w::Return
^x::Return
^y::Return
^z::Return

by "fix" I mean it will completely disable the ctrl button. If you actually need to use the ctrl button for whatever reason, hold shift while pressing ctrl and whatever other button (e.g. what would usually have been "ctrl+o" becomes "shift+ctrl+o")

YoungWinston
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Thanks SifJar. Where would I put that? One of the .ini files? I'm much more familiar with Linux/Unix than with Windows, but I'm happy to give it a try.

Winston

dave_100
  • Members
  • 103 posts
  • Last active: Mar 05 2015 10:03 PM

Thanks SifJar. Where would I put that? One of the .ini files? I'm much more familiar with Linux/Unix than with Windows, but I'm happy to give it a try.

Winston

Create a notepad file with that text in it, save it with the extension .ahk, and open it with AutoHotkey

SifJar
  • Members
  • 176 posts
  • Last active: Mar 19 2012 03:57 PM

Winston

as dave_100 explained, run it as an AHK script. I thought that was what you were asking for considering we are on the AHK forums :p

ms8187
  • Guests
  • Last active:
press and hold both the ctrl keys at the same time and it will fix this issue. this issue is due to sticky key settings.