Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Dropbox - Free 2GB Online storage, backup/sync/share [URL]

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic
daonlyfreez
  • Members
  • 995 posts
  • Last active: Jan 23 2013 08:16 AM
Dropbox

What exactly is Dropbox?

- Dropbox runs in the background on your desktop.
- Sync your files automatically to your computers and the web.
- Sign in and access your files from any browser or mobile device.
- Sharing files with your friends and family is just two clicks away.
- View your photos in a gallery and share them easily with anyone.

They offer clients for Windows (XP, Vista), Mac OS X and Linux.

The Windows client is huge (14 MB), but seems to work fine. You don't need a client to work with Dropbox, but it sure helps...

8)
Posted Image mirror 1mirror 2mirror 3ahk4.me • PM or Posted Image

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM
thank you very much. I shall try this out.
and 14MB isn't huge :p
1 minute download at 160KB/s (max of 256)
I just hope theres no "delete file in 7 days" type thing.

hmmmm. it seems to disable my internet connection. I cannot goto any webpages and my messengers crashed. I had to uninstall to get my connection back. Oh well. Maybe because I'm wireless?

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

Chavez
  • Members
  • 256 posts
  • Last active: Oct 13 2009 01:27 PM

Dropbox allows you to store up to 2 GB free of charge. Dropbox reserves the right to terminate Free Accounts at any time, with or without notice. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, if a Free Account is inactive for ninety (90) days, then Dropbox may delete any or all of Your Files without providing additional notice.

-Chavez.

daonlyfreez
  • Members
  • 995 posts
Hmm, installation on my machine (XP SP3, network) went without problems...

Oh, and good to know there is an "inactivity" clause...

I only found out about this one yesterday, haven't done much with it yet, but it sure looks promising (and it's multi-platform, I like...)

daonlyfreez
  • Members
  • 995 posts
Ok, this turned out to be very nice indeed. Here are some screenshots (hosted in the public folder of my Dropbox)

The Dropbox folder on my system (and it's system tray)

Posted Image

The Webinterface

Posted Image

Some AutoHotkey file I have been working on

Posted Image

and it's revisions (so I simply save the script inbetween, and if needed, I can return to a previous version)

Posted Image

And here the screenshots you see now hosted in the public folder

Posted Image

(one remark: if you move a file around in your dropbox, the revisions will be lost)

So, what do people use Dropbox for? We have people sharing documents between their colleagues at work, grandparents sharing pictures of their grandkids with the rest of their family, and students utilizing our versioning feature for projects. The possibilities are really only limited by imagination and, well… bandwidth. The team at Dropbox continues to be amazed at how many of our users find new and novel ways of… thinking outside the (Drop)box. Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Here are a few uses that we found particularly cool:

- Several of our users use Dropbox to synchronize chat logs (for MSN, AIM, etc.) across all computers of an account.

- One user set up his webcam to record video once motion is detected, with the resulting file being dumped into his Dropbox. He uses this combination as a security system of sorts when he’s out of town.

- Other users have managed to add some convenience to their work routine by routing incoming faxes to their Dropbox folders.

- Some of our more hardcore gamers have used Dropbox to synchronize their mods and customizations for games like World of Warcraft.

- We’ve even had some people run full websites out of their public directory, making uploading updates to FTP servers a thing of the past.

There are still tons of uses that haven’t been explored yet, and we’re anxious to see what else Dropbox can be used for.

n-l-i-d
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Let me report (and bump) on this again...

So far working as expected, very nicely...

One thing: moving or renaming files makes the revisions go "lost", apparently DropBox treats them as deleted/added, so keep this in mind (you could restore the renamed file though).

8)

BeetleTX330
  • Members
  • 32 posts
  • Last active: Aug 23 2010 05:20 AM
My first concerns are about security: I must consider the possibility that the app running in the background can and may access my (private) data and do who knows what else.

Maybe I will feel more secure if I ran the Dropbox app under a newly-created NT account and modifed the NTFS permissions to allow that account access to ONLY the local Dropbox folder (and the system ones it needs in order to run) so that the app is locked down from ALL other drives and folders?

