Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

ASCII Character Hotkeys

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
Lufia
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • Last active: Aug 24 2007 01:49 PM
Is it possible to map ASCII characters to hotkeys? For example:

À::
Send, Test
Return

I tried it out and it seemed to ignore the À:: part and went ahead and sent the text. The reason I wanted to do this is so that I can use my external keypad that can be mapped to other keys for extra hotkeys. I could use some less common keystrokes such as Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Numpad7 as I have been doing, but I'm running out of those keys too. :D

I checked around the help file, faqs, and forums before posting and wasn't able to find anything. Any help would be appreciated. If it's not a supported feature I will post in Wish List. :)
-Lufia

evl
  • Members
  • 1237 posts
  • Last active: Oct 20 2010 11:41 AM
"À" is just a hotkey combination: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+a

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM

"À" is just a hotkey combination: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+a

Not on my French keyboard! Which is strange, since such characters are used in my language... I have to type Alt+0192 to get them!
I have some other letters like à directly available, thought, and they work as hotkey (using 1.0.44.00).

@Lufia: there was an issue with such accented letters in a previous release of AutoHotkey. Do you have the latest one?
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

Lufia
  • Members
  • 16 posts
I'm on version 1.0.43.08. Was it fixed since then?

@evl: I use an English keyboard and also have to type the Alt+0192

@PhiLho: I just checked the changelog and see some newer versions. I will update and try again. (I should have checked that first!)

Thanks. :)
-Lufia

Lufia
  • Members
  • 16 posts
I just tested it again on the latest version (1.0.44.01) and it still seems to skip over the line and send the text immediately; however, the script now stays open instead of closing itself. Any ideas?
-Lufia

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts

I'm on version 1.0.43.08. Was it fixed since then?

@evl: I use an English keyboard and also have to type the Alt+0192

@PhiLho: I just checked the changelog and see some newer versions. I will update and try again. (I should have checked that first!)

Upgrading is always a good idea...
I thought you could get this character in a more direct way!
Indeed, if I try to create a À:: hotkey, it is ignored (treated as a label).
AFAIK, AutoHotkey cannot, and probably will not, process characters generated with the Alt + Numpad digits. They are not physical keys, not even event generated by the keyboard driver.
Now, using a hotkey with five key hit is a bit too much, isn't it?

Note: I recently gave a solution to have multi-key hotkeys...
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

Lufia
  • Members
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the info! I thought it was possible to make keys into modifier keys using something such as "F5 & F6::". Does your solution let you press one key then the next in sequence for it to work? That's pretty neat. :D
-Lufia

evl
  • Members
  • 1237 posts
  • Last active: Oct 20 2010 11:41 AM
The Á thing is probably keyboard layout (in windows) and input language depenant. I was using UK English and typed it in notepad.

Pacheco
  • Members
  • 168 posts
  • Last active: Apr 11 2013 08:21 AM
I don't know if is the same case, but in portuguese keyboards there is a key 'ç', which can be used as a hotkey:

~ç::SoundBeep

in fact everytime i press 'ç' i hear a beep...

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
Both are possible: F5 & F6:: requires you hold down F5 then hit F6 to trigger the hotley. My solution requires sequential hits. Note you can expand easily my solution to F5 F6, F5 F7, etc. combinations. This method of two hotkeys (prefix, suffix) has been introduced in old text editors / wordprocessors (Emacs, WordPerfect, I think).

Laszlo
  • Moderators
  • 4713 posts
  • Last active: Mar 31 2012 03:17 AM
- Run a simple AHK script, like "MsgBox"
- Double-click on the H-tray icon (w/o closing the MsgBox)
- ALT-v Alt-k to open the Key History
- Press the À key, then F5 to refresh the view
- On the bottom of the screen you will see the scan code of the key (xxx)
- Use "SCxxx::" as the hotkey label (with + for Shift if needed)