Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

Control screensaver and wallpaper?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic
Anonymous Coward
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hi all,

Been fiddling around with how to conveniently control my screensavers and also the wallpaper...

Sigh...

Best I could find are these:

hkSSControl (includes source with API calls)

and

setdesk (only .bmp)

---

Maybe interesting: I found this wall.dll for changing the wallpaper

More interesting: SPI_SETDESKWALLPAPER: apparently the API call that does it all...

---

Would be great to be able to do all this from AutoHotkey, don't you agree? :wink: ...

Or do you have any better ideas? 8)

Greetings,

Anonymous Coward :p

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts
  • Last active: Nov 01 2014 03:23 PM
What exactly are you looking to do? I've personally never found right clicking on the desktop and selecting properties that inconvenient for changing backgrounds/screensavers...

Anonymous Coward
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Thought I'd share these too:

Camsaver, a screensaver that shows your webcam fullscreen

BlueScreen, very nice screensaver that simulates a crash

Really..., they are... the most beautiful free screensavers available

ActiveSaver... no longer on the homepage..., but downloadable from here

Anonymous Coward
  • Guests
  • Last active:
@corrupt: Right clicking and selecting Properties sure is an easy way, but 'invisible' is easier and 'more beautiful', I think.

I am looking for the best way to do this silently, so I can get rid of Webshots (which is the best free wallpaper-manager I could find, but it phones home too much to my taste)...

And why not be able to script it from AutoHotkey, change the wallpaper directly...

Since Webshots also functiones as my screensaver, I thought about scripting the screensaver too...

Again, why not, all the other free utilities available are way too big and bulky.

If possible, one could easily use either the screensaver or the wallpaper as a source of information too. Write info to the wallpaper, or write it to screen if running as screensaver. 8)

daonlyfreez
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Another thought:

One could create a AutoHotkey program and run it as a screensaver. With interaction this would be a great way of providing an interface for e.g. installations, or one could just create a custom screensaver which might pull something of the internet and present it, or do anything else a script could do.

I also like the idea of writing information to the wallpaper, it could quite simply be done by opening Paint, move it off-screen, opening the wallpaper-to-be, insert text or images over it, save it, and present it as wallpaper...

Something like Bginfo 8)

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

More interesting: SPI_SETDESKWALLPAPER: apparently the API call that does it all...

Thanks. I'm going to look into adding this.

daonlyfreez
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hmm...

Have been trying to create a simple AutoHotkey-app to use as screensaver, but it seems it won't react to mouse-moves/keyboard actions, which normally close screensavers...

Do I need to write routines for this?

---

Info about screensavers in general I found:

A .scr file is an ordinary .exe program, renamed. Every .scr program should support the following command line switches:

/s or no arguments at all:
Screensaver mode, run the screensaver itself

/c:
Configuration mode, display configuration window (most screensaver have a configuration form where you can change settings like speed, color or whatever)

/p:
Preview mode, run screensaver in the little Display Settings window.

Another interesting info: To install a screensaver from a command line, you can run this command:

rundll32.exe desk.cpl,InstallScreenSaver your.scr

---

Any thoughts on using AutoHotkey to create a screensaver?

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM
If you're running a script as a screensaver, you have to make it all from scratch: blanking out the screen, exiting on input, etc. Also, try searching the forum, there's some older topics on this subject that will probably help.

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts
  • Last active: Nov 01 2014 03:23 PM

@corrupt: Right clicking and selecting Properties sure is an easy way, but 'invisible' is easier and 'more beautiful', I think.

#Persistent
Return

^!S::
IfWinExist, Display Properties
{
WinClose, Display Properties
}
Run, Control desk.cpl`,`,1
Return

^!W::
IfWinExist, Display Properties
{
WinClose, Display Properties
}
Run, Control desk.cpl`,`,0
Return

I am looking for the best way to do this silently, so I can get rid of Webshots (which is the best free wallpaper-manager I could find, but it phones home too much to my taste)...

You could also stop Webshots from calling home by using a firewall (Kerio Personal Firewall & Zone Alarm (and others) allow blocking a particular application from sending and/or receiving).

A script with similar functionality to Webshots could be fun :)...

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2015 07:45 AM

Thanks. I'm going to look into adding this.

is it somehow possible to do something like Post/SendMessage etc for APIs?
like u didn't include the support for one specific msg but a general cmd... so one just puts the cmd & parameters as needed. can something similar be made for APIs? ...it'd be awesome when we just spy on the APIs used by a certain app and then use it in our scripts!

MIA

CleanNews.in : Bite sized latest news headlines from India with zero bloat

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Yes, the ability to call API functions and other DLLs is planned, probably sometime after function calling.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2015 07:45 AM

Yes, the ability to call API functions and other DLLs is planned, probably sometime after function calling.

wow! i can hardly wait... thanx!

MIA

CleanNews.in : Bite sized latest news headlines from India with zero bloat

daonlyfreez
  • Members
  • 995 posts
  • Last active: Jan 23 2013 08:16 AM
And here is another one for wallpaper control:

CHGWALL
Posted Image mirror 1mirror 2mirror 3ahk4.me • PM or Posted Image

alaricljs
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Last active: Apr 23 2008 05:00 PM
Here's the one I use with my wallpaper changing script: bsetroot

It's from bblean and has some nice extra features (like background colors/patterns behind less than fullscreen images)
Spoon!

daonlyfreez
  • Members
  • 995 posts
  • Last active: Jan 23 2013 08:16 AM
8) thanx for that one
Posted Image mirror 1mirror 2mirror 3ahk4.me • PM or Posted Image