Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Trillian corner-collapse script

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
Dewi Morgan
  • Members
  • 191 posts
  • Last active: Jun 07 2015 04:02 AM
Posted this to the trillian forums:

One of the coolest windows-automation programs I've found in a long time is AutoHotKey.

Here's a cool little AHK script that overcomes a real irritation I've found with trillian: it collapses to the edge of the screen, not to the corner. That's one heck of a lot of screen real-estate it's gobbling up!

You will need autohotkey for this: Autohotkey.com.

The script makes it collapse to the top-left corner (because that will have the same coordinates on everyone's screen, no matter what the resolution, so it should work for you).

To make this work, you will need to set trillian to toggle the contact list on ctrl-shift-alt-F11.

To do this, rightclick the Trillian tooltray(*) icon -> preferences -> advanced preferences -> automation -> add -> event type = "hotkey" -> "next key typed" -> (hit F11) -> check the checkboxes for ctrl, alt and shift -> action type = "Program action" -> program action = "Contact list: toggle visible".

(* "'Tooltray' is the wrong term, and it should be notification area!" I hear you cry. Tough. Microsoft lost the battle gainst commnon usage a long time ago. Nobody has any idea what the "notification area" is)

Then in the contact list window, click View -> Docking -> Turn Off (if the option says "Turn On", leave it alone).

(If the contact list is invisible after you click that option, rightclick the tooltray icon and click "show contact list". If it's still invisible, this is a Trillian bug - hit alt-space to bring up the window menu, click "move", and move it with your cursor keys unti it is on the screen.)

Drag the contact list to the top left corner of the screen, and hide it.

OK, now you're ready to install the script.

Create the following as a .ahk file called something like "TrillianHiding.ahk" and doubleclick on it:

Loop
{
  coordmode mouse, screen
  MouseGetPos xpos, ypos
  if ( xpos < 2 && ypos < 2  )
  {
    SendInput !+^{F11}
    MouseMove 5, 5, 0, R
    WinWaitNotActive Trillian
    SendInput !+^{F11}
  }
  sleep 1000
}

Hope this helps someone - for me, it has saved a great deal of swearing when I move my mouse to the left of the screen!

[edit: fixed typo xpoz -> xpos.
Yet another hotkeyer.

Laughing Man
  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • Last active: Oct 25 2007 04:43 AM
I'm not sure what this exactly does..It toggles to show your contact list if your mouse are at those coordinates?
"I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes" ~ Laughing Man - GITS:SAC

Dumbo
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Compile your script with ahk2exe and the Trillian user will be able to use your script without AHK, if the want to...

Dewi Morgan
  • Members
  • 191 posts
  • Last active: Jun 07 2015 04:02 AM
At the moment Trillian has a "docking" thing where it can "hide" off the edge of your screen, and will appear when you move your mouse against the side, and hide when you move away again - like the windows start menu can be "hidden".

I find it incredibly annoying to have an entire edge of my screen taken up with a single application. The edge, to me, is a thing that you whack the pointer against in order to more rapidly acquire targets near the edge, such as folders in Explorer's tree view.

So this script shows the contact list when you move the mouse to the corner. It also hides the contact list when something else gets focus.

I could write it to act more like the "real" version, and have another polling loop to hide the list when the mouse goes off the window... but hiding on loss of focus is, to me, nicer.
Yet another hotkeyer.

Laughing Man
  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • Last active: Oct 25 2007 04:43 AM
Ah I see now. Well kudos. :)

I was a bit confused cause my Trillian doesn't do what you were talking about in your first post. (Though I have it set so it toggles from visible/hide) with a press on my logitech keyboard.

Guess it has to do with the autohide and the docking. But yeah I can see how that'd be annoying.
"I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes" ~ Laughing Man - GITS:SAC