Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Why use AutoHotkey_L? Ask Questions Here...

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic
fischgeek
  • Moderators
  • 1074 posts
  • Last active: Jul 07 2015 06:27 PM
I just made the switch tonight with my home computer and I am loving all the new features. I am concerned though that when I decide to make the switch at work, all my scripts won't work and I'll have to re-write. :(

• Guests
  • Last active:
If you use the Ansi version there is nothing to change, if you use unicode and use COM and/or Dll calls you might have to - but nothing is stopping you from running both versions.

fischgeek
  • Moderators
  • 1074 posts

nothing is stopping you from running both versions.

:shock: What? How does that even work?

• Guests
  • Last active:
All you need to run a AutoHotkey script is .... AutoHotkey.exe and of course you can have as many Autohotkey.exe on your PC as you like, the latest installer even installs various versions, look in your AutoHotkey folder you'll see AutoHotkeyA32.exe, AutoHotkeyU32.exe which are - yes you guessed it - the Ansi & Unicode versions. See also <!-- m -->https://ahknet.autoh...tml#portability<!-- m -->

fischgeek
  • Moderators
  • 1074 posts
Forgive my ignorance, but I’m confused on how to get basic and _L to live in the same house. If I install _L on the same machine as basic and do something like this…
array := ["one","two","three"]
Msgbox, % array[2]
What will happen?

On my home computer (_L) I see "two."
On my work computer (basic) I see nothing.

How do I tell a script to use _L for one script, but basic for another?

• Guests
  • Last active:
You could for example use .ahkl your AutoHotkey_L scripts and link that to AutoHotkey_L.exe (not the correct name of course) - here is a batch file that could set it up for you <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.autohotkey.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=54134">viewtopic.php?t=54134</a><!-- l -->

There are many ways to do it, discussed many times on the forum.

fischgeek
  • Moderators
  • 1074 posts
Thanks for the link! That really helps me. I appreciate it.

since I am just making the switch now, I haven't really paid much attention to all the posts regarding _L. I did do a few searches on _L, but it's so mixed up now that it's difficult to know where to post questions. It took my quite a while to even locate this thread to ask the question. :?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks again!

fischgeek
  • Moderators
  • 1074 posts
Okay, I can't get that to work. I installed _L on my computer and ran the batch file that majkinetor created. I then made two scripts:

; Test.ahkl
MsgBox, _L script.
; Test.ahk
MsgBox, basic script.

The Test.ahk script shows up as the original AutoHotkey icon (white page, red H) but, the _L script is a null file and won't open. What am I doing wrong?

fischgeek
  • Moderators
  • 1074 posts
Okay, so I used the built in Windows file association and associated all ".ahkl" with AutoHotkeyU32.exe and all ".ahk" with AutoHotkey.exe. Does that seem correct? Also, I use Scite4AutoHotkey. How can I make it so that my context menu has the same "Edit script" option as the .ahk files do for the .ahkl?