Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Recommended Icon Editors?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic
hurricanedavid
  • Members
  • 77 posts
  • Last active: Aug 14 2008 06:14 PM
I know there have got to be some free icon editors out there that you folks are using.

I have LiquidIcon and it's great... as long as you are creating icons from scratch. If you open one in it, and try to save it, the icon is all black.

What I like to do is take an existing icon that i find and alter it. IrfanView can save as an icon file, but I can't modify the image that much before the save.

:?: What do you guys use?

Again, I'm hoping for a free one.

• Guests
  • Last active:
I too have similar need!

I use Icon Collector.. http://www.softwarec...com/updates.htm

- I extract an Icon and save it as a BMP
- Manipulate it in an Image editor then reduce the color depth to 256 colors
- Save it again & rename it from Filename.bmp to Filename.ICO

I was used to Microangelo but altering existing Icon was never satisfactory!

Regards, :)

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
Perhaps more a topic for Utilities & Resources, but this can be argued...
Anyway, I didn't found so much good free icon editors...
I used to use PCMag's one, in times where their utilities were free, but now you have to subscribe to get them.
I settled for SnIco Edit 2, which is fine.
Hey, a new version! [Update as it seems to correct some problems...]
It has quirks, some has been corrected, others has been introduced...
But well, it is nice and works well enough.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

Serenity
  • Members
  • 1271 posts
  • Last active:
I use this Photoshop plugin for making icons and @icon sushi for making icl files.

I have LiquidIcon and it's great... as long as you are creating icons from scratch. If you open one in it, and try to save it, the icon is all black.

I had this problem on XP so I downloaded the other version (can't remember which build) which works fine.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West
Posted Image

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:
Dear PhiLho, :)

SnIco Edit 2 is nice ... Thanks!

kWo4Lk1.png

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
Another editor I downloaded, but didn't used much: AWicons Pro (Lite version, which is free). I should retest it.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM
Stardock IconDeveloper (DeviantArt approved too).

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts

Stardock IconDeveloper (DeviantArt approved too).

Did you tried it?
I just did. And uninstalled it quickly...

1) This is no an icon editor! Perhaps an icon manager, but to edit an icon, it calls an external program... (MS Paint by default!)

2) The installation is mandatory, the file is ~2.4MB. SnIco Edit is ~1MB, no installation needed.
Even worse, it installs itself in the Program menu, in the user section (not All users section), without even asking. I hate that!

3) It is more or less a trial version - free with limited features, but reminder of purchasing the full version when exiting.

Note that AWicon Lite suffers some of these problems: big install file, limited version, goes to user section (but asks if I want to put it in a sub-folder, that's better).

OK, I am testing right now. It supports many languages.
Nice interface, a bit loud... (heavily skinned, can parametrize skin)
OK, it seems to have lot of capabilities, like doing operations available to million of color mode (transparency, blur...) on icons with limited number of colors, downgrading the result.
I think I will keep both applications, as they may be complimentary.

scriptmonkey
  • Members
  • 176 posts
  • Last active: Jan 08 2015 07:42 PM
Does SnIco Edit put anything in the registry? Seems like a nice portable app for my flash drive.

For those who need an Icon extractor, this program is great.

http://www.nirsoft.n...s/iconsext.html

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts

Does SnIco Edit put anything in the registry? Seems like a nice portable app for my flash drive.

There is an ini file in the same directory as the program. I just ran SnIco Edit with Regmon running, it seems just to read the registry (actually, probably by using some Windows API functions), not to write config. data or something else.

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:

There is an ini file in the same directory as the program. I just ran SnIco Edit with Regmon running, it seems just to read the registry (actually, probably by using some Windows API functions), not to write config. data or something else.

Dear PhiLho, :)

SnIco has associated itself with extension .ICO when I ran it first time! This is an annoyance since .ICO files are displayed with SnIco's Icon. (before it was the actual Icon itself.

But let me say again that SnIco is excellent and very useful to me.

kWo4Lk1.png

AbsolutePressure
  • Members
  • 31 posts
  • Last active: Sep 25 2008 11:17 PM
I am kinda old school and use Microangelo. It does seem to have a few bugs and I'm your you guys use better applications, but I have used it for so long. I guess I become numb to the bugs, and avoiding them.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
Microangelo is great, from the reviews I saw, but unlike most of the other utilities mentioned here, it is shareware... (AFAIK).

joexx
  • Guests
  • Last active:
No freeware, but ready for Vista: Axialis IconWorkshop
http://www.axialis.com/iconworkshop/

• Guests
  • Last active:
IconEdit32
IconEdit32 is available for free from PC Magazine. PC Magazine's free software is copyrighted and may not be distributed by others.