Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

GAME: YAM dice game

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
d-man
  • Members
  • 290 posts
  • Last active: Jun 28 2015 09:26 AM
Yam dice game [ahk file]: Download

YAM: Yet Another Mindlessly-addicting-dice-game.

Sort of a Yahtzee clone with a twist, a little more strategy.

Reproduced from YAM [freeware] for the Palm Pilot.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
I did any a very fast run (will try more later), got a full house of 4's with the first three rolls... :-)
Very nice and clean interface, smart use of text to make the dots of the die.
I would have put all the help text in a continuation section, easier to maintain, no `n to type (or read...).
Small typo in this help: wiht (also "up to 4 dice", "that die")
Slightly confusing wording: "You may then select up to 4 dice to reroll by clicking on them" (we have to click on the die to keep, as the useful label shows). The "from the top down" seems strange, I would have written "from the top" or "in the top down order" -- but I am not native speaker, so I can be wrong.
Oh, perhaps I would split the help in smaller sections, to stitch together in the help message, but to use parts in tooltips when hovering a label (ie. what is Max points?).
Thanks for sharing.

[EDIT]
Convertnum(num)
{
	If (StrLen(num) = 1)
		Return "0" . num
	Return num
}
:-)
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

d-man
  • Members
  • 290 posts
heheh, thanks, Philho, yeah I got in a hurry to finish it at the end. Not entirely optimized, either. Good feedback on the help, I will change that! Thank you for your input!

My brother really likes this game, he plays it all the time. See if you can beat his high score of 1425! :)

slomz
  • Members
  • 601 posts
  • Last active: Mar 30 2008 12:54 AM
I had some fun and added a tray icon also.

I think you should make it harder. Yes it is very fun but very easy. Try making more random combinations.

d-man
  • Members
  • 290 posts

I had some fun and added a tray icon also.

I think you should make it harder. Yes it is very fun but very easy. Try making more random combinations.

Feel free to enhance it any way you want, and put a version up here so I can try it out too. :)

slomz
  • Members
  • 601 posts
  • Last active: Mar 30 2008 12:54 AM
I am still very new to this so I will try my best and see what I can do.
What part do I edit if i want to edit the number combonations?

d-man
  • Members
  • 290 posts
tiny update — added philho's suggestions & fixed small bug that wouldn't take a Yam as a 4 of a kind.

silveredge78
  • Members
  • 499 posts
  • Last active: Mar 14 2014 03:19 AM
Very minor thing that is more being anal retentive...

I tend to keep all my scripts in the same folder for easy reference. It is hard to keep track of files and their associated *.ini if the name is not the same or at least similar (or at least starts with the same thing).

Thus, I would suggest editing the game to replace all references of hiscore.ini to be either YamHiscore.ini or just Yam.ini.

Thats just me. :)
SilverEdge78

silveredge78
  • Members
  • 499 posts
I have since decided that I wanted the game to remember the former position because I usually play this while waiting for other things. As such, I move it to the side to play. But when I would hit File..New, it would reload back in the middle. Thus, I have revised it as noted below.

I also adjusted the script to create a ini file based on actual script name rather than hardcode in Yam.ini, etc. I also adjusted the structure of the ini file for readability, and to store the previous gui position.

Yam.ahk

Version 1.1, 11/18/06
- Added ScriptIni variable in case of a script name change
- Redid the Ini structure
- Added saving of last position upon exit or new game
- Added loading using saved last position coordinates
- Fixed it so when a new game is started it does not show the high score window.
SilverEdge78

silveredge78
  • Members
  • 499 posts
Couple minor improvements in addition to the previously noted ones. My updated version can be downloaded at the link in the above post.

Version 1.1.2, 01/29/07
- Changed it so that any reload writes the current position and
reloads the game at that position

Version 1.1.1, 01/23/07
- Changed Game Over dialog box to allow for starting a new game
SilverEdge78