Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Forum Improvements

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic
MsgBox
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hello PhiLho

The tabs I mention are the tab chars (Chr(9)), which I use to indent lines. HTML doesn't handle them correctly, so phpBB converts them to three spaces, and that's what you get when you copy the code.

Ah!... thanks for clarifying.

Why my method is worse than drag selecting?

Again "IMHO"

select the first character (or line, etc.) of the code, scroll down to the end of the code (using the scrollbar, of course), Shift+click after the last character of the code.

Three separate actions as opposed to one clickdrag to ME seems quicker. It even takes longer to write yours out than it does mine. :lol:

Dragging is slower (you have to rely on the speed chosen by the browser to scroll while dragging)

True, just dragging can be slow, but when the cursor gets to the bottom of the window, if you give it a little "wiggle" from side to side it speeds up the scrolling. :) Also, while dragging, pressing PageDown speeds things up.

(you get bored and let the scrolling go too far, thus has to drag back), plus you have to wait with mouse button down, which is tiring (continuing on the lazy side...)

So YOU get bored and let the scrolling go too far do you?
Maybe you should ask Chris to put a button on the code box too.... ;) :lol:

I think that we have both given good reasons why a button (if possible) would save time and at the same time be convenient. :)

AGU
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hi Chris,

just stepped across this notification when posting more than 3 pics within a posting.

Bitte Presse ABSENDEN wieder, zum dieses zu bestätigen ist nicht Spam.

Well it's a bad translation saying "press send again, to confirm it's not spam.

I would better say: Bitte erneut Absenden um Spamverdacht auszuräumen.

AGU
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Forgot to mention I meant the notification within the german forum. :oops: :D

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks for the improved translation. I'll apply it soon.

Concerning [code=auto:0] sections, the approach I'm most in favor of is having a new type of code section that displays the code in a scrollable textarea (i.e. a read-only Edit control). Some other types of forums do this and it seems to make make long scripts more manageable when posted.

I've checked for mods that do this but I haven't yet found anything I'm comfortable with. I might just wait until phpBB 3.x and then try modifying that instead of spending a lot of time on 2.x.

Thanks for the ideas.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM

Concerning [code=auto:0] sections, the approach I'm most in favor of is having a new type of code section that displays the code in a scrollable textarea (i.e. a read-only Edit control). Some other types of forums do this and it seems to make make long scripts more manageable when posted.

This has advantages, like having to scroll less to go past long listings, perhaps using Ctrl+A to select the whole code, perhaps preserving the tabs (depending on the implementation, using textarea or iframe or pure CSS, etc.).
But, if using the textarea, it would be awful (tabs too big, no coloring), in all cases we loose the facility to read easily the code, and depending on browsers, the printing can be truncated...
So I don't know if I really want this change...
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

Micha
  • Members
  • 539 posts
  • Last active: Dec 31 2011 01:43 PM

This has advantages, like having to scroll less to go past long listings, perhaps using Ctrl+A to select the whole code, perhaps preserving the tabs (depending on the implementation, using textarea or iframe or pure CSS, etc.).
But, if using the textarea, it would be awful (tabs too big, no coloring), in all cases we loose the facility to read easily the code, and depending on browsers, the printing can be truncated...
So I don't know if I really want this change...

I have the same concerns. If it's possible, this could be configured in the user-settings, so every user can choose.
The default could be the "new" style, and if people don't like it, they can change it.
When posting, you use the "code" tag, which is replaced by the style we know or it is replaced by a listbox.
Ciao
Micha

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks for pointing out those drawbacks; I wasn't aware of them. It's disappointing that HTML is so limited in these areas (such as the inability to have a custom tabstop width in PRE and TextArea). So it's probably best to keep the current setup until something clearly superior comes along. Alternatively, the new format/method could be offered as a code2 section so that the original is undisturbed.

Thalon
  • Members
  • 641 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2017 12:17 PM
I have a little question depending the "New posts"-function of the forum.
Since some time I will not get the full list of new posts in this forum.
I have a little theorie:
+ It did never occure before the German forum was moved to de.autohotkey..
+ Could it be that I am virtually automatically logged in into this forum here if I visit the german-forum? (so if I do not visit them at the same time I would lose all new posts in the english forum)

I have to check all my posts manually if I want to get shure not to miss something. :(

Thalon

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Do you mean that you see the correct number of new topics in "view posts since last visit" but that some of those topics' red icons ("view newest post") are missing? If so, it could indeed be a cookie problem because I think cookies control that. However, since both www.autohotkey.com and de.autohotkey.com appear to have separate cookies, there doesn't appear to be any overlap or conflict.

You could try deleting your cookies to see if that helps (though this will cause your auto-login to get forgotten until you set it back up). However, it is my understanding that the "view posts since last visit" feature is entirely server-side (in fact, I believe it's driven solely by the "you last visited" date, which is stored on the server), so it shouldn't be possible for your cookies (or anything else on your local PC) to affect how many topics you see as "new".

I just tried visiting the German forum and it appears to remember my "you last visited" date properly. In addition, "view posts since last visit" appears to work properly on both forums, even when visited simultaneously (I used MSIE for this test).

Has any other German user noticed strange behavior with "view posts since last visit" (or the red "view newest post" icons) when visiting both forums?

Thanks.

Thalon
  • Members
  • 641 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2017 12:17 PM
Today I lost all marks (yellow signs), but I was able to get them again by using the "revert"-possibility.

I'll try your idea with the cookies, maybe something got wrong with them...

Thalon

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

Can you please make the forum remember the last thread visited when logging in.
With this MOD it should be [easy]:Smart Log In Redirect

I'm sorry it too so long to apply this mod, but it's finally in. If you notice any problems with it, please let me know.

For those who don't know, the mod is designed to take you back to topic/page you were reading (if any) after you log in.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
Well, last time I checked, the biggest problem with phpBB is that when you log out, it marks all posts as read. So if there were 11 unread topics, next visit I wouