Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Compare AutoHotKey and AutoIt3?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic
Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

I, for one, think this deviates from the de facto maxim for Chris' decisions - "10% of site visitors".

Just to clarify, that 10% rule only applies to candidates for the script showcase. It might also apply to making topics sticky.

I'm assuming that a large percentage, if not a majority, of the people reading this don't have a clue either, or if they do, they don't care about [ActiveX] in regard to AutoHotkey.

To be honest, I know very little about ActiveX, com objects, and such. However, my overall impression is that they are not difficult to learn and apply. Others in the past have asked for support for inline VBScript, and certainly something like DLLCall would be quite useful to power users (perhaps akin to Rajat's SendMessage Tutorial).

In short, I have an interest in these features but lack the experience to implement them quickly. That's why I tend to procrastinate them and work on others that have a larger benefit, such as expressions.

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM
Ok, Chris. Sorry 'bout the 10% misunderstanding, and I take back what I said, thinking back on my VBScript request.

AHKnow
  • Members
  • 121 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2009 09:11 PM
Trust me Johnny, if I had the programming skill to implement COM/OLE automation, DLL calling, etc... for AutoHotKey than I would do it in a flash. I'm getting more and more into programming though, so at some point, my skill level will start to catch up to my ideas.

I also think that many users use programs like AutoHotKey, AutoIT, WinBatch, etc... because they want to AVOID hardcore programming, but at the same time want the POWER to do many difficult computer tasks. If there automation/scripting language has the functionality than i think many users will start to use it. I think its more a matter that if a feature is there than various people will use it, but if it is not than they don't. I for sure would use COM/OLE or DLL calling in AutoHotKey if it had. Plus, I'm quite sure that AutoHotKey would do a great job of implementing it and/or making it easier to use than other languages.

Another thing... I admire Chris's spirit and willingness to help. I'm not saying these "high powered" features have to be here today. I'm just hoping they are considered and will be worked on some time in the not too distant future.

Denaes
  • Members
  • 36 posts
  • Last active: Jul 29 2011 09:48 PM

I also think that many users use programs like AutoHotKey, AutoIT, WinBatch, etc... because they want to AVOID hardcore programming, but at the same time want the POWER to do many difficult computer tasks.

I want to second this.

I'm a VB.net developer and I'm sure I could figure out how to do many if not all things in VB.Net that I can do with AutoHotKey, though it would take a lot more effort.

In effect Chris has basically created basic Wrappers of basic and complex C++ (I assume) functions/classes that just require the most basic of input allowing extreme ease of use for their limited applications.

I'm sure I could do this all in VB.net, but to create such a reusable tool that can spit out scripts in minutes (vs hours in the case of programming) would take a monumental amount of work - and with VB.Net you're limited to who has the .Net framework.

This is truely an awesome tool and a great timesaver.

Oh, and the AutoIt3 code posted earlier would not be terribly familiar to VB users in the least. VB is very wordy and that code looked a lot more symbolic. VB would use Not, And and Or while a more symbolic language would use !=, && and || .

That AutoIt3 code looked A LOT like PHP, an internet server side scripting language. In programming languages I'd say it looks closer to Java/C, but I'm not terribly experienced in those languages.

• Guests
  • Last active:
I was investigaing about automation tools and ran into this topic.
I found it interesting how AutoIt3 and AHK compared to each other 6 years ago.

However, 6 years is a hell lot of time when it comes to software, so I wonder... How are this two tools compare to each other right now??

Is AutoIt3 still better than AHK in terms of features, tools and power of the language?

Is AutoIt3 still harder to use when it comes to defining hotkeys?

I'll appreciate any comment from people who's used both.
Thanks.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM
I can tell you that every point (nearly) given in this topic is defunct.
AutoHotkey has DllCall.
AutoHoktey_L has COM support.
As an Autohotkey user, I have never run into an impassable wall. Therefore, no reason to switch. AHK is more 'newb friendly', and I for one think it's more powerful.
DllCall and COM pretty much opened up AHK to every possibility...

...I'm still working on it making toast ;)

user_in_trolling_mode
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Things that AHK_L has that AutoIt3 has not: associative arrays (with inheritance AND class syntax sugar for prototypes), support for COM missing parameters and custom VARIANT values (ComObjParameter), variadic functions and variadic calling.

And perhaps the most important point: a community that isn't a draconian dictatorship.

abusing_guest_posting
  • Guests
  • Last active:

And perhaps the most important point: a community that isn't a draconian dictatorship.

Chicken feed, all the communities in the world cannot compare with a greate tool and its manual.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM

a greate tool and its manual.

its manual.

manual

And there you have it my friends, AutoHotkey it is! :p

jesus2099
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Last active: Dec 12 2013 08:25 AM

[The most comprehensive comparison I could get.]

Thanks very much for this awesome comparison post, Jonny !

Even if I’m 8 years after, it’s still useful to me.

Apart from the syntax comparison (I dislike both, I’m used to c/Java/JavaScript layouts) that I didn’t see real difference, well including this syntax comparison actually, the comparison is so very complete, including the two function lists too !

I was using both tools long time ago without knowing how to choose which one to drop…

I didn’t know why I only use AHK now but as you pointed out that we couldn’t short cut key any key we wanted in AU3, now I know why I use AHK. ;)

PATATE12

PS. I don’t know if you wish to update your post but there is a AUTOIT3.ESY syntax file (created after your post) for EmEditor now.

AHK Johns
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Last active: Jan 12 2014 05:46 AM

Simple. By any measure, AutoIt 3 is much well developed and superior in features as programming language and system management tool. There is no contest on it. For some large programming project, AutoHotKey fall short of handling such a big job. The arbitrary insanity of  AutoHotkey just drives me crazy.

BUT! If your problem at hand is related to handling hotkey or hotstring, AutoIt3 is no match for AutoHotkey, as the name AutoHotKey implies.  For handling hotkey's and hotstring's, AutoHotKey is not just superior to AutoIt3, but it can do much wide and varied job that AutoIt3  simply can not do, at least, in the way as it is intended to be used. Unless the problem at hand is closely related to hotkey or hotstring, except that, there is absolutely no reason to use AutoHotKey over AutoIt3, 

So IMHO, AutoHotKey.DLL + AutoIt3 would be the best combination of both world.

AHK Johns
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Last active: Jan 12 2014 05:46 AM

Double post