Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Install AHK syntax highlighting and clips for PSPad v2

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic
toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
  • Last active: Aug 20 2014 04:23 PM

I'll include it when Toralf says it's ready. Maybe that will be the 1.0 release.

It is close to be released. I just want to finish the PSPad Toolsbar first and included it in the installer.

What would be ideal is to have some kind of direct download link on the site that contains a simple installer that sets everything up for AutoHotkey (similar to the installer at the top of this topic but also includes PSPad, if licensing permits it).

I would just give a link to the PSPad Homepage. Installing an Editor should be simple enough. People installing so many things nowadays. Maybe a small app could list the links and give some recommendations, e.g. on useful add-ons. One problem is how to get a direct link to the latest installer. Currently I would only link to the download page

Alternatively (or in addition), a special version of the AHK installer could be made available that includes PSPad and/or a SciTE editor.
Any help in these areas would be appreciated.

Where do you need help?
I don't think that AHK should have an installer that includes the Editors. Adding some small scripts to the AHK path to customize the editors for AHK should be enough. A remark on the web and help pages for recommended editors with a link to their hormpage and a remark on the small help scripts should be sufficient.
Ciao
toralf

I use the latest AHK version (1.1.15+)
Please ask questions in forum on ahkscript.org. Why?
For online reference please use these Docs.

rajat as guest
  • Guests
  • Last active:
long back (before my long absence) i made a script to auto bookmark all sections in a script and to travel between them... its still unposted on this forum. i also use PSPad, so maybe that could also be added to this script... i can maybe post it tonight.

toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
That would be great. What is the difference to the PSPad label Searcher?
Ciao
toralf

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2015 07:45 AM
PSPad label Searcher? what's that?

i did my script long ago and haven't made any change to it since then... it works nicely and is a boon for big scripts... i'll post it soon.

MIA

CleanNews.in : Bite sized latest news headlines from India with zero bloat

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

Installing an Editor should be simple enough.
I don't think that AHK should have an installer that includes the Editors.

One of the biggest criticisms of AutoHotkey in its CNET editorial review was a lack of an integrated scripting environment (such as an editor with customized features for AutoHotkey). I've had discussions with the reviewer about this and other topics and have come to trust his advice. I've also heard from many others both publicly and via e-mail that some kind of built-in editor would add a lot of value, though of course its installation would be purely optional.

toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
I see, I just fear that the download size will be too large.
I looked at the installer of PSPad. The licence seems to allow to distribute it, when Jan is acknowledged. But since I'm not an expert in legal / license issues, someone with legal background should take a closer look.

What should be easy to do, is to create a GUI that guides the user to download the installer from the internet. That would reduce the download size of AHK, since it would only be a tiny script. The disadvantage is that an internet connection is needed.

The installer doesn't seem to support command line parameters (at least I couldn't find any). Thus there are four choices:
1) start the installer but let the user do the installation
2) automate the installer windows. Which might be problamatic in cases of different OS languages and/or if the user wants to specify certain features, e.g. paths.
3) get the cab archive of PSPad, have a AHK GUI to collect the user input, unpack the archive and do the installation with AHK. The needed steps for the installation are still unknown to me.
4) the last choice is to ask Jon to give Chris a speciall version, that he can include into his AHK installer. This will then blow up the AHK installer by 3.2 MB.

In case 4 doesn't work, I guess option 3 is the best way. I tried the command line version of 7zip, but it says it doesn't support that format, even though it should support cab files. So I do not know how to extract the files currently.

Can SOMEONE help me to find out:
- how to decompress the PSPad cab file.
- which changes need to be done to the system to get PSPad installed? Basically, what is done by the installer to a system.
Ciao
toralf

rajat as guest
  • Guests
  • Last active:
If it’s a standard .cab archive then windows' EXPAND command can extract it.

toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
Expand does extract the cab archive, but it doesn't support the sub-directoriies specified in the cab archive. It just places all files in the same folder. Any other idea?
Ciao
toralf

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks for starting to research this. I'd forgotten PSPad was so large (3 MB). Perhaps it would be possible to omit seldom-used features to reduce its size (with the author's permission of course). Alternatively (or in addition), SciTE can be considered since PhiLho has already put a great deal of effort into customizing it for AutoHotkey.

