Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Get Bryce 5.0 Free

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic
SoggyDog
  • Members
  • 803 posts
  • Last active: Mar 04 2013 06:27 AM
A new AHK Wallpaper made with Bryce has been added here.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM

WinXP Pro SP2. Perhaps it is because Active Desktop is deactivated.

I also have Active Desktop deactivated and the same OS as you, but I can use bmp, jpg, png, gif, tiff, etc. Maybe it's something else like a registry setting?

I just discovered that the laptop I use at work allows indeed to use a Jpeg or PNG image as background.
Intrigued, I investigated and found:
1) I am not the only one who though this isn't possible:

Well - support for JPEG wallpapers is a new feature in Vista. In previous versions of Windows, only BMP images could be used for wallpapers.

Comments refers to Active Desktop. So I searched the later and found:

2) Indeed, Active Desktop is necessary for this display.

You can enable Active Desktop using a policy

That's for Windows 2000, but it lead to the right path.
The laptop as no special registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer while my main computer, where I found myself unable to set a Jpeg background (although the file chooser shows the option!), has the key:
"NoActiveDesktop"=hex:01,00,00,00

I am not too sure how I have setup this (perhaps with TweakUI, I see other options from there), but I keep this setting... ;-) I changed the value to 0 for testing, and indeed I could set a Jpeg image manually.

Just to clarify a minor but puzzling issue... :-)

Oh, while searching, I found an interesting link leading to a 404 page. ;-)
But I found the new right page: http://www.k10k.net/pixelpatterns/
It shows a good deal of small images designed to tile (mosaic) on Web page or desktop background. These images are user submitted, this ensure a wide variety of patterns!

I remember there used to be a site offering something similar, except you could even design the pattern online, with a Flash application. I wonder if this site still exists. I can't remember its name.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

Jeb
  • Guests
  • Last active:

Try Google SketchUp too... 8)

8) The safest thing might be to help people with the typing set.

SoggyDog
  • Members
  • 803 posts
- BUMP -

Bryce 7.0 FREE

SoggyDog
  • Members
  • 803 posts
- BUMP -

Bryce 7.0 Pro, DAZ Studio 4 Pro and Hexagon 2.5 - Free for a limited time from DAZ 3D