Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

World of Warcraft: AHK = cheating?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic
Ace_NoOne
  • Members
  • 299 posts
  • Last active: May 02 2008 08:19 AM
Hey guys,

Quick WoW question:
A friend asked me to write a quick AHK script for WoW* (no cheating, just comfort stuff - e.g. holding down the forward key).
But since Blizzard is quite strict with hacks and cheats, I first wanna make sure that such a script won't get my friend banned.
Does WoW's cheat protection regard AHK as an illegal intrusion? Judging by the availability of WoW scripts here, I'd say no, but you never know...

Thanks!

* I have so far successfully resisted the lure of this game.
Improving my world, one script at a time.
Join the AutoHotkey IRC channel: irc.freenode.net #autohotkey

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2019 07:41 AM
Its legeal. I use AHK scripts..
Posted Image

Blizzard - Official Bann
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Nice2Know.
Majkinetor, you're banned. :twisted:

Rgds,
Niddik Tsuj 8)

Ace_NoOne
  • Members
  • 299 posts

Its legeal. I use AHK scripts..

It might be "legeal", but that's not the issue here; so, is it legal? :p
j/k Thanks for the info, majkinetor.

Nice2Know.
Majkinetor, you're banned. :twisted:

Rgds,
Niddik Tsuj 8)

That's so funny it made me try to log in as "lol" (seriously)... :?
However, that misspelling totally ruined your credibility.

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
I didn't say it might be legal, but that it IS legal.

BTW, WoW includes its own scripting language (LUA). Using ahk u can mainly automate some interface things witch is far from "dangerous". Using LUA you can create self leveling charachters (bots) that you can see lurking around and killing animals on site, for days...
Posted Image

Ace_NoOne
  • Members
  • 299 posts

Sorry, never mind my comment there - it was a very silly, and very poor, joke regarding a typo of yours.

BTW, WoW includes its own scripting language (LUA). Using ahk u can mainly automate some interface things witch is far from "dangerous". Using LUA you can create self leveling charachters (bots) that you can see lurking around and killing animals on site, for days...

Thanks, good to know!
/me moves to China to start a business

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM

BTW, WoW includes its own scripting language (LUA).

Well, it's not really "its own," it's an independently developed application adapted to WoW. Several applications and environments use it for interfacing and scripting, and certainly more than any other general-purpose scripting language.

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
several = almost all games with scripting

btw, jonny, ace moved to china to start buisnis... :D
Posted Image

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:

btw, jonny, ace moved to china to start buisnis...

Correction: ... to sdalt buisnis! :)

EvilKerek
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Last active: Mar 28 2007 12:19 PM
Dude, you are not Blizzard and you don't get to say what's legal in WOW - nice try. Why would you think you could?

First off, getting away with it does not make it legal. Blizz likes to wait til a lot of people are abusing something before they do a global ban/suspension.

Second - your logic is hugely flawed. Wow having a scripting language has ZERO to do with what you get to do OUTSIDE of the game. They are quite clear that third-party programs that interact with WOW are against TOS. AutoHotkey is capable of doing EXACTLY what they expressly forbid - send multiple keys to WOW via a single keypress.

They went through a LOT of changes in the xpac to prevent a lot of scripting options during combat - it's pretty much nerfed - so don't LIE to these people and tell them different. What you can do with scripting in combat now compared to pre-xpac is a joke.

So to sum up:

Is it legal in WOW? Nope. Not even close. Anyone telling you different has no idea what they are talking about.

Are you likely to get banned with AutoHotkey? Nope, not until a lot of people start using it. They don't tend to target small amounts of people.
So, the more popular AutoHotkey gets, the more likely it will cause a ban. Kinda funny, no?

That said, I'm not risking my two accounts (yes they will get ALL of your connected accounts - this is documented) of 70's as much as I would love to have this program.

Spicolli
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Dude... that was so, like, uncool the way you said that. I think you spoke the righteous truth, but dude, mellow...

