Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

Notepad replacement.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic
LarryC
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Another notepad replacement. Most of you probably have reviewed this already.
Simple but also has 120+ command line parameters. Plugins include spellcheck, keyboard sounds,
sort text lines, reverse order of text lines, syntax making. Choice of saving to Reg or ini.
http://sourceforge.n...ojects/akelpad/

tomriddle
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Jun 01 2012 03:18 PM
Ahh I saw this thread and knew I had to comment on it. I used to use Notepad++ but ages, but, then a friend showed me SublimeText 2. It's the best text/code editor I've ever used and I'm pretty sure nothing can beat it. You should check it out. AkelPad doesn't look too bad but, Sublime Text beats it in my opinion ;P

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
  • Last active: Nov 12 2012 08:51 PM

Ahh I saw this thread and knew I had to comment on it. I used to use Notepad++ but ages, but, then a friend showed me SublimeText 2. It's the best text/code editor I've ever used and I'm pretty sure nothing can beat it. You should check it out. AkelPad doesn't look too bad but, Sublime Text beats it in my opinion ;P

+1
Sublime is indeed very good. Doesn't mean there aren't a thing or two I would improve about it, but in many regards it's close to perfect.

• Guests
  • Last active:
The thing that annoys me (when I tried last year) was that I couldn't find a way to get the find/replace dialog to move away from the bottom of the screen/window. I do a lot of find/replace and I find it annoying to look down so often, I rather have a floating window popup where I want it or in the center of the screen. The edit text in multiple places at once is very nice. Gedit (open source) has that too if you activate the plugin for it.

ErrorOnLine1
  • Guests
  • Last active:
@LarryC

There is no replacement for NotePad. You have embarked upon a journey of futility. Would you expect to find a replacement for the Taj Mahal, Shakira's hips, or Mona Lisa's smile?

Of course not.

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM
whats so good about Sublime in comparison to Notepad++?

mKnight
  • Members
  • 28 posts
  • Last active: Aug 19 2014 08:44 AM
I do have heard of Sublime Text especially its zencoding feature in writing htmls, but AFAIK Sublime doesn't have a native support for AHK, could someone plz share me your AHk config so I can also enjoy it when writing AHKs??

Thanks in advance..

• Guests
  • Last active:
@mKnight: see <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.autohotkey.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=307046#p307046">viewtopic.php?p=307046#p307046</a><!-- l --> and a few posts below that for more...

• Guests
  • Last active:
I like AkelPad,more small size,more fast.

LarryC
  • Guests
  • Last active:
tomriddle may have missed the point. He recommends Sublime which has an exe size of 3,899,000. A stretch to categorize with Notepad.exe size of 68,000. Even AkelPad exe size of 362,000 is big for a Notepad replacement. I like AkelPad because it is fast, versatile, and with its command line and internal command options permits it to be used in some cases in lieu of AHK's GUI command. Do not always have to re-invent the wheel.

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
LarryC, how are file sizes in that area even relevant? If it were more than 100MB maybe, but below? Computers have enough power by now to make this comparison irrelevant.

gamax92
  • Members
  • 411 posts
  • Last active: Aug 06 2013 05:00 AM
Since everyone is being offtopic:

I've used Akelpad for a long time, its a really nice lite program. I like it because its a small program, and that it doesn't have all these extra features that I would probably never use.
It has the capablility as well for executing a program with the current program that is being edited.
The option to change the file encoding is also nice for switching back and forth between the Unicode AHK and Ansi AHK.

I haven't explored many of the options so there is probably many more features available.

You may not think that space is important, but not everyone has a 2TB drive to install everything on, though I dissagree that 362KBs is big. Thats just exaggerating.

LarryC
  • Guests
  • Last active:
fragman wrote:

how are file sizes in that area even relevant?

I must be mistaken, I have always assumed the larger the exe, the more capable, the more features, the more useful, the more choices, resulting in being bloated, slower and less agile. But not the first time I have been wrong.

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
That depends on many factors. Usually it's easier to judge it by your own perception than by file sizes or memory usage ;)

gamax92
  • Members
  • 411 posts
  • Last active: Aug 06 2013 05:00 AM
Msgbox, Hi
ExitApp

Bloat =
(
PADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGX
PADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGXPADDINGX
)
/offtopic

I also just found out that AkelPad can edit more than one document at a time with its multi window mode. NICE ...