Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

Hamachi: a free secure virtual network over the internet

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic
passerby
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Oct 07 2005 07:44 PM

...releasing source code that is different from the one that is used

You catch them immediately with recompiling the source. In fact, this is the test most people do with open source security SW. In many cases binaries are not even provided.

Of course you cannot catch them immediately. In fact you will not likely to catch them at all.

You will need assembly-level review of the entire application, which is _not_ how "most people" deal with "an open source security SW". Mere binary comparision will yield nothing unless you replicate their build environment bit-to-bit including matching a system time. You will be able to see major blocks of code being added or removed, but - putting your own example to use - you will _not_ detect PRNG initialization done differently in pre-compiled binary.

There is a difference between what you can do and what you actually will do. You can make a detailed review of their code and you can audit assembly of the pre-built binary. But in practice you will not do it, because it's extremely tedious and takes enourmous amount of time. You will likely to assume that since sources are open, their developer must mean no evil. Maybe you will look at the sources, but again this tells you nothing about the binary distro.

Open-sourced or closed-sourced, if you plan to use binaries, analyzing program's output/input is the only real way to establish a trust in it. And this is where 'open spec' comes into a picture. Open source might ease a mild paranoia, but open specs deal with severe one.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
You make some good points but there are a couple I mildly disagree with.

You will likely to assume that since sources are open, their developer must mean no evil.

I don't think I'd make that assumption if the software is being used in something very important such as an integral part of an organization's mission.

Maybe you will look at the sources, but again this tells you nothing about the binary distro.

If I had any doubt about the trustworthiness of the party that created the binary, I'd weigh that against the mission impact of a bad binary. If there was sufficient concern, I'd compile my own or go to someone I trust to compile it.

So while open-source doesn't guarantee trustworthiness, it provides you the means to guarantee it if you put enough effort into it. This is an enormous benefit in my opinion.

Laszlo
  • Moderators
  • 4713 posts
  • Last active: Mar 31 2012 03:17 AM
I fully agree with what Chris wrote. Adding to that

...assembly-level review of the entire application

You don't compare binaries, of course, but the output. They must be identical, except if real (physical) randomness is used. In that case you must be able to supply the entropy source as an input, making the output deterministic. If this is not possible, you should not fully trust the precompiled binaries and use instead your own compiled version. (For the real paranoid the trust issue moves now to the compiler: does it add secretly some backdoor functions?) But, it is an awful lot of work, and should be done by some independent security researcher. If you trust him, your confidence to the SW increases. It is enough that just once, one person finds an anomaly, and the trust will be lost, therefore, supplying the wrong source code is not the best way to cheat.

As I already hinted, cheating is still possible with fully open (innocent looking) source code, too. An example is the handling of duplicate message blocks. You should abort the protocol, but how many of us would not accept the "optimization", that the last block would be used among the duplicates with the same sequence number (opening a back door for a man-in-the-middle attack)? Another example is a homebrewed hash function. Say, the hashed disk serial number and the tick count are used to seed a random number generator. You could argue that these are not known by the server, so the nonces are secure. But, how would you test a sufficiently complex piece of hash function code? I can write a function which provides output only dependent on the last 16 bits of the tick count and the last 4 bits of the disk serial, but internally manipulates all the other parts of the input as if they had an affect on the result. (A few hundred runs of black box testing would likely provide different hash values, so the tester might very easily overlook the problem.) It is very hard to prove this kind of entropy loss (especially if the uniform distribution gets only distorted), and it is even harder to distinguish bugs from malicious code. But, in any event, with this code there are only a million different pseudorandom sequences the client SW can generate, and the first few entries let the server identify the effective seed.

You can make a detailed review of their code and you can audit assembly of the pre-built binary. But in practice you will not do it, because it's extremely tedious and takes enormous amount of time

It could and should be done by just one or a few trustworthy testers. You should reject SW that you (or a trustworthy tester) don't fully understand. In security, the SW must be very simple, modular and well commented. Open SSL, for example, does not fit into this category. Just look at the primality testing code. It takes weeks to fully understand that small piece alone. Thankfully, there are people I trust who did go through it line-by-line, but otherwise I would not recommend using it at all.