Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Clipjump : The Ultimate Clipboard Manager [Updated 09/11/15]

• Please log in to reply
883 replies to this topic
JnLLnd
  • Members
  • 193 posts
  • Last active: Jul 23 2015 02:15 AM

On another topic, I found that the Paste with NO FORMATTING was unreliable. I increased the delay value on line 515 to 100 instead of 1 and it seems to be more stable.

sleeptime := 100 

And thanks for all the improvements to 9.7! Like the ^+A shortcut and the "Disable Clipjump" option.

chaz
  • Members
  • 192 posts
  • Last active: Oct 01 2015 02:42 AM

I used a customized copy of Clipjump with my changes using A_CaretX and A_CaretY (as described earlier). It works well in a text editor, MS Word and MS Excel. But, when the caret is in a browser's text field, the variables A_CaretX and A_CaretY alway return the same position, regardless of the real caret position (tested with MSIE 10 and Chrome).

It seems like this option should be managed with more care than I would have excpected. For you thoughts...

This is a limitation of AutoHotkey itself and not of ClipJump. So far there is no known workaround.

Find me at the other forum as timeFlies.

A v i
  • Members
  • 1323 posts
  • Last active: Nov 14 2015 06:56 PM

I used a customized copy of Clipjump with my changes using A_CaretX and A_CaretY (as described earlier). It works well in a text editor, MS Word and MS Excel. But, when the caret is in a browser's text field, the variables A_CaretX and A_CaretY alway return the same position, regardless of the real caret position (tested with MSIE 10 and Chrome).

It seems like this option should be managed with more care than I would have excpected. For you thoughts...

A_caret vars are very very risky for showing tooltips, more examples where they fail are Paint , Explorer , Sublime Text and many other programs. 
and so I haven't added this option in the v9.7 . 

This is a limitation of AutoHotkey itself and not of ClipJump. 

Sorry , but this infact is not a limitation of AutoHotkey too. See this topic . 

Now a CS Undergrad. | My WebsiteAutohotkey Scripts | Softwares

Telegram me : @aviaryan

A v i
  • Members
  • 1323 posts

On another topic, I found that the Paste with NO FORMATTING was unreliable. I increased the delay value on line 515 to 100 instead of 1 and it seems to be more stable.

sleeptime := 100 

And thanks for all the improvements to 9.7! Like the ^+A shortcut and the "Disable Clipjump" option.

If you go a bit down and look where this value is put into use, you will see it is nothing but the time to dissappear Tooltip and then change some variables

;Line 535
sleep % sleeptime
Tooltip

So, what actually was happening with the sleep 1 ?

JnLLnd
  • Members
  • 193 posts

So, what actually was happening with the sleep 1 ?

In Word (or Outlook), clipboard content pasted with the NO-FORMATTING option is pasted randomly with or without formatting. See this screen capture. All lines below were pasted with the same [NO-FORMATTING] option:

Sampleformattedtext.gif

I think the 0.1 sec delay gives some time to the clipboard to "digest" the clipboard conversion (Clipboard := Rtrim(Clipboard, "`r`n") before pasting. Not sure but I can confirm that with the 100ms delay, pasting is done 100% correctly.

chaz
  • Members
  • 192 posts

A_caret vars are very very risky for showing tooltips, more examples where they fail are Paint , Explorer , Sublime Text and many other programs. 
and so I haven't added this option in the v9.7 . 

Sorry , but this infact is not a limitation of AutoHotkey too. See this topic .

So, in other words, it's a limitation of AutoHotkey. I don't know what your understanding of "limitation" is, but I interpret it as "a limit; something that cannot be done", hence why I say it's a limitation of AutoHotkey.

On another note, you really do need to fix ClipJump's use of keyboard shortcuts. Sorry to be so blunt, but it is very poor, especially considering ClipJump is a programme used exclusively with the keyboard. The reason I made those suggestions to you earlier is that the current implementation was confusing and unintuitive to users. With the new "Action Mode" that was added, this has only become worse.

Right now there are three different types of keyboard shortcuts:

• System-wide, active anytime and anywhere
  • Local, active only when the ClipJump ToolTip is opened and the Ctrl key Is held down
  • More local, active only when "Action Mode" is open

This does not create a consistent experience for users, and also does not follow standard conventions and guidelines for keyboard shortcuts. Below is an excerpt from an article on the Microsoft Developer Network called Guidelines for Keyboard User Interface Design. I suggest you read the whole article, and then try to tell me that my idea to move all keyboard shortcuts to the Ctrl+V sub-range (local and active only when the ClipJump ToolTIp is open) doesn't make sense. The article largely describes and uses programmes that have full graphical user interfaces for examples, but the  content still applies fully to ClipJump.