In either case, if the increase in Installer size is too much, it would be best to offer two versions of the Installer so that people can download the small one if they don't need an editor.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2015 07:45 AM
i think the best way is to make a ahk gui with options for path (default read from registry, if not found, then %programfiles%\pspad) etc. to be filled in.

download from internet woud be optional (checkbox), the installer could install all the enhancements to existing PSPad installation.

and the PSPad installation should be fully automated with path etc. given to it by ahk (from earlier asked settings).

MIA

CleanNews.in : Bite sized latest news headlines from India with zero bloat

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
An option to download is nice and should be kept in mind. Hopefully NSIS has a means of achieving downloads from inside an installer.

toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
I played with my PSPad instalation to see how small I can make it.

I striped down the latest PSPad installation. Deleting most of the files but adding german and english spell check. The deleted files add extra features, most AHK users will not use anyway, I assume. I left some files for features with other programming languages.
Compressed to one file this package is 4.4 MB in file size.
Without german spell check file it is 3.5 MB.
Without any spell check it is 2.6 MB.

And striped down to the barebone it is 1.7 MB.
From which the PSPad.exe is 1.7 MB.
Hence, the rest of files can be neglect for size considerations.

Such an archive and the commandline version of 7zip could be FileInstall(ed) into an executable script, that installs PSPad. Or a download button could be in the installer GUI (AHK script). So that it could be downloaded on the fly.

How far should the editor be stripped down?
Which functionalities should be kept/removed?
Ciao
toralf

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks doing all that research and posting your findings.

How far should the editor be stripped down?
Which functionalities should be kept/removed?

Since 1.7 MB is the smallest it can get -- which is nearly as large as the AutoHotkey installer itself -- it would probably best to make "PSPad for AutoHotkey" an entirely separate package. The package could contain PSPad internally or download it upon demand (in case the user already has PSPad installed or wants to install it separately).

doublebogey
  • Members
  • 23 posts
  • Last active: Oct 26 2010 09:08 AM
Hi Toralf

In 0.9, I get a 'not resonding' in PSpad when running from F9.
The script is still working but I can not edit PSPad anymore

Re Install 0.8 and it is good.
Re Install 0.9 and it hangs PSPad when running AHK script.

Running
Latest PSPad 4.5.1
Latest AHK 1.0.44.10
XPHome

Thanks
dB
Everyone makes mistakes, that's why they put erasers on pencils. Milhouse, The Simpsons

toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
Hi doublebogey

Thanks for reporting. But I can't reproduce it. I'm using on two different machines:
PSPad 4.5.2 r2231 and r2234
AHK 1.0.44.09 and 1.0.44.10

So I guess it has something to do with either your script or your setup.
Let's test: Create an empty file and run (F9) this single line
MsgBox, Works
If this works, it is your script that is causing trouble. If the code is not running, then please post the two complete [AutoHotKey] sections from your PSPad.INI file when you have 0.8 and 0.9 installed. They should look similar to this (without the color settings)

[AutoHotkey]
Filter=AutoHotkey (*.ahk)|*.ahk
Compilator Help=C:\Programme\AutoHotkey\AutoHotkey.chm
Compilator File=C:\Programme\AutoHotkey\AutoHotkey.exe
Compilator Param=/ErrorStdOut |%File%| > |%Temp%\PSPad_run.log|
HLTabWidth=0
IndentChar=
UnIndentChar=
Compilator File=
Compilator Param=
Compilator LOG=%Temp%\PSPad_run.log
Compilator Run=
Compilator Help=
Compilator SaveAll=1
Compilator ParsLog=%F (%L): ==>
Compilator Capture=1
Compilator HideOutput=1
Compilator DefaultDir=%Dir%
Prog0=Compile with log,|C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe| /c ||C:\Programme\AutoHotkey\Compiler\Ahk2Exe.exe| /in |%File%| /out |%Dir%%Name%.exe| /pass 123#321 > |%Temp%\PSPad_compile.log||§%Temp%\PSPad_compile.log

Is you script checking for command line parameters?
Ciao
toralf