Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

SendMsg [CMD]

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic
jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM

The SendMsg utility is used to post messages to various windows in the Windows operating system using the built-in messaging subsystem. Messages which can be posted include, (but are not limited to) closing, hiding, resizing, and user-defined messages as well. If you are not familiar with how the messaging system works, please consult the Windows SDK, or the Microsoft MSDN library for more information, specifically the SendMessage and PostMessage and related system calls.

The utility is designed to run from a command line. It has no graphical output. Messages can be posted to windows based on their title text, class name, or handle.

In addition to posting messages, this utility can also be used to list windows which match a certain criteria.

The format of the command line is as follows: (this information is also available by running the SENDMSG with the /? parameter)

SendMsg {switches} [SearchStr] {Message} {wParam} {lParam}

Switches:
/CLASS or /TEXT Specify whether to search for window classname or title
/NOWAIT Post message without waiting for result
/[IN]VISIBLE Include only [in]visible windows
/TOP Include only top-level windows
/PAUSExxx Delay for xxx seconds after sending each message
/EXAMPLES Show example command lines

SearchStr String to search for. Wildcards ? and * allowed
SearchStr is NOT case sensitive
Use "double quotations" if SearchStr contains spaces
Message Message to send. If omitted, find windows only
Constants in CONST.TXT [+/- offset] allowed
wParam wParam parameter. If omitted, use "0" as default
lParam lParam parameter. If omitted, use "0" as default

All numeric values can be listed in either decimal or $hexadecimal.

[Homepage]
[Download]

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts
  • Last active: Nov 01 2014 03:23 PM
Here's another one... ;)

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
Very funny. Here's what sparked my fancy. It's cool to have the versatility of messaging without needing an ahk script. Sometimes a whole script seems like too much. Plus, this'd be great for getting chicks. 8)

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2015 07:45 AM

this'd be great for getting chicks. 8)

huh??

SendMsg {switches} [SearchStr] {Message} {wParam} {lParam}

SendMsg /babe NextDoorHottie I'veARedFerrari Come HaveMe
:idea: :?: :!:

MIA

CleanNews.in : Bite sized latest news headlines from India with zero bloat

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
I feel obligated to say I do actually know some girls who would like this... (No, not Seren or miss-x :lol: ) But I was joking. :p

rainy
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Last active: Feb 23 2005 03:52 AM
Have you checked this out or did you just link it? I don't downlaod executables unless I know I can trust them.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
don't worry... i've used it for a long time.

MIA

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
I downloaded it and tested right after I posted it. If you want, I can run it through Norton, too. :D

*cough* paranoid *cough*

@Rajat: You've used this program for a long time? Or did you mean messages in general? If it's the former, you get a slap for not posting it earlier. :p

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
i meant this program jonny! ... and this was so useful that i persuaded Chris to get the functionality in ahk itself, after he told me that it'd not be difficult. thanx to him!

and for not posting it... well uhmmm...

MIA

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
I see.

rainy
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Last active: Feb 23 2005 03:52 AM
You reply very fast, jonny. That isn't a compliment. You must check this forum every half-hour. Here's a clue: its just a program. If you're going to be that obsessive about something, at least make it something worthwile like sports or a good hobby. I find sending messages useful for what I'm doing right now, and I thank you for the promptness of your help, but you need to get a life.

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
Um... I'm not sure how to take that.... :?

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
Ok, I've got a semi-decent reply:

This "hobby" to which you allude is programming for me. I've always been intrigued by this form of "modern sorcery" and I've been into it since about two years ago. My father was also a programmer. Of course, I've never had any actual experience with programming. I started with batch files, and I once tried Perl, but my procrastinating spirit never let me go very far. Recently, I've been using AutoHotkey as my vehicle into the world of programming since it's quite simple while still being useful, powerful, and "hacky" enough to satisfy tweaking/programming desires. Just a few weeks ago I finally downloaded a compiler and I've been slowly but surely teaching myself C++. This is my world. I don't much care what you think I should like, I like computers and I like making them do things. Among some of my other hobbies are Tekken, DDR, programming Palm Pilots, and NASCAR. Screw sports.

ranomore
  • Members
  • 171 posts
  • Last active: Mar 01 2013 01:41 PM
Among some of my other hobbies are Tekken, DDR, programming Palm Pilots, and NASCAR.

Yeah Palm Pilots! I often dream about AHK scripts I'd write to make them do things faster (ridiculous, I know). :oops:

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
It sounds cool, but the majority of AHK commands wouldn't have much of a use on a standard Palm OS. There is a BASIC interpreter for it, though, and there might be others. And, of course, there's some good development software to compile .prc's.