Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Uninstaller for Windows Genuine Advantage Notification

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
mbirth
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • Last active: Jul 31 2008 11:12 AM
I guess you read the recent news about the mentioned tool from Microsoft? It phones home EVERY DAY and there is no easy way to uninstall it ... until now.

Download binary + source

I tried to post the source here, but the forum got an error... :-(

The script performs the first method mentioned here, but I added some things it should clean up.

Cheers,
-mARKUS

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:
I just added a firewall block to the program (for me it's c:\window\system32\wgatray.exe). I didn't want to uninstall the program, just in case it does other stuff.

I'm wondering if you uninstall it that MS won't just download another copy of the program when you download/install the next critical update...

But and however, thanks for the additional links. If I decide to uninstall the program in the future, I'll know where to look.

Them be my thoughts...

mbirth
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • Last active: Jul 31 2008 11:12 AM

I'm wondering if you uninstall it that MS won't just download another copy of the program when you download/install the next critical update...

For now it's optional - you can deselect it in WindowsUpdate or in that "New updates available"-dialog. You can even hide it from displaying using the specific options ("Hide this update" or "Don't notify again").

Cheers,
-mARKUS