Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Ramdrive for Win XP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
Lemming
  • Members
  • 184 posts
  • Last active: Feb 03 2014 11:03 AM
If you need a Ramdrive for Windows XP, try this free one from AR Soft:

http://www.arsoft-on... ... &Itemid=36

The program is small and easy to install. To change the Ramdrive properties (size, drive letter), just run the program again.

What can you do with a Ramdrive? Well, it might help your scripts run faster, and more reliably.

For example, I use my Ramdrive a lot for games scripting and sometimes for debugging. My game scripts have many ImageSearch commands which load many different image files. Some games are quite hard disk-intensive, so if your script also loads stuff off the hard disk at the same time, it may affect the game, or throw off the timing of your script.

With a Ramdrive, file access times are negligible - it's something like 100 times faster than a hard disk.

I also need to debug full-screen game scripts, and that mainly involves dumping variables and checkpoint info to a file cos I can't keep alt-tabbing in and out of the game. So again, I'm trying to avoid hard disk access.

So far, I have only needed a 3 meg Ramdrive for my scripts. That is not an unreasonable amount of RAM to sacrifice these days. Plus, RAM prices are quite low.

Of course, this is a RAMdrive so everything is lost if you turn off / restart your PC. So don't forget to backup files if you've modified them.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
Good idea, with modern fast disks these virtual devices have gone a bit forgotten.
Now, I suppose you did tests to check that it goes really faster. With system cache, once a file has been loaded, there is a probability that it will remain in memory for next access.
But Ram drive has still some advantages: you can preload the files, and cache can be deleted if gone too old and system need the memory, not the Ram drive.
Thanks for pointing this out, it can become handy some day.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2019 07:41 AM
Of course its faster, but not 100x but around 1000x AFAIK.
Didn't try that implementation but I was uisng MS ramdrive in the past ...
Posted Image

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:
Nice! Will be of great help in disk intensive operations:

; Z: is a RamDisk
ATC := A_TickCount
FileDelete Z:\Files.txt 
Runwait cmd.exe /c Dir /s > Z:\Files.txt, C:\, Hide
MsgBox, % A_TickCount - ATC

If not for Ramdisk the above code will have to simultaneously read/write.

:)
kWo4Lk1.png

Thalon
  • Members
  • 641 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2017 12:17 PM
Hmm... doesn' work here.
I see the drive, but I can't access it.
It's size is 0 byte!

WinXP Professional SP2

I've restartet the PC twice. :(

Any tips around here?
Thalon

Lemming
  • Members
  • 184 posts
  • Last active: Feb 03 2014 11:03 AM
Maj: you're quite right, RAM access time is in nanoseconds (billionth of a second) while hard disk access time is in milliseconds (thousandth of a second). So it could be thousands of times faster!

PhiLho: I didn't benchmark it; I just assumed its faster for the reason Maj mentioned. I'm also aware of XP's cache which is usually quite efficient. But as I mentioned, I'm scripting for a game which is already hard-disk intensive so I don't want to compete with its hard disk access. Anyway, I think the game's file-reads pretty much eats up all the cache. So the Ramdrive seems like a good solution.

Thalon: Not sure why it doesn't work for you. Did you set a drive size? Or perhaps you need to edit some registry settings as described here:
http://www.tweakxp.c...ticle37323.aspx
Just skip the initial part and follow the registry tweak section.

However, I've used the AR Ramdrive in Win2k and Win XP, and I did not have to go thru those registry steps.

Thalon
  • Members
  • 641 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2017 12:17 PM
No.. can't get it running here ...
Yesterday it worked with exact 31MB (after your Install-Tip), but after increasing it to 50 it crashed completely and I can't open it again in ControlPanel...

What a pitty, because it sounds good. 31MB is not enough for the purposes I would need it :(

Thalon

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2019 07:41 AM
I doesn't work here also.

Thalon, there are alternatives.
Posted Image

not-logged-in-daonlyfreez
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Virtual 'disk' programs

Anonymous9
  • Guests
  • Last active:
AR RAM Disk made my windows crash. bluescreen at windows startup. had to restart in safe mode and uninstall the ram disk in order to make windows start again.