Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

FN key on a notebook ...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic
tochus
  • Guests
  • Last active:

A tough challenge. We don't have your keyboard. We don't know which Nobo you use to know if we have the same keyboard. As your keyboard is broken how can you detect its scan-/vkcode? Input!

Sorry, you're right!

Mu laptop is a PackarBell EasyNote E4718 and I'm using Windows XP home edition. So the main problem is that I cannot detect its scan-/vkcode. I have tried with vkFFsc163 but it doesn't work with the scripts that I have read in this topic.

Any sugestion?

Thx

Conquer
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Last active: Jan 10 2013 02:14 AM
Have you searched the forum for its scan code? Sorry other posts were TL,DNR

debam
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Nov 08 2007 03:30 AM
This is about the most frustrating thing I've ever run into. I'm trying to buy a new computer, had one picked out, and it turns out the ctrl key and fn key are switched. This is a major problem with the software I use for my job. I have since discovered that every damn, brand new, top of the line computer has this very issue. I've researched clevo(compal, sager), asus, msi, xxodd, quanta, every manufacturer I could find. Several 17" nb had the normal config, but I'm looking for a 15.4" and just can't find one with a normal layout. I discovered
http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/
which solves this problem for MACs however, I can't locate an equivalent for the p.c. Can anybody help me? I'm at the end, and just want a normal keyboard. (Side note, I know about key mapping- and at the novice level it can't be done, this needs somebody serious. also know that asus g1 has normal config... but it's hundreds more than comparable comps) Thanks to anyone who can help!

• Guests
  • Last active:
I have HP 6715b notebook and there is a option to swap ctrl and fn key.

Swap the functions of the fn key and left ctrl key.
http://static.tigerd... ... eGuide.pdf

Bo

This is about the most frustrating thing I've ever run into. I'm trying to buy a new computer, had one picked out, and it turns out the ctrl key and fn key are switched. This is a major problem with the software I use for my job. I have since discovered that every damn, brand new, top of the line computer has this very issue. I've researched clevo(compal, sager), asus, msi, xxodd, quanta, every manufacturer I could find. Several 17" nb had the normal config, but I'm looking for a 15.4" and just can't find one with a normal layout. I discovered
which solves this problem for MACs however, I can't locate an equivalent for the p.c. Can anybody help me? I'm at the end, and just want a normal keyboard. (Side note, I know about key mapping- and at the novice level it can't be done, this needs somebody serious. also know that asus g1 has normal config... but it's hundreds more than comparable comps) Thanks to anyone who can help!

engunneer
  • Moderators
  • 9162 posts
  • Last active: Sep 12 2014 10:36 PM
keyboard layout is one of my prime factors in a laptop purchase. Granted I haven't bought since Jan, but I have liked the keyboard layout from HP, Sony, and Dell.

HP dv9010us (17" bought in Jan 07)
HP 65xx 15.4" from 3 yrs ago
Sony Vaio v505 12" from 3 yrs ago
Dell Latitude series (various timeframes and sizes)
all were ok for me.

Note I am also picky about the enter key, the Ins/Del/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn block, the \ key, ~ and a few others.

my IBM Thinkpad T41 is backwards :(

ah_hin
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Mar 19 2008 07:44 AM

I am also trying to buy a asus notebook, and find that many notebooks that match my needs have the keyboard layout messed up, i.e. fn on the fart left, and not the ctrl key.
If anyone has a way to switch these keys, that'll be great!

grkn
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Dotoshi: can you use your code to make Fn work as control? And if, how?'

Cheers, Johan

Mivke
  • Guests
  • Last active:
As I understand it, you can get your Fn key to work as something else eg left-ctrl. But its hard (or impossible) to get you ctrl to work as the Fn key if the Fn key is handled at a bios level.
My question is, if I remap my Fn to work as ctrl, will it start working as Fn if I reverse the action or uninstall autohotkey?

Thanks in advance,
Mivke

hatchetman82
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • Last active: Aug 30 2015 04:27 AM
Hi.

im sorry if this thread is long dead or solved and i missed something, but i've tried pretty much everything suggested along the way and still can get the Fn key to function as the win key.

the following script (presented a few posts above) works to map the backwards key as the win key:
*SC16A::
Send, {LWIN down}
Loop
{
   Sleep, 10
   GetKeyState, state, vkA6sc16A, P
   if state = U  ; The key has been released, so break out of the loop.
      break
}
Send, {LWIN up}
return

however, when i try and modify the code to work with the Fn key, like this:
*SC163::
Send, {LWIN down}
Loop
{
   Sleep, 10
   GetKeyState, state, vkFFsc163, P
   if state = U  ; The key has been released, so break out of the loop.
      break
}
Send, {LWIN up}
return

(163 instead of 16A, vk from A6 to FF, both according to this thread and my ky history screen)
i cant get it to work.

the start menu pops up, but only on key up. its as if im missing the key down event entirely (so key combos like win + d dont work).

i've also tried simpler things like
SC163::send,{Lwin down}
SC163 up::send,{Lwin up}
to no avail (i ge the start menu to pop up at key up, but no reaction to key down, hence no combos)

any one succeed in mapping the Fn key using AHK ?
im using an IBM thinkpad T40' if it matters.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

guest991
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I need some help if anyone's willing, I simply need the fn key to mirror to both fn and windows keys, so that the FN key will function as the FN key, when I press the windows key on my external keyboard!

silencer
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Nov 24 2009 09:38 AM
I'm having the same problem on a lenovo T400 which should be the same as a T40.

All screens point to the SC163, but nothing is working.

Have you found a solution for the Fn problem :?:

Regards,

M3CSL
  • Members
  • 36 posts
  • Last active: May 13 2009 11:05 AM
This could solve your problem: http://www.thinkpads... ... dels-only/

silencer
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Nov 24 2009 09:38 AM
It could be an option, but since this is a company laptop the bios is password protected and i don't have the password.. :cry:

Eric S
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Might help someone

; Fn + Down on IBM T60p laptop
SC122

; Fn + Up on IBM T60 laptop
SC124

kalos
  • Guests
  • Last active:
how can it be at bios level. I have logitech g15 (keyboard) and Asus K52JR and my fn keys are different on Notebook layout and g15 layout. So on notebook i dont have calculation but on logitech i have. So how can it know from bios? They can't so we can updare it by software but i don't know how