Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

HotKeyIt's default license

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
HotKeyIt
  • Moderators
  • 7439 posts
  • Last active: Jun 22 2016 09:14 PM
Unless marked otherwise, any original code (functions or any other scripts) I write and post or have written and posted in AutoHotkey forums may be considered public domain.

If parts are derived from scripts written by others, those parts may be copyright their respective authors.
I will attempt to identify such parts if they are present, typically with a name and/or URL.

ANY SCRIPT I ORIGINALLY WROTE ON AUTOHOTKEY FORUMS IS PROVIDED
"AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL MYSELF OR
CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

girlgamer
  • Moderators
  • 3263 posts
  • Last active: Feb 01 2015 09:49 AM
Very good idea. I like it. All code should come with a disclaimer. Even ours. Or.... maybe... especially ours.

The universe is a wondrous place! The faster you create unbreakable code, the faster the universe creates people that can break it. All scripting follows the rule Rule Of Twos -- 1) Good, 2) Fast 3) Cheap -- pick any Two.
I guarantee absolutely nothing about any code I provide except that it works in my machine. ●
MMO Fighter   KeyLooperDemo   Key Spammer   TinyClickRecorder  GGs Password Generator.ahk
For the newest version of AutoHotkey and some killer scripts go here.
Rock-on%20kitten.gif

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

Unless explicitly marked otherwise, any original script I write and post or have written and posted in these forums may be considered public domain. If parts are derived from scripts written by others, those parts may be copyright their respective authors. I will attempt to identify such parts if they are present, typically with a name and/or URL.

Note that my default copyright license (as above) does not apply to the license itself or anything else I post that isn't a script. Plagiarism isn't nice. (But go ahead and use it.)

HotKeyIt
  • Moderators
  • 7439 posts
Sorry Lexikos, I should have asked you :oops:
Thank You ;)

Learning one
  • Members
  • 1483 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2016 02:30 PM
Some people (not necessarily me) consider that term code includes both scripts and function libraries, and that terms scripts and function libraries are 2 separate things.
According to that consideration, your license, (that uses term script) does not apply on function libraries - like TT(). So the license for TT() is still unclear.

Maybe term code is more appropriate? Like

Unless marked otherwise, any original code I write and post or ....

Sorry for being so boring about that legal stuff. Just want to be sure...

HotKeyIt
  • Moderators
  • 7439 posts
Sure ;)

Learning one
  • Members
  • 1483 posts
You are very generous man HotKeyIt. The minimum that every AHK-er can do for you is to say: Thank you! :)

wooly_sammoth
  • Members
  • 644 posts
  • Last active: Jul 03 2013 08:08 PM
Thanks HotKeyIt.

I agree that it's a very good idea to have some form of license for the code posted here.

It got me thinking that this could be a possible addon for the new forum upgrade. Maybe have a selection of pre-loaded licenses that users could choose from.

I'll raise it in the proper thread and see what everyone thinks.

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

According to that consideration, your license, (that uses term script) does not apply on function libraries - like TT().

According to the documentation,

Each script is a plain text file containing lines to be executed by the program (AutoHotkey.exe).

... and these are function libraries:
%A_ScriptDir%\Lib\  ; Local library - requires AHK_L 42+.
%A_MyDocuments%\AutoHotkey\Lib\  ; User library.
path-to-the-currently-running-AutoHotkey.exe\Lib\  ; Standard library.
It also uses the terms "library file" and "library function".

HotKeyIt's new wording, "(functions or any other scripts)", also implies that functions are scripts.

Learning one
  • Members
  • 1483 posts
Nice to hear another opinion. That's why I wrote: Some people (not necessarily me) consider ... - it was consideration from my colleague.
But despite of statement from documentation, for being undoubted reasons, I think it's better (safer in legal sense) to use term code. Of course, there are pro and contra arguments for any opinion...
Anyway, the scope of the "license" is clear now, and that is what is most important. :D