Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

Memory usage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic
Spartanicus
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I'm using AutoHotkey exclusively for providing better hotkeys under w2k on a resource strapped system. It seems to use between 1.5Mb and 4Mb of ram, which is a bit much just for hotkeys.

Is there perhaps an older, less feature rich version that uses less memory?

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
The short answer is that old versions do not use significantly less memory than new versions. I tested a v1.0.12 (old) with a tiny script: about 450 KB of memory is used, which is about the same as on the latest version.

Try this test script, which on my system uses 260 KB (according to Task Manager):
; Without these two lines, Task Manager may report that the script uses a lot more
; memory. This is probably not proof of anything, nor useful for anything, beyond
; indicating how misleading Task Manager can be:
DetectHiddenWindows on
WinMinimize, %A_ScriptFullPath% - AutoHotkey v

^!z::
MsgBox Single hotkey.
return
But if you comment out the first two lines, Task Manager says it then uses 2624 KB instead of 260 KB! Thus, I do not think such reporting should be deemed an accurate measure of how much memory load the script is actually putting on the system.

As the script uses various commands for the first time, it is normal for Task Manager to report an increase in memory utilization. However, I do not think this represents the true load on the system either. Try adding the following column to Task Manager: View > Select Columns > Virtual Memory Size. It might be a better representation of true memory load (perhaps someone here knows for sure).

If you still want to try an older version, check the changelog and let me know which version number you want a link for.