Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Forum Improvements

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic
Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Some forum improvements have been made; thanks to all of you who suggested these great ideas:[*:36mp81o0]Added RSS for both English and German forums (sorry it took so long). If you're using an RSS-aware browser like Firefox, it should display an RSS icon in the address bar. For other RSS software, the URLs are:
[*:36mp81o0]English: http://www.autohotke...m/forum/rss.php
[*:36mp81o0]German: http://de.autohotkey.com/forum/rss.php[*:36mp81o0]Pre-focused fields on the following forms: Reply, New-Topic, Private Message, and Search. This cuts down on the number of mouse clicks you have to do before typing.
[*:36mp81o0]Improved Search Form: It now defaults ALL rather than ANY (which seems far more popular). There's also a new option to search titles only.
[*:36mp81o0]The "font color" option can now be used in [code=auto:0] sections, which is useful to bring attention to certain words or lines.
[*:36mp81o0]The inability to post messages containing chr(any number) has been fixed (it's apparently a server-specific issue).
[*:36mp81o0]There is a link on the forum's main page to revert to your prior visit(s). This allows you to visit the forum briefly to read private messages, etc. Then you can come back hours/days later and click the "revert" link to so that features like "View posts since last visit" will ignore that brief visit. This feature remembers your two previous visit dates; that is, you can click the link twice before it disappears (until your next visit).[/list]By the way, perhaps a German speaker could provide a better translation for the following:
English: revert to prior visit
German (crude): schalten Sie zum vorhergehenden Besuch um

More suggestions for the forum are welcome (though I prefer simple ones because these mods have to be researched, discovered, or written from scratch).

Thanks.

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts
  • Last active: Nov 01 2014 03:23 PM

FeedReader

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM

Improved Search Form: It now defaults ALL rather than ANY (which seems far more popular). There's also a new option to search titles only.

YES! I asked it several times, and I immediately noticed the improvement. I wanted to thank you, that's the opportunity! The ALL default will give much improved results, because newbies are used to Google behavior (this one) and if they forget to set it, they are soaked with too much results...

The "font color" option can now be used in [code=auto:0] sections, which is useful to bring attention to certain words or lines.

Excellent, very useful!

The inability to post messages containing chr(any number) has been fixed (it's apparently a server-specific issue).

Thanks again, it was annoying (and a recent problem, I think).

The other improvements are welcome too.
Thanks for your work.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2019 07:41 AM
very good.
Posted Image

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
Oh, for Firefox users, there is another improvement I use: with the GreaseMonkey extension, which allow to change Web pages on the fly, I use a script named "PHPBB Redirect Remover" (found on UserScripts.org, there are other phpBB related scripts there).
So when I click Submit in the Reply page, I don't get that silly page that makes me clicking to or waiting for the updated topic.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
You can do that with Opera also, witch is much much faster then FF. U can set per page if you want javascripts, custom javascripts, cookies, anything.
Posted Image

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM
Great improvements! Code colouring and RSS are especially useful, thanks.

PhiLho, I also find the redirection page annoying. I think it should be totally removed because you get to see your message anyway.

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

AGU
  • Guests
  • Last active:

By the way, perhaps a German speaker could provide a better translation for the following:

I would say:

English: revert to prior visit
German: Auf letzten Besuch zurücksetzen

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM
These features would also be beneficial:

[*:1s0yzsae]Allow formatting in code blocks, e.g.
[b]bold[/b] / [i]italic[/i] / [u]underlined[/u] / [url=www.google.com]URL[/url] / [size=9]small font[/size]
[*:1s0yzsae]Automatic conversion of all command names to their docs reference

MsgBox -> MsgBox

I guess I'm taking advantage of the updates, but I really think the first one is worth having.

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks AGU for the translation. I've applied it.

Concerning the redirect page that appears after you post a message, I wonder if anyone likes it. Although it may have some value as a confirmation page, it's probably not enough to offset the annoyance of its delay. Perhaps a poll is in order.

Allow formatting in code blocks, e.g.

[b]bold[/b] / [i]italic[/i] / [u]underlined[/u]

I can see where that would be nice, though there may be some drawbacks:
1) I haven't seen a mod exactly like this, so would have to find one or research how to write one.
2) It might create too much ambiguity in code sections. For example, if a posted script contains a formatting symbol anywhere (even inside a quoted/literal string), it might be misinterpreted by the forum and mess up the post. In other words, people tend to expect that a code section is like
 in that it preserves exactly what gets pasted into it. If that becomes too uncertain, it might detract too much from it.

Automatic conversion of all command names to their docs reference

MsgBox -> MsgBox

Although that has a high coolness factor, I wonder if it would begin to become annoying. Clearly it would be great for new users, but frequent visitors might start to get eye-strain from it. But since I'm far from certain of that, I'm definitely adding this to the forum to-do list.

Thanks for the ideas.

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts

Automatic conversion of all command names to their docs reference

I think this is excellent idea. You can make this optional via profile if you are concerned about annoyance.
Posted Image

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts

These features would also be beneficial:

[list][*]Allow formatting in code blocks [...] URL / small font[/code]

NO!
Code blocks are designed to be copied/pasted and to use a fixed font.
URL is hidding information (the URL...), and size changes will break formatting. The color and styles changes are OK, thought.

It is just a vague project in my mind, but it would be cool to have special code blocks doing syntax highlighting of AutoHotkey code...
I have already downloaded a phpBB module doing PHP syntax coloring. It is "cheating", using a built-in function of PHP doing just that... But at least, it provides a framework, I "just" have to do the engine...
Vaporware! Don't expect it soon, I just have around 101 other projects to work on in the meanwhile. :-P

Micha
  • Members
  • 539 posts
  • Last active: Dec 31 2011 01:43 PM
Hi,
superb. I'm looking forward to use it.....

At another thread we discussed to add the links
View previous topic :: View next topic
at the end of the page.
If you have read the thread you have to scroll up (or press home) to see the links at the top of the page.

I would like to see this 3 lines changed in the php-code :-)

Ciao
Micha

AGU
  • Guests
  • Last active:

It is just a vague project in my mind, but it would be cool to have special code blocks doing syntax highlighting of AutoHotkey code...
I have already downloaded a phpBB module doing PHP syntax coloring. It is "cheating", using a built-in function of PHP doing just that... But at least, it provides a framework, I "just" have to do the engine...

I proposed s.th like this some times ago:
:arrow: Syntaxhighlighter for AHK Code for phpbb

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

At another thread we discussed to add the links
View previous topic :: View next topic
at the end of the page.

Perhaps, but it's my impression that next/prev aren't as heavily used as other navigation links. One reason may be that next/prev don't take you directly to the latest post in a given topic like the other nav methods do. Another consideration is page-clutter: the more links that appear on a page, the harder it is to find things.

Perhaps we could have a poll to decide. Feel free to start one if you feel like it.