When creating shortcut keys, CTRL+letter combinations and function keys (F1 though F12) are usually the best choices. For example, the keyboard alternatives for the Cut, Copy, and Paste commands are CTRL+X, CTRL+C, and CTRL+P, respectively.
Keyboard designs vary from country/region to country/region, so avoid using characters that are not available across different languages or in shortcut combinations reserved by the system. It is recommended that shortcut keys in international applications be customizable because mnemonic associations, such as CTRL+B for bold, may not be useful in some languages.
Use the following guidelines for designing shortcut keys:

• Assign simple and consistent key combinations.
  • Make shortcut keys customizable.
  • Use a shortcut with the CTRL key for actions that represent a large-scale effect, such as CTRL+S for save current document.
  • Use the SHIFT+key combination for actions that extend or complement the actions of the standard shortcut key. For example, the ALT+TAB shortcut key displays the primary window of a running application. Alternatively, the SHIFT+ALT+TAB key combination allows you to navigate backward through currently running applications that have been previously accessed.
  • Use the SPACEBAR key as the default action of a control, such as for pressing a button control or toggling the status of a check box control. This is similar to clicking the left or primary mouse button.
  • Use the ENTER key for the default action of a dialog box, if available.
  • Use the ESC key to stop or cancel an operation.
  • Avoid modified or case-sensitive letters for shortcuts.
  • Avoid using the following characters for shortcut keys: @ {} [] \ ~ | ^ ' < >
  • Avoid ALT+letter combinations because they may conflict with access keys. In addition, the system uses many specific key combinations for specialized input; for example, ALT+~ invokes an input editor for the Japanese language.
  • Avoid CTRL+ALT combinations because the system interprets this combination in some language versions as an ALTGR key, which generates alphanumeric characters.
  • Avoid assigning combinations that are reserved or defined by the system or are commonly used by other applications.
  • Do not use the Windows logo key as a modifier key for non-system-level functions.
For more information about shortcut keys, see Windows Shortcut Keys.

As per the last point above, I do not believe ClipJump needs to use any system-level shortcuts, except for obviously Ctrl+V, and hence should not use any Windows logo key shortcuts. (And even though ClipJump technically uses Ctrl+C and Ctrl+X as system-level keyboard shortcuts, their corresponding actions do not change from the normal one, hence why I don't really consider it as a keyboard shortcut by ClipJump.)

In my earlier suggestions, I suggested you make some very large changes. Now I understand that these changes may negatively affect current users of ClipJump, but on the whole, if these changes were made, I think ClipJump would be much easier to learn and use and would not interfere with other programmes as it does now. Of course, there should be some sort of message warning users of these changes, which should be visible upon the first two times ClipJump is started.

With the current system, new users need to learn a whole host of keyboard shortcuts. Even I don't know them all, so a new user will most certainly have difficulty with them. Following my suggestion, new users would only need to be told two statements in order to know how to use ClipJump:

• Without releasing Ctrl, press Ctrl+V to open the ClipJump ToolTip. The Paste mode will by default be open. Release Ctrl to paste the currently active clipboard item, or press V or C to move forwards and backwards through the list of clipboard items first.
  • While still holding Ctrl, press X to change modes. The current mode will be clearly visible. Continue pressing X until the mode changes to Help. Here you will see a list of all available keyboard shortcuts. To use these keyboard shortcuts, press the corresponding key and release Ctrl to perform the action.

To refresh your memory, below is what I suggested earlier:

Furthermore, I think ClipJump's keyboard shortcuts are starting to run a little amok. They interfere with other programmes (in particular the Alt+S one), and even though they can be customised, I don't think this should be necessary. With that being said, I think a very good solution would be to move ALL keyboard shortcuts into the Ctrl+V sub-range. That is, it should work like this:

- Press Ctrl+V and continue holding Ctrl to open the ClipJump tooltip
- While still holding Ctrl, press one of the following keys to perform an action:
    X - Switch modes: Paste -> Delete current -> Shortcuts help     (the last one is new—more later)
    C/V - Move forward/backwards through the clipboard items (as it works now). Release Ctrl to complete paste.
    Delete key - Delete all clipboard items (after prompt)
    S - One-time stop
    W - Copy to Windows system clipboard
    Up/Down - Move backwards and forwards through clipboard channels
    F - Copy selected file paths
    D - Copy active directory path
    T - Copy selected file text
    Q - PitSwap               (I'm not even sure what this does)
    H - Open the clipboard history
    Z - Toggle no-formatting mode
The new "Shortcuts help" mode will display a list of all the shortcuts (like above, but in order). Otherwise, learning the shortcuts and making them a habit is difficult--this will make it easy for everybody.

For the "delete all" mode, I don't think having it in the X-modes is necessary because I don't think it is used all that much and it's really easy to inadvertently apply it, hence why I suggest that it should be moved to the Delete key. Also, when Delete is pressed once, the tooltip should change to "Press Delete again to clear all clipboard items {Default channel}.`nRelease Ctrl to cancel.

A v i
  • Members
  • 1323 posts

In Word (or Outlook), clipboard content pasted with the NO-FORMATTING option is pasted randomly with or without formatting. See this screen capture. All lines below were pasted with the same [NO-FORMATTING] option:

I think the 0.1 sec delay gives some time to the clipboard to "digest" the clipboard conversion (Clipboard := Rtrim(Clipboard, "`r`n") before pasting. Not sure but I can confirm that with the 100ms delay, pasting is done 100% correctly.

