Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Best Alternative to Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic
Looq
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Last active:
Yep i said best and i mean it too :p
http://www.explorerxp.com
From the website because i'm too lazy to type or you haven't visted the link yet:

ExplorerXP is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non - commercial use) file manager for Windows 2000/XP. Unlike the regular Windows Explorer, it displays the total size of each folder and allows you to browse multiple folders from a tabbed interface.

Tabbed interface - all your windows (open folders) will appear inside a single ExplorerXP application. The tab bar provides a quick access to all open windows

Easy access to My Computer, Recycle Bin , My Documents & Desktop

Drag & Drop with Explorer, the tab bar and special folders on the main toolbar.

Multi rename tool - allows to rename multiple files in one step.

Displays folder size information and the real size of compressed files & folders.

Merge / Split Tools.

Advanced copy/move.

Unicode support.

USB devices support.

Clean - recursively removes files that match given list of extentions or wildcards.

Groups - A group is a collection of folders, which users are able to access quickly or drag & drop files to them.

Configurable keyboard shortcuts.

8) Rock on :arrow: :wink:

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM
Oooh, you are so asking for it. :lol:

Well, I tried ExplorerXP for a few months, mainly because the default Explorer is as shitty as IE and it's not accesssible from Litestep anyway. It's pretty cool, and anyone who has just recently been saved from the dark abyss that is Microsoft software has good reason to praise it. However... (cheesy conversion story cut out because you know how it goes anyway).

Let's just cut to the chase. :D Xplorer², the successor to 2xExplorer, is remarkable in every way. I'm not saying more than that, for fear of ranting (which I very easily slip into), but you should seriously check it out. They call it shareware, but the features they take out of the free version are trivial and mostly just bells and whistles.

Note: I've already checked it out, and it's completely clean, meaning it won't leave anything on your system when you uninstall. Meaning there's no reason to not try it.

[link]

Looq
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Last active:
oh, i have tried xplorer2 as a matter of fact. It definately has everything there. The interface just bugs me a bit. Plus i got used to the tabs in eplorerxp as well as the groups pane. I know you can set bookmarks in xplorer with ctrl+ (somenumber). Ehh..but as far as being able to arrange the interface :roll: ..i just got fusterrated. :x

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
Well, to each his own. I guess I never thought about the customizability of the interface, being as I'm very satisfied with it, but ExplorerXP has that part of the field covered for sure.

savage
  • Members
  • 207 posts
  • Last active: Jul 03 2008 03:12 AM

it's not accesssible from Litestep

Errrr, yes it is. Lemme guess, whenever you try to run it, the whole explorer shell pops up? Make sure you're using a newer version of litestep and make sure you set it as shell with the setshell utility that comes with it, that way it'll set the registry key that lets explorer run in multi-process mode, which lets you run it under litestep. I have to use it every now and then to deal with crazy encodings in mp3 titles (strange norwegian music :roll: ).

Explorerxp looks pretty nice, but it can never beat Directory Opus.

An interesting aside, one of the best file managers for windows is actually a console mode application. Far Manager is an insane shareware util from rarlabs that's got a plugin interface and a plugin for literally anything you can think of. It's built in text editor is really good once you get used to it, and there's even an activescript plugin so I can script it python or vb or whatever. It's the greatest norton commander clone ever made. It's worth getting just to play around with. :)

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts

Make sure you're using a newer version of litestep and make sure you set it as shell with the setshell utility that comes with it, that way it'll set the registry key that lets explorer run in multi-process mode, which lets you run it under litestep.

Surprise, surprise. You're right. I had a really old build until last night. Not that I'll use Explorer, of course.

Explorerxp looks pretty nice, but it can never beat Directory Opus.

I think anyone who watched Internet Explorer vs. Netscape can agree on this: Shareware and freeware simply cannot be compared. I mean that in more than one way (feel free to ask what ways). Truthfully, the only kinds of software I'm willing to pay for are [good] games and linux distro cd's. If I were willing to pay for a file manager, I'd probably choose DO over xplorer² pro, but hey, I'm not. I think the opinions on this subject also depend on whether you like Commander-based managers (I'm not the biggest fan).

An interesting aside, one of the best file managers for windows

I object to the use of "best" here since it seems that the matter is based on opinion. From now on, let's avoid superlatives, k? :)

Looq
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Last active:
Seesh, ok..hmm... How about "a personally highly preferrable alternatie to windows explorer" ? I didn't know about directory opus :oops: I just looked at some screen shots and...woah...it looks pretty loaded as well. I'll have to give a try soon. Thanks :)

Serenity
  • Members
  • 1271 posts
  • Last active:
Someone really needs to port EmelFM to windows.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West
Posted Image

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
Bah. Konqueror should come first. Then again, there's a lot of apps that should be ported to Windows.

Hell, let's just port Linux to Windows. :lol:

P.S. I abhor CygWin, so don't say it.

Serenity
  • Members
  • 1271 posts
  • Last active:
I dislike Konqueror and KDE. Give me EmelFM and Fluxbox and I'm a happy lass. :) (For Linux at least. I feel like Windows is inaccessible when running Blackbox.)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West
Posted Image

ULTRA
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • Last active: Mar 11 2012 09:39 PM
Cool, I will give it a try!
In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates?

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
Lemme guess... Ultra only read the first post.... :x

savage
  • Members
  • 207 posts
  • Last active: Jul 03 2008 03:12 AM

I object to the use of "best"

Alright, feature rich then. In that regard, it's nuts.

And I'll admit, I can't live without a commander-style interface. I'd honestly be happier using a freeware or free software filemanager, but I've grown too accustomed to DO and FAR's features to switch back.

baldrick
  • Guests
  • Last active:
that is when cutting or copying a bunch of files from one location to another and Windows deterines there is problem with accessing one of the files, you are displayed amessage and the operation is aborted. no attempt is made to cleanup, continue or even inform you of how much work was successful.

i will look elsewhere, somebody must have fixed this bug, it's so annoying.

les.

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM
I am using SpeedCommander for Years. It is my favorite Windows Explorer killer replacement.
Screenshots

But it is not free, commercial.

No signature.