Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

filemenus a la PowerPro

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic
thomasl
  • Members
  • 92 posts
  • Last active: Sep 28 2006 09:55 AM
Here is my quick and dirty attempt to emulate the filemenu feature of PowerPro. I rely heavily on these menus so this was high priority and I am glad that AutoHotkey actually can do it.

Error checking is minimal; functionality also: it's bare bones but it does the job. I would like to get rid of the ActivateMenu stuff, as that's a clumsy way of activating the correct menu; however I am not sure how. I would need to be able to connect a hotkey, not with a label, but with an action, in this case a Menu, ..., Show command. That would be a nice addition.

Comments are welcome, especially about getting the thing smaller or more efficient: I am new to AutoHotkey's script language, so if you spot something dreadful tell me. If OTOH you like the script, tell your neighbour.

Suggestions are welcome as well; perhaps this can be coaxed into doing more than just sending keys. I might put in a bit of work if it seems worthwhile.

The script reads a file called Filemenu.txt, whose format is described further down. This file contains the menu definition(s); you can define as many menus as you want (or rather as you have hotkeys). Don't forget to separate menuname and hotkey with a real tab and also menu entries and keys to send: no tabs, no fun.

If you use the Filemenu.txt as it is shown further down, have a window active that accepts more than one line of input before you press #1 and pick a menu option.

--- cut here for Filemenu.ahk ---
;Filemenu.ahk
k=0
Loop, Read, Filemenu.txt
{
  szLine=%A_LoopReadLine%
  If (szLine="")
    Continue
  If (InStr(szLine,"menu:")=1) ; new menu definition?
  {
    StringTrimLeft, szName, szLine, 5 ; get rid of menu:
    szMenus_%k%=%szName% ; store menu name and activation key in array szMenus_?, used later in ActivateMenu
    StringSplit, szEntry, szName, %A_Tab%
    szName=%szEntry1% ; stores the base name of the array for menu entries
    Hotkey %szEntry2%, ActivateMenu ; all filemenus go to ActivateMenu
    j=1 ; stores the index into the array for menu entries
    k:=k+1
  }
  Else {
    szEntry2=
    StringSplit, szEntry, szLine, %A_Tab%
    If (szEntry2="")
      szEntry2=%szEntry1%
    If (szEntry1="-")
      Menu, %szName%, Add
    Else {
      Menu, %szName%, Add, %szEntry1%, FilemenuHandler
      ; stores the keys to send in an array composed of the menu base name and the index of the entry
      sz%szName%_%j%=%szEntry2%
    }
    j:=j+1
  }
}

Exit

; Handles a menu choice
FilemenuHandler:
  szSend=sz%A_ThisMenu%_%A_ThisMenuItemPos% ; get keys to send
  Send, % %szSend%
  Return

; Activates the filemenu linked to the incoming hotkey
ActivateMenu:
  i=0
  loop
  {
    If (i=k)
		  Break
    StringSplit, szEntry, szMenus_%i%, %A_Tab%
    If (szEntry2=A_ThisHotkey)
    {
      Menu, %szEntry1%, Show
      Break
    }
    i:=i+1
  }
  Return
--- cut here ---

A filemenu file looks like this (\t is a literal tab):

menu:menuname\thotkey to activate
menustring1\tkeys to send1
menustring2\tkeys to send2

There can be many "menu:" sections in a filemenu file. Empty lines are ignored; a single dash (-) marks a separator.
The following would be a trivial example for a valid filemenu.txt (the tabs may get lost, so you have to put them back in)

--- cut here for Filemenu.txt---
menu: Testmenu	#1
test1	here is test1
test2	here is test2{enter}and a new line
-
test3	here is test3{tab}and more
test4	here is test4{BS 13}and by now it's getting boring
--- cut here ---