Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

FN key on a notebook ...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic
Beastmaster
  • Members
  • 191 posts
  • Last active: Apr 23 2007 02:58 PM
I can confirm both statements from thinkstorm as it is the same on my T40. :roll:
As well as Chris' with the A+F2/LButton combo 8)

Interesting, as I tried to log in the forum to write this down, I wasn't able to enter the A character as part of the username while the hotkey was active :shock:

thinkstorm
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hi,

that works for me, too. It just seems that FN+a doesn't generate anything hookable, I can't even see the FN key up/Down in the key history window when pressed together with another key, only by itself...

well, doesn't really matter, #F2 works fine, too :)

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

I wasn't able to enter the A character as part of the username while the hotkey was active

That's expected since the scan code in question is the letter A. It was just for testing (but you could add the ~ modifier to make it a "pass-through" key and thus resolve that issue).

Thanks everyone for testing it.

wilde
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2004 11:01 AM
could you let me know how this code is used? I need to somehow do a Fn F5 ALT T to disable the wireless at build time.

Thanks

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Whether it's possible depends on your particular notebook hardware. Read through the rest of the posts on page 1 of this topic, specifically the parts about detecting special keys, the method for which is at the bottom of this page:
http://www.autohotke...htm#SpecialKeys

Once you find the virtual key and scan code of the Fn key, you might be able to simulate it via Send {vkXXscYYY}.

Dustin
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hey, this is great information! I'm glad I stumbled in to this place. I'm trying to map one of my keys (whether the browser back or FN key) to my "Windows" hot key. The code in this top seems to work to get the start menu to pop up, but I would really like to get the other functions working such as Win+D (Show Desktop), Win+M (Minimize All), Win+L (Lock Screen), Win+E (Explorer). I tried the following to map the Browser back key but it doesn't sem to work:
SC16A:: ; The asterisk makes the remapping more complete on XP/2k/NT.
Send, {LWIN down}
Loop
{
   Sleep, 10
   GetKeyState, state, SC16A, P
   if state = U  ; The key has been released, so break out of the loop.
      break
}
Send, {LWIN up}
return
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dustin

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Getting the keystate of a scan code isn't supported yet (I'll looking into it for a future version). Try this instead:

*Browser_Back: ; The asterisk makes the mapping more complete.
Send, {LWin down}
KeyWait, Browser_Back; Wait for key to be released.
Send, {LWin up}
return

If that doesn't work, perhaps your PC has some software or driver on it that hides the multimedia/Internet keystrokes from the rest of the system. In other words, Browser_Back might be handled at too low a level.

By the way, the KeyWait command was added a couple of weeks ago, so if your AutoHotkey was downloaded earlier than that, you might want to update it.

ealerner
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Last active: Oct 16 2004 01:49 PM
IBM offers a free utility called "Keyboard Customizer" for their laptops on their website. Only problem is you can't remap the FN function key.

It only remaps the Windows Key and Application Key (Right-Click) to other keys like Alt, Ctrl, etc. (but not FN).

Good thing about it is that it is very stable and has not interfered with AutoHotkey operation at all.

dotoshi
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hello,

The following seems to work for me (e.g., Win+E, etc...), code modified from other posts in the forum, so credit where credit is due. I'm using an IBM T41.

--djo

*SC16A::
Send, {LWIN down}
Loop
{
   Sleep, 10
   GetKeyState, state, vkA6sc16A, P
      break
}
Send, {LWIN up}
return

*SC169::
Send, {AppsKey down}
Loop
{
   Sleep, 10
   GetKeyState, state, vkA7sc169, P
      break
}
Send, {AppsKey up}
return

corey
  • Guests
  • Last active:
hi im just wondering how i to enter these keys Fn+F2 because i dont have an Fn key on my keyboard. is there any other way of doing this??
could u plz contact me on my account [email protected]

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:

because i dont have an Fn key on my keyboard

You might have no notebook-PC, right? If no, which one??

bakkulf
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Last active: Aug 06 2007 02:16 PM

IBM offers a free utility called "Keyboard Customizer" for their laptops on their website. Only problem is you can't remap the FN function key.
[...]
Good thing about it is that it is very stable and has not interfered with AutoHotkey operation at all.

Actually not true for me - I used a Norwegian keyboard layout, and sacrificed AltGr to be used as Windows-key, and right Ctrl as Application key to get around without using the mouse *all* the time. However, when doing hotstrings including curly brackets ("{" and "}"), they came out as 7 and 0. This makes sense, since on a Norwegian keyboard, AltGr+7 = {, Alt+Ctrl+7 = {, AltGr+0 = } and Alt+Ctrl+0 = }.

Anyways, I disabled the IBM Keyboard Customizer, and my hotstrings worked OK. Then I added the keyremapping in my autohotkey.ini as described by dotoshi in:
http://www.autohotke...98-15.html#9853

Thanks for a great app!

bakkulf
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Last active: Aug 06 2007 02:16 PM

[...]I added the keyremapping in my autohotkey.ini as described by dotoshi in:
http://www.autohotke...98-15.html#9853

I found a serious problem with mapping a key to be WinKey :shock:
Currently I'm using a script that sends WinKey down, loops to check when the key is to be released (Loop, sleep, GetKeyState, if state=u -> ), and then sends WinKey up; see description in this post).

Actually, if I use the default win-shortcut (WinKey+L) to lock my computer, I'm not able to log in again. Since the computer locks with WinKey down, the script then never gets the key released, and I cannot enter the letter "l" (small L) in the password field. However, I can press u (that actually gets WinKey+u) to bring up the utility manager, where I can start the On Screen Keyboard and fiddle around a bit with the WinKey on the keyboard. Then, apparently the key finds it's up-state, and I can again log in with my password accidentally containing a lower-case L.

A quick-and-dirty fix is of course to change to a password without l and u, but I would prefer a more stable solution ;)

Any ideas? (eg. by implementing a timer in the script that would let go of the down-state e.g. after 5 seconds?)

tochus
  • Guests
  • Last active:
My keyboard is broken and I'm using an usb keyboard which doesn't have a fn key, so I would like to remap the fn key into any other one.

Any one can help me?

Thanks

BoBo¨
  • Guests
  • Last active:
A tough challenge. We don't have your keyboard. We don't know which Nobo you use to know if we have the same keyboard. As your keyboard is broken how can you detect its scan-/vkcode? Input!