Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

DM2

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic
majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2019 07:41 AM

DM2 provides several Windows enhancements that may help in every-day work. One of the nicest and most popular features of DM2 is minimizing windows to floating icons® (unique feature!) freeing both task bar and tray bar space. Moreover, DM2 can manipulate windows in various ways: minimize to tray, make them standing always on-top over all other windows, roll to caption, resize, align to screen borders, hide, set the opacity etc. DM2 also helps with Open/Save dialog boxes, by providing user-defined menu with favorites and recent files and folders. Plenty of program's settings options will satisfy most of requirements.

And that is not all! DM2 also supports custom plugins, which further enhances the program and that usually covers some more specific functionalities. So, from this aspect, one may think of DM2 as a small, but robust manager for all kind of plugins. Find what you need, plug it in, and use it:)

The best one out there.

<!-- m -->http://dm2.sourceforge.net/<!-- m -->
Posted Image

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM
nice find. Been looking for a floating icon system to remove from task bar entry.
know any AHK scripts to do that so I don't need this whole app?

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
AHK app can't be this tiny for start.

Second, if you carefully check all the available options u will see that this app actually combine dozen of simialr apps doing one thing per time.

For instance, checkout system's window menu.
Check out various button clicks on tittle buttons etc...

AHK app can not hook the system so susccesifully anyway as app writen in native API in C.

Author of the app happens to be my good friend, and he is one of the best programmers in country.
Posted Image

Drugwash
  • Members
  • 1078 posts
  • Last active: May 24 2016 04:20 PM
Been using this neat toy a few years ago, especially for the floating icons capability and Favorite Folders button in Open/Save dialogs. Too bad they never got around implementing automated alignment of floating icons, which is one of the reasons why I eventually stopped using it.

There's also one catch with it: every once in a while it crashes and when it does, any application minimized to floating icon will remain invisible and unrestorable and can only be killed through a task manager application. That was another reason for my stopping using it.

Of course, the snapshot preview wouldn't work in Win9x although it wouldn't be hard to fix since AHK can do it just fine with the help of GDI+ (see holomind's script here).

Anyway, please ask your friend if he's planning on updating DM2 in any way, maybe I'll start using it again since I've been very fond of it back then. I'm also willing to test any alpha/beta version. Actually I can build it myself since I see the code is advertised as VC6-compatible.

(AHK 1.0.48.05 and Win98SE) forever | My scripts are here

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
I am not sure if he is going to update it, maybe ..... there is also that chinese dude working on it.

It never crashed here. I am using it on several systems. Although I don't use floating icons feature.
Posted Image

HotKeyIt
  • Moderators
  • 7439 posts
  • Last active: Jun 22 2016 09:14 PM
:lol: AWESOME :lol: Thanks a lot :!: I like the icons

Drugwash
  • Members
  • 1078 posts

I am not sure if he is going to update it, maybe ..... there is also that chinese dude working on it.

It never crashed here. I am using it on several systems. Although I don't use floating icons feature.

I noticed latest branch project has Chinese encoding. Looks like everything has to be "Made in China" lately. :)

About crashes... those happened with 1.20-1.22, about 2-3 years ago and only occasionally, in Win98SE. So far I only noticed certain floating icon (SlimBrowser) appears empty (transparent). I've built DM2 1.23.2 from latest branch and will try to test when possible.

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
FlyFlancy (chinese dude) seems superb programmer.
He added plugins in dm2 along with some other features.

DM2 could be better designed tho. Some things it misses is separated configuration application with better interface. I heard Najgor talking about that too, but you know.. real life is evil. The guy mostly work in Java now pretty much avoiding MS tech. I really doubt he will ever update it. Its pitty, cuz its supperb app. To be honest, I use it just because of its updates of title bar ( additional clicks on each button + updated system menu with priorities, transparency, always on top etc)

I don't use anything else from DM2 features.
Posted Image

Drugwash
  • Members
  • 1078 posts
I agree it's a pretty well done application. I mostly used the floating icons and the CD control, very rarely the virtual desktops and titlebar roll up/down.

g0rk
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Last active:
There is some plugin that allow me to hide the tray icons?

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:
Nice app.. thanks. :)

HotKeyIt
  • Moderators
  • 7439 posts
Try WinToMin

lilalurl.T32
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • Last active: Jul 05 2011 03:39 PM

I am trying to build something similar, at least to get the great functionality.

Good luck with that. Some interesting things already in here.

Except the points mentionned below, it seems to work as advertised.

Btw, in case you don't know it, this script has some interesting/similar functionalities. <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...ic.php?p=209336<!-- m -->

- Click RButton on Title Bar of minisized window for preview picture.

I had a quick test of your script (coudl give it more time on Sunday if I remember).

That part didn't work for me. When I right click for the preview picture, I have a small preview box that appears, but the content is blank (actually it looks more like filled in with some sort of grey).
Also the star icon appears briefly in the taskbar then disappears.

The funny thing is I tried to take a screenshot to show the problem but in the screenshot, things appear as they should :?: :?:

I use the winXP theme (slightly customized)

Problem 2: When I restart my script, window hangs and its picture is not updated it just freezes. I assume I have not deleted the pointer of the buffer to that window or simmilar, I am not sure what needs to be changed.

I am not sure if this is exactly what you describe but when I make a window "float" and restore it, the reload the script, there is some apparent freeze (the main window seems frozen, vertical scroll doesn't work anymore, when I click to change tabs (in firefox or notepad++) nothing happens but using ctrl+tab does display the tab titles, I can click on the menu bar and it displays the menus although without the normal menu opening animation=.

Also, a floating window did not restore to its normal state when the script exited.
________
Honda Z50A history

HotKeyIt
  • Moderators
  • 7439 posts

Btw, in case you don't know it, this script has some interesting/similar functionalities. <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...ic.php?p=209336<!-- m -->

Thanks a lot for that hint, I have implemented this, just wonderful :D

I had a quick test of your script (coudl give it more time on Sunday if I remember).

That part didn't work for me. When I right click for the preview picture, I have a small preview box that appears, but the content is blank (actually it looks more like filled in with some sort of grey).

Is it fixed now?

Also the star icon appears briefly in the taskbar then disappears.

The funny thing is I tried to take a screenshot to show the problem but in the screenshot, things appear as they should :?: :?:

I use the winXP theme (slightly customized)

Screenshot should be fine now. Does the icon stay now?

I have uploaded an updated script, it should not freeze now as well.

lilalurl.T32
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • Last active: Jul 05 2011 03:39 PM
I am glad to report that the freezing problem seems indeed to be gone.

However the preview picture remains, although a bit different.

An attempt to describe it what happens would that when I right click, I see the preview picture but greyed for a few milliseconds (it lasts the blink of an eye), then the correct preview picture for another milliseconds and then it disappears (I think it becomes grey again before disappearing).
As before the star icon in the taskbar only appears briefly when doing that.

Sadly, I don't know how to help you troubleshoot that. Video card specific problem perhaps (ATI radeon 9600 here)? Gdi32.dll version mismatch (5.1.2600.3466 here)?

If I understand correctly, the normal behaviour would be that when I right click on a 'floating' icon, the star icon appears in the taskbar (reflecting the creation of a GUI I suppose) and the preview screenshot appears (and stays for a while/until something is done, I suppose?).
________
W221