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts
  • Last active: Nov 01 2014 03:23 PM

That said, I'm not risking my two accounts (yes they will get ALL of your connected accounts - this is documented) of 70's as much as I would love to have this program.

Just to clarify... AutoHotkey has many, many other uses that have absolutely nothing to do with WOW so there's nothing stopping you from downloading, installing and using it for something else. It would be extremely unlikely (and unjustified) for them to ban someone because of having AutoHotkey installed on their machine.

Cereal
  • Members
  • 45 posts
  • Last active: Apr 17 2009 01:36 AM
its illeagal theres a popular script out now that auto levels, it was writtin in autoit and they banned ahk as well, it will work for a while but if u run it to long ur ****ed, all the middle east people that have gold farms where the pay people .50$ a hour and there making millions but there closed now because of there protection upgrade to warden, it's a bad call to make, i hope u sell something good quick before your ****ed, if you have the money have fun u can probably make some money

EvilKerek
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Last active: Mar 28 2007 12:19 PM

Dude... that was so, like, uncool the way you said that. I think you spoke the righteous truth, but dude, mellow...

Sorry didn't mean to be harsh, but his statement of

kinda set me off. He's taking this guy down a road that COULD ban his account. That is very uncool as well.

To answer other statements - of course AutoHotkey has other uses. I am in NO WAY downing the program - I think it's awesome. And that it sucks that Blizz is liable to go after it - I just want to send keys to my other computer, not macro in any way. With 8 million users, they aren't gonna take the time to see what you were doing, just that you were using an illegal app. Then again, they may never go after people with it - but it's only a matter of time before the gold farmers start using it. All bets are off after that.

Anyway, I apologize for dropping a hammer on the post.

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
LOL EvilKerek, you are some smart dude aren't you ?

OK, its not legal. What is legal then ? Bliz rules are governed by occasions so they can always say something is illegal if they want to. I follow Blizz for 10 years now and I know what I am talking about.

Then, who said it is unmoral to do illegal stuff ? If Blizz can do unmoral things so everybody else can in my universe. Let me ask you something. The extension pack of WoW was out and suddenly in my game started to appear ppl from another dimension. I didn't buy TBC extension at the time, and some ppl that have much higher level then possible by MY game are allowed to pwn me and I was suddenly on the bottom of the list. In MY game manual there is nothing that say that you can go above level 60, but still i keep meeting and beeing pwned by higher levels that came from another dimension.

To make you this more clear, while Warcraft III was alive, we had Battle Net on WCIII servers. When extension "FRozen Throne" arived Blizz made NEW servers so you couldn't get pwned by the guy caring 20 dragons with it, which don't exist in non-extended version.

What happened now ? SImple as 1,2,3. They wanted more money, they went so low. They already have every fukin user in the gaming universe and they wanted to force them to buy TBC, cuz without TBC entire game loses meaning. I contacted Blizz cuz of this and they said "We can't talk about this, TBC is great, please go buy it and your problems will dissappear" . Really, no joke.

So, EveilKerek, the things are not black or white. They are in between. Trying to stay at radial points is act of childish thinking.

So, you are theoreticaly right, its illegal. But according to Bliz everything is illegal, even playing the World of Warcraft by your way. For instance, you can "Kitte" big bosses strait to the city if you are willing enough, but Blizz may ban you cuz of that. WHy ? You didn't break any rules, you didn't use any addons, you used game, and only game, and nothing more.

So, it looks like we are on the ground "I don't like that, its forbiden".
I don't like that grounds, its selfish, its breaking the spirt, and Blizzard is shown me that good companies can go down after 10 years of being the greatest. They act like last bitches now.... just visit the wow forums.

I hope they bancrot soon enough. I am sure they will even use that to open WOW clinicks in entire world as ppl got hooked very bad.

That said, I go to play WOW now, as I already payed it, and I don't wont them to have my money for nothing.
Posted Image