Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Unwanted Flicker with GuiControl.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
Puzzled Greatly
  • Members
  • 612 posts
  • Last active: May 22 2017 11:15 PM
I have a transparent png overlaid on a red background created using another png. When I hide the top png or replace it using Guicontrol I get a nasty flicker. Is there anyway to stop this happening. Thanks.

Puzzled Greatly
  • Members
  • 612 posts
I've also tried using a second GUi to cover the first while the change takes place. I still get the flicker, however. Rather than the image the whole screen - the gui fills the whole screen. Is this a problem with AHK itself? I don't see these kind of problems if I use Flash but I want to use AHK.

Sjc1000
  • Members
  • 572 posts
  • Last active: Mar 11 2017 11:41 AM

Hi Puzzled Greatly,

There are 2 ways i have learned to deal with this flicker.

Method 1:

Using a black GUI, so the flicker does not hurt as much :p

Dir 			:= "D:\Pictures"

Gui, Color, Black
Gui, Add, Picture, w500 h500 vPic
Gui, Show

Loop, %Dir%\*.*
{	GuiControl,, Pic, %A_LoopFileFullPath%
	Sleep, 3000
}

Method 2:

Disabling the redraw on the picture, while its changing.. This almost completely removes the flicker.

Dir 			:= "D:\Pictures"

Gui, Add, Picture, w500 h500 vPic
Gui, Show

Loop, %Dir%\*.*
{	GuiControl, -Redraw, Pic
	GuiControl,, Pic, %A_LoopFileFullPath%
	GuiControl, +Redraw, Pic
	Sleep, 3000
}

Hope this helps.

Sjc1000 - Insert inspirational quote here!

PLEASE find me on the IRC if you have questions. I'm never on the forum anymore.

Puzzled Greatly
  • Members
  • 612 posts
Thanks, I've tried using a black Gui and it does lessen the flicker. I tried GuiControl, -Redraw as you suggested but unfortunately it had no effect at all.

Sjc1000
  • Members
  • 572 posts

This is odd. Were you using the code example i gave you or another code? if you were using your own code can you share please?

PLEASE find me on the IRC if you have questions. I'm never on the forum anymore.

Puzzled Greatly
  • Members
  • 612 posts
I've just tried out the code you supplied and that has no flicker, but it is only using a single png, not one on top of another. If I have a single png then I don't see any flicker with or without using -Redraw. It's only when I use one png over another that I start to get flicker problems.

Sjc1000
  • Members
  • 572 posts

Ooh, sorry. I must have skipped over where you mentioned the overlay. Ill mess around with this tomorrow, and see what i can get. 

Puzzled Greatly
  • Members
  • 612 posts
Thanks for your help. The best I've come up with is using a Gui under the main one that duplicates the background of the main Gui. Then use Winset, transparent to temporarily hide the main Guii while changing the images.