Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

A handy use for Window Spy

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic
planetthoughtful
  • Members
  • 28 posts
  • Last active: Nov 24 2012 07:16 AM
Hi All,

It may be this is a generally known tip etc, but I thought it was useful enough to pass along.

If you've installed an app or an addon / plugin that doesn't behave properly and puts up an error dialog, and you want to email the developer(s) about it, instead of painstakingly typing out the error message in your email (because you can't select and copy text in error dialogs - I've actually emailed Microsoft to suggest this in future OSes), fire up Window Spy and use it to grab the text from the dialog to copy and paste into your email.

May not save many all that much time, but has saved me from the annoyance of typing out error messages more than a couple of times.

Much warmth,

planetthoughtful
---
"Lost in thought"
http://www.planetthoughtful.org

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM
You could also take a screenshot of the error message :p

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:
In some cases a simple push of the Print-Button will capture the text of an error message to the clipboard - to be pasted to whatever target afterwards. 8)

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM
Cool, I never knew that..

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

planetthoughtful
  • Members
  • 28 posts

You could also take a screenshot of the error message :p

Not a bad suggestion, but where the developer just has a web site form as a contact method, may not be the desired solution.

Much warmth,

planetthoughtful
---
"Lost in thought"

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
The screenshot is quite heavy, even more as most users doesn't know that they should reduce the number of colors to avoid to send million of colors uncompressed bitmats (often inserted in a Word document because they don't know what to make to the copy...).

Note that the content of most system made message boxes (like those produced by AHK's MsgBox) can be copied with a simple Ctrl+C. A trick that Chris gives in the MsgBox manual page.

BoBo, are you sure of the trick you gave? It doesn't work for Win98. Neither my Ctrl+C one...
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

planetthoughtful
  • Members
  • 28 posts
Ah! That's even better! Damnit, I can't believe I've lived this long as a so-called 'computer expert' without knowing that tip!

Mamma would not be proud.

Much warmth,

planetthoughtful
---
"Lost in thought"

ParanoidX
  • Members
  • 148 posts
  • Last active: Jan 14 2007 02:00 AM

You could also take a screenshot of the error message

@BoBo, I tried it with a couple of dialogs etc.. but I can't get it to work. Could you tell me which app/error msg/dialog you got it to grab the text from Prnt-Scrn?

I am simply curious at how the internal function works esp under what condition before the text is captured.
Posted Image
546F206C69766520
6973204368726973742C0D746F2064696520
6973206761696E2E0D285068696C20313A323129

andrewjohn81
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Last active: Jun 24 2010 05:54 PM
A nice little known shortcut is
Alt+PrintScreen

This will only capture the currently active window.

Print screen is a big waste for me because it captures 3200x1200 (2 monitors). When I learned of this shortcut I was extremely happy.

It doesn't always work for "sub-windows" or floating windows within an app.

TheIrishThug
  • Members
  • 419 posts
  • Last active: Jan 18 2012 02:51 PM

A nice little known shortcut is
Alt+PrintScreen

On another forum, there was a thread where a decent number of people learned of the existance of Alt+PrintScreen.
There was also a decent number of people that hadn't know that you could use PrintScreen on it's own to without pressing Alt.

danthecardman
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Last active: Oct 31 2007 08:06 PM
I got this tip out of CPU magazine. Whenever you get that error message dialog box, all you have to do is CTRL+C; then open any word processor and CTRL+V (no print screen hassle). However if you want a good free print screen tool that I use all the time, try Gadwin Print Screen.

Thalon
  • Members
  • 641 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2017 12:17 PM
Ctrl-C works for standard dialogs very well.
But there are some they don't accept this. In most of this cases AU3-Spy can catch the text very well.
For all other dialogs I'm using FastStone Capture (free for non-commercial usage).

tonne
  • Members
  • 1654 posts
  • Last active: May 06 2014 06:22 PM
FastStone Captura is no longer freeware...

Alan Stancliff
  • Members
  • 58 posts
  • Last active: Nov 18 2019 09:25 AM

Here's how to save a very small-sized GIF of the dialog box with no extra software and with very little time and effort.
[*:iczft6hq]Do a print screen. This copies your monitor content, including an image of the text message into the clipboard
[*:iczft6hq]Open PAINT, the little utility present in every version of Windows
[*:iczft6hq]Paste contents of clipboard into PAINT (). Paint automatically selects the entire image, and the select button is activated.
[*:iczft6hq]Click the ERASE key. One clunky think about PAINT is that pasting something into a new document screen automatically selects the entire image and activates the SELECT tool by default. You want to deselect the image and activate the SELECT tool anew.
[*:iczft6hq]So click the SELECT tool again and select just the portion of the image with the text message.
[*:iczft6hq]Hit , copying just the part of the image with the text message to the clipboard.
[*:iczft6hq]Go to FILE, click NEW. Click NO if prompted to save image. You will have a new blank PAINT document.
[*:iczft6hq]Click on IMAGE, then ATTRIBUTES. A dialog will open asking what size the new image is. Put in a size much smaller than you need. Putting in 10 and 10 pixels will probably work.
[*:iczft6hq]Paste with . The screen enlarges to accommodate the new picture size. If prompted with message asking if you want to enlarge screen to accommodate message, say YES.
[*:iczft6hq]Click SAVE AS and save as GIF.That will get you a pretty small file with no extra software needed
Regards,

Alan Stancliff
My Web Site

Thalon
  • Members
  • 641 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2017 12:17 PM

Oh, I didn't have a look at this. But you are right. Latest version is time-limited shareware :(

So I'll try PrintScreen too. I do still have the setups for FSC, but I'm open-minded :)

Edit: The Gadwin PrintScreen-Utility has one nice feature I really like. If you set the capture-mode to rectangle area you can move the border after drawing it. You have to submit the capture with the right-mouse-button.
I've often to capture something exactly and also with preview it is often hard to do it exact at one pixel.
But FS ist still my favorite, because of it's higher feature-set. I can send my last free setup to interested parties (some 4.x-version, actual is 5.x).

Thalon