Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Methods for resizing a window to be larger than the desktop?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic
Paradroid
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Jul 22 2014 11:19 AM
I've created a script that uses WinSet, Region to precisely crop part of a maximized window. Once I've isolated the desired part of the window, I want to then resize this area so that it fills the screen. The app in question scales the graphics in my chosen area according to the window size so this should be feasible. However, I run into troubles because the window is already maximized and won't resize greater than the desktop dimensions! Grr.

Not all is futile, though, as I found a workaround on my desktop machine: since the desktop is across two monitors I can resize my cropped window to effectively “stretch” (in the horizontal aspect) to completely fill one of the screens (since the combined width is 3200 px and I only need to resize my cropped area to 1600 px in order to fill one screen). This suits my needs but I'd really like to create a similar effect on my laptop.

I've searched the forums several times and found users with the same problem (i.e. resizing a window to be larger than the desktop) but no solutions were offered…

Any new ideas?

tic
  • Members
  • 1934 posts
  • Last active: May 30 2018 08:13 PM
Use StretchBlt to stretch the chosen part into a child window

Jaime
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Last active: Nov 27 2007 06:35 PM
I have been browsing the forums, looking for help to build that exact script, as I need to magnify a certain area of a specific application. However, my coding skills are quite lacking, so my efforts have been unsuccessful. Please, that script would really help me, could you share it with me?

Thanks

tic
  • Members
  • 1934 posts
Could you be more clear as to what you want Jaime please. SO you want to duplicate a selected area and make it bigger? Tell me exactly want you want to do and i may be able to help

engunneer
  • Moderators
  • 9162 posts
  • Last active: Sep 12 2014 10:36 PM
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...pic.php?t=11700<!-- m -->

Jaime
  • Members
  • 7 posts
Thank you for your help, tic & engunneer. I have a program that is designed for a resolution of 800x600. What I need is a way to magnify the portion of the screen the program uses, so I can see it at "full-screen" without changing the resolution. The ScreenMagnifier is impressive :shock: and I will definitely be using it for a lot of things, but not in this particular case, as it follows the mouse. It would be perfect if I could just make it a fixed window, magnifying the specified area of a specific window, with the click-through functionality the ScreenMagnifier seems to provide... Seems I have a lot of reading to do!

tic
  • Members
  • 1934 posts
But how could you make it full screen? It would cover up the thing youre magnifying

Jaime
  • Members
  • 7 posts

But how could you make it full screen? It would cover up the thing youre magnifying

That's the point. See, the main window of the program is designed for 800x600, so it covers just the upper/left corner of the screen. If I could magnify it to a 1260x1000 window, for instance, while retaining click-through capability, my life would be much better :D Just think of it like holding a real magnifying glass over the screen. There are some programs already capable of this feat, namely igzoom and DesktopZoom, but they lack the image quality and tweaking capability of Holomind's ScreenMagnifier.

tic
  • Members
  • 1934 posts
basically all you want is a magnifier then?

whats the problem with holominds or this one?

<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...pic.php?t=24973<!-- m -->

Jaime
  • Members
  • 7 posts

That last one would be perfect, if I knew how to modify it to make static and not follow the mouse. That is, a permanent lens over my application. Any help?

tic
  • Members
  • 1934 posts
yes. just change the highlighted parts to the x and y coordinates

WinMove, ahk_id %hWnd%,, [color=red]Xmouse-Width[/color], [color=red]Ymouse-Height[/color], 2*Width, 2*Height

newpie
  • Members
  • 231 posts
  • Last active: Oct 17 2011 01:44 AM

That last one would be perfect, if I knew how to modify it to make static and not follow the mouse. That is, a permanent lens over my application. Any help?

Hello, I tried clicking the above link, but it goes no-where. It sounds like I need a script like this. Can anyone post that script code for me. I will make it static because all I want to to do is zoom a particular area and have it stay there. Kind of like an on and off magnifier.Thanks

newpie
  • Members
  • 231 posts
Maybe the link got cut because it was too old. Does anyone have any idea on how to make magnifier on particular set of screen, keep it there, then use your mouse lilke you would normally? Thanks for any help.

newpie
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Maybe the link got cut because it was too old. Does anyone have any idea on how to make magnifier on particular set of screen, keep it there, then use your mouse lilke you would normally? Thanks for any help.

Any help with this, it seems no-one know where to find this link. Thanks