Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

DiamondCS Freeware Console Tools

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic
Murp-e
  • Members
  • 531 posts
  • Last active: Sep 27 2011 11:44 AM
m^2: I've never been a fan of .NET either. I tried writing some tiny programs in Visual Basic Express and didn't care much for it. The code was full of lengthy references and no substance: a strong contrast to AHK where every line actually does something.

Anyhow, powershell felt nothing like my first .NET experience. As majkinetor mentions, the power of the language/shell is it's ability to link together chains of commands by creating and manipulating everything as objects. The idea comes directly from the Linux/Unix world I believe, but someone seems to have done an excellent job of sewing it all together.

My only complaint so far was that I couldn't find a way of creating a .PS script and have it execute when I double click it. For security reasons, this has been disabled by default, but I couldn't figure out a way to enable it.

I'd highly recommend you go through the tutorial if you haven't tried it! I will PM you a direct link.

m^2
  • Members
  • 100 posts
  • Last active: Mar 01 2011 09:31 AM
Thanks Murp|e, but I banned .NET for own use.

4NT is very good too and unlike PowerShell, it's authors care about software quality. It's payware and not cheap, but worth the price. Unlike PowerShell which is not worth the HDD space for me.

Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security.

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2019 07:41 AM
Power Shell can not be compared with archaic shells mentioned above, nor AHK Programming can be compared with dotNet programming.

dotNet may be guilty for being closed propriatery unlike Java, but that doesn't mean that people didn't find a way around it (Portable.Net, Mono etc..)

THere is a lot of resources around, just go offical PS page and browse from there.

If you use windows, u probably use dotNet anway. If you don't use it now, u will use it pretty soon.

PS ships as default shell in WIndows 7 so if you want to ban it , then ull have to ban windows too.

All newer MS products, like Exchange server, Sql Server 2008, etc.. use Power Shell for automation. You can even use PS inside your own applicatin.

2m^2
I can't understand ppl hating dotNet. I can understan people hating Microsoft. dotNet is now beyond MS, but still there is nothing around comparing to Microsfot implementation which is why the folks at Portable.Net suggest you to not get addicted to MS implemenation. At the current stage, dotNet purpose is pretty much ridiculous and emberessing - MS wanted their own Java but they implemented it only for WIndows unlike Sun (so if it runs only on windows, they could do all that with plain ANSI C++). They left other OSes to volunteers and nerds (which do pretty amazing job goverend by Novell and somewhat Google). The guys at microsoft don't know limits in their rudness. For instance, few days ago I read that Igor Mochnik released 40% ready crossplatform ready Power Shell.. The comment bellow was:

Jeffrey Snover said
04/07/2008 at 11:44 pm

I can’t tell you how many customers have been asking for this.
I think it will be quite popular.
We should figure out how to make sure that you are totally in synch with PS so that we don’t drive customers crazy.

Jeffrey Snover [MSFT]
Windows Management Partner Architect
Visit the Windows PowerShell Team blog at: <!-- m -->http://blogs.msdn.com/PowerShell<!-- m -->
Visit the Windows PowerShell ScriptCenter at: <!-- m -->http://www.microsoft... ... s/msh.mspx<!-- m -->

This dude Jeffrey, the architect, really tends to be anoying from time to time (I read his blog, this is not the first time). As you can see here, he says that "we should figure out ... bla bla... so that WE don't drive customers crazy"... I mean.. what the **** was that ? What customers ? Who are WE ? The man is doing that for free, while PS Team get their astronomic salary at MS. Why should he care about MS customers. WHy should he let MS benefit out of his work....

So, yes, MS sux bad as always, but somehow happens that they bought some good people like Anders Hejlsberg (Delphi architect) and those people in PS team...
Posted Image

m^2
  • Members
  • 100 posts
It's a technology designed to waste user time. Just like Java, but with Java it's a trade off to achieve portability while with .NET it's entirely pointless.

The slowdown is usually negligible, but still I find this technology disgusting.

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts

It's a technology designed to waste user time.

And how would you know if you don't use it ?

Its quite differently, especially in PowerShell witch further levereges dotNet by introducing case insensitivity with cool and powerfull shell language (that supports meta programming).

On top of that C# is better then Java, its simply the fact that its 10 years or so newer so designers could learn how to solve common problems in the meantime.

Programming in C# cuts the time you need a lot in both windows and web domain. Visual WebGui for instance is revolutional engine for web apps that threats them the same as windows apps and you cut your development time by 90%. Windows apps are converted to AJAX ASPX apps on the fly.

There are lots of tech around dotNet today, most of it are ports of successifull Java frameworks, like nHibernate, nDocs etc...

The slowdown is usually negligible, but still I find this technology disgusting.

If you by this thik about actuall execution time (not development time), then you may be right. Net is slow, Java is slow, but also Python is slow. THere are stories around that it isn't true citating some ppl providing fast code which are actually freaks, doing optimisaitons entire life so they are not comparable to every-day folks doing programs in .net . On top of that u can acutally compile it using ngen on native machine code if you dont' need portability aspect, and you will most definitely not need it.

All that things you are talking now will be meaningless few years from now. Computers will run dotNet/Java apps like its is ASM code.

Most of all, C# v3 is beautifull (lambda expressions, fast reflextions, code emiters, less burden on type declaration, integrated SQL...). Give it a try. Its pretty ridiculous to hate technology. Its like hating atom bomb.
Posted Image

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts

My only complaint so far was that I couldn't find a way of creating a .PS script and have it execute when I double click it. For security reasons, this has been disabled by default, but I couldn't figure out a way to enable it.

Type this:
Set-ExecutionPolicy -e AllSigned

You will be able after that to exeucte script by typing .\script_name.ps1.
You can add your custom functions in $PROFILE script (pandan to bash .profile)

Dot is mandatory unless you add current path to the $PATH variable. This is not suggested for its potential abuse (the same is true in bash).

For alternative you can check out: HotWire OOP shell done in Python. (ALthough author claims its better then PS, it isn't and he didn't dive into PS enough to understand it actually support graphical enviornment. Its only that powershell.exe - default host - doesn't. Check this out).

To get started in PS try PowerShell Analyser for free or trial of PowerShell Plus (awesome thing)

For fun, see power gadgets and PowerBoots.
Posted Image

m^2
  • Members
  • 100 posts
majkinetor, I replied here. Didn't want to make too big offtopic.