What do y'all think?
-- Thanks, BeetleTX330

Maestr0
  • Members
  • 652 posts
  • Last active: Aug 17 2019 06:07 PM

My first concerns are about security: I must consider the possibility that the app running in the background can and may access my (private) data and do who knows what else.

Maybe I will feel more secure if I ran the Dropbox app under a newly-created NT account and modifed the NTFS permissions to allow that account access to ONLY the local Dropbox folder (and the system ones it needs in order to run) so that the app is locked down from ALL other drives and folders?

What do y'all think?

I think I'm going to try making a script that does some of the things dropbox does, namely compare and synchronise certain files in a certain folder with a folder on my personal FTP.

I'll be trying to get it to use an SFTP commandline for it.

The main reason for making this script is because I hate the fact that dropbox is not portable, though there is a hack on their forums that kinda makes it portable, though not for the latest version.

I do my own manual version control, so yeah, I don't care about that part :)

Any thoughts?

haichen
  • Members
  • 200 posts
  • Last active: Oct 20 2013 01:14 PM
If you've a free account you can get some more space (250 MB) by invite your friends.

Here's my invitation for you:
<!-- m -->https://www.dropbox....ls/NTEzOTEzMjE5<!-- m -->

And this is the link to the portable:
<!-- m -->http://forums.dropbo...pic.php?id=7729<!-- m -->

One interesting point for some of you:
The latest versions can sync the dropbox very fast over your lan.

have a nice day.

Maestr0
  • Members
  • 652 posts
  • Last active: Aug 17 2019 06:07 PM
tx, I tried that portable edition, keeps trying to update and then stops working :/

thanks for the invite

noise
  • Members
  • 57 posts
  • Last active: Aug 31 2018 10:16 AM

If you've a free account you can get some more space (250 MB) by invite your friends.

Here's my invitation for you:
<!-- m -->https://www.dropbox....ls/NTEzOTEzMjE5<!-- m -->

And this is the link to the portable:
<!-- m -->http://forums.dropbo...pic.php?id=7729<!-- m -->

One interesting point for some of you:
The latest versions can sync the dropbox very fast over your lan.

have a nice day.

Excellent thanks/

Thanks for registering for Dropbox! For accepting Rainer Friebel's invitation, we've awarded you 250 MB of bonus space. You now have a total of 2.25 GB on Dropbox!

:)

haichen
  • Members
  • 200 posts
  • Last active: Oct 20 2013 01:14 PM

Excellent thanks/

Thanks for registering for Dropbox! For accepting Rainer Friebel's invitation, we've awarded you 250 MB of bonus space. You now have a total of 2.25 GB on Dropbox!

:)

It's me to say thanks.
haichen :D

Here is another link about an AutoIt program for dropbox users.
"This little program allows you to send files and/or folders directly from the Explorer context menu to your Dropbox/Public folder. Afterwards, the corresponding links to the files will be copied to your clipboard, so you can paste them right away in the instant message or email you prepared the files for."
http://www.asymmetri.../dropbox/public

And for german readers: how to use a truecrypt container in the dropbox.
(If the timestamp is unchanged the dropbox only uploads a diff!)
http://stadt-bremerh...n-in-der-cloud/

daonlyfreez
  • Members
  • 995 posts
Before signing up, consider using a referral link for more diskspace.

Go to this thread, and after signing up via a referral link, post your own referral link back.

8)

HTH

atomh
  • Members
  • 45 posts
  • Last active: Mar 10 2012 03:55 AM
I used someone elses ^ link to sign up. pretty good service ;)

appreciate it if anyone would use mine
<!-- m -->http://www.dropbox.c.../NTEwMzk3MzA4OQ<!-- m -->

bty that other thread is locked :S

Rapte_Of_Suzaku
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Last active: Jul 08 2011 02:12 PM
Ran across this thread... so I may as well: <!-- m -->http://www.dropbox.c...ls/NTEzNjIyNTI5<!-- m -->

And if you register with a .edu address, you'll get twice the bonus space.

To tie this all back to AHK a bit more, I have AHK and all my scripts saved in my Dropbox. It keeps my scripts synced between multiple computers, and for simple AHK scripts it could function as a simple code subversion system.