Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Web browser interaction

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
erikcw
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Last active: Aug 06 2006 03:31 PM
Hi,

I've been using AHK for awhile, and I really love it! It's automated much of my computing!

I use another macro system called iMacros by iOpus.com. It is an internet macros tool, which lets you automate everything you do with a browser (fill in and submit multi-part forms (from a cvs file), download files, extract/scrape data from pages, etc, etc). iMacros seems to process web information on the html source level, so you can do all kinds of neat things! Very useful - but not open source, so it's impossible to expand on...

I've done a little browser automation with AHK, but I think some improvement is still needed in this area. iMacros has a free trial download on their site. It may be worthwhile for the AHK developers to download and play with a copy to see what this thing can do. Might give you guys some good ideas for enhancements to AHK! :-)

Thanks for the great app!

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
These kind of Web automating tools often operate at low level, depending on the browser, using IE's Browser Objects or Mozilla's XUL.
So it is not possible to include in AHK, and perhaps even not a good idea to do so -- it is quite a different world of automation, and it probably wouldn't suffer much to be in a separate application.

Note that you have possibilities, like putting JavaScript in the address bar, using a smart proxy like the now dead Proxomitron, its successor Proximodo or Privoxy (works whatever the browser), or extensions of your browser like GreaseMonkey for Firefox.

You can even use command line tools like cURL.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
I agree with most of the above because integrating AutoHotkey with browsers sounds like it would involve a lot of R&D. However, it might happen someday, especially if an expert comes along to help develop it.

In addition, perhaps it could be implemented via DllCall to avoid increasing the EXE size of every compiled script.

erikcw
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Last active: Aug 06 2006 03:31 PM
Well, one possible work around is to make it possible for AHK to access IMacros via it's scripting interface. This is currently possible with VB, Windowns Scripting Host, etc.... Here is an example of the code:

'Windows Scripting Host code.
set iim1= CreateObject ("InternetMacros.iim") 
i = iim1.iimInit  
i = iim1.iimSet("-var1", "Tom Tester") 
i = iim1.iimSet("-tray", "") 
i = iim1.iimDisplay("This is a test") 
i = iim1.iimPlay("myfirstmacro") 
If i > 0 Then 
s = "Everything OK) 
Else 
s = iim1.iimGetLastError() 
End If 
MsgBox s 

i = iim1.iimExit 

Isn't this the equivalent to the dllCall? Looks like the biggest change would be support for objects or ActiveX controls?

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
I see several problems with the iMacros proposal (Providing the URL would have been nice, not everybody know this):
1) It is for Internet Explorer only;
2) It is payware. I don't see AutoHotkey depending on some 3rd party software, even less a payware one.
3) AutoHotkey doesn't support Com, and unless somebody (not Chris!) works hard to integrate Com in AHK, it is unlikely to happen.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

PFP
  • Guests
  • Last active:
We are using the iMacros Scripting Edition at work (insurance company) to automate many browser related tasks for our web developers, bankers and even our call center(!) staff. It saved us so much time that it was well worth the money. In addition, their support is good and they provide timely updates and bug fixes.

Having said this, for my own private home use I did not want pay US$ 499 (that is what a Scripting Edition license costs).

But iMacros also comes in two free versions, one for IE and one for Firefox. You can download and compare all versions here: http://www.iopus.com... ... itions.htm

For my own use, the free versions are more than sufficient. Plus, you can combine the free iMacros versions with AHK easily. Here is how I did it:

1. Record the imacro in your web browser

2. Use AHK to start Firefox (or the IE browser), select the imacro you want to run in the iMacros sidebar and press the "play" button.

3. Voila, AHK just started a imacro! :D

If required, you can use AHK to further process files (downloaded files, web pages, screenshots, extracted data) once they are saved by iMacros.

Peter

AutoGuest
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Isn't the free versions only free for non-commirical use?

Andreas
  • Guests
  • Last active:
At https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3863 they clearly state that "iMacros for Firefox is 100% free for private and commercial use.".

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts

But iMacros also comes in two free versions, one for IE and one for Firefox.

It wasn't true one year ago, date of my previous message...
It is nice to see they changed their policy, it looks like an useful tool now, that can answer many requests I see in this forum.

AutoGuest
  • Guests
  • Last active:

At https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3863 they clearly state that "iMacros for Firefox is 100% free for private and commercial use.".

Oh sorry. I didn't notice.