I get it. The reason is infact not the delay but a bug in the code.. The following is responsible for the formatted text sometimes , 

;line 535
try Clipboard := oldclip_data 

It should be executed only if Pasting is not done . Currenlty with No-F, I change sleeptime from a needed 100 to 1 and so the line is executed. 

You can re-download the source as well as see the fixing commit for the changes.

A v i
  • Members
  • 1323 posts

v9.7.2

• Bug fix in No-Formatting option
  • Bug fix in the Update Dialog Box
  • Bug fix in PitSwap being case-sensitive
  • Added Translate option to the Help File

So, in other words, it's a limitation of AutoHotkey. I don't know what your understanding of "limitation" is, but I interpret it as "a limit; something that cannot be done", hence why I say it's a limitation of AutoHotkey.

Then it should not be called limitation of AutoHotkey but of C++ . No C++ code in the world can show a tip near the caret of Sublime Text OR Google Chrome (in JnLLnd's case) because they are not real carets . 

On another note, you really do need to fix ClipJump's use of keyboard shortcuts. Sorry to be so blunt, but it is very poor, especially considering ClipJump is a programme used exclusively with the keyboard. The reason I made those suggestions to you earlier is that the current implementation was confusing and unintuitive to users. With the new "Action Mode" that was added, this has only become worse.

Right now there are three different types of keyboard shortcuts:

• System-wide, active anytime and anywhere
  • Local, active only when the ClipJump ToolTip is opened and the Ctrl key Is held down
  • More local, active only when "Action Mode" is open

wanted to let you know that I will be replying later to this.. Looks a bit long task. 

JnLLnd
  • Members
  • 193 posts

I get it. The reason is infact not the delay but a bug in the code.. The following is responsible for the formatted text sometimes

You're right. Works 100% now.

chaz
  • Members
  • 192 posts

A v i: In the ClipJump tray icon menu, the ellipses ("...") are missing from the end of some of the menu items. If the menu item opens a new window that requires further user interaction, then following standard guidelines, an ellipsis should be appended to the end to indicate this. So, the "About ClipJump" menu item should be "About ClipJump...", "Clipboard history" should be "Clipboard history...", "Select Channel" should be "Select Channel...", "Settings" should be "Settings...", and "Help" should be "Help...".

"Check for updates" should not have an ellipsis because the action takes place immediately, even though it shows a dialogue box.

fump2000
  • Members
  • 591 posts
  • Last active: Nov 11 2015 07:52 AM

Hi A v i,

can i use your talk() with Clipjump?

When I try it, the CPU load goes up but the label will not start.

I have clipjump recompiled with few changes and other labels. I tie clipjump as a module and would like to start with talk() the history or some orther labels.

But it does not work.

bg

fump

Skrell
  • Members
  • 384 posts
  • Last active: Jul 07 2016 05:03 PM

"The clipboard cannot be emptied. Another program might be using the clipboard"

Don't know if this has been reported yet but i get this error a LOT in Excel 2010 (mostly when i attempt drag/move a value from one box to another). 

JnLLnd
  • Members
  • 193 posts

Excel is the only program where I have problems with ClipJump. When I copy a row, it tells something like "image too big". And the pasting one cell (or a series of cells) to many lines (or rows) with ClipJump does not work well. This is why I changed the Crtl-V shortcut to Ctrl-B. That way, I can use Ctrl-V the usual way in XL and I use Ctrl-B when I want to use the ClipJump pasting features.

This being said, for text editing or coding, I would not want to return to the standard clipboard!

A v i
  • Members
  • 1323 posts

Hi A v i,

can i use your talk() with Clipjump?

When I try it, the CPU load goes up but the label will not start.

I have clipjump recompiled with few changes and other labels. I tie clipjump as a module and would like to start with talk() the history or some orther labels.

But it does not work.

bg
fump

Do you inlcude talk() in your new Clipjump ? Also please atleast create a blank client in Clipjump to activate the WM_COPYDATA. . 

The following code at the last of the Auto-Exec in Clipjump.ahk will do-

blankclient := new talk("blank_client.ahk")     ;activate WM_COPYDATA for recieving talks

In the future , I will add a method in talk() to do that separately. 

Skrell
  • Members
  • 384 posts
  • Last active: Jul 07 2016 05:03 PM

Excel is the only program where I have problems with ClipJump. When I copy a row, it tells something like "image too big". And the pasting one cell (or a series of cells) to many lines (or rows) with ClipJump does not work well. This is why I changed the Crtl-V shortcut to Ctrl-B. That way, I can use Ctrl-V the usual way in XL and I use Ctrl-B when I want to use the ClipJump pasting features.

This being said, for text editing or coding, I would not want to return to the standard clipboard!

This is good advice but i am still hoping for a more elegant solution.  :-/   I think i'd even settle for having clipjump auto-disable itself whenever excel is the active window and then re-enable itself when it becomes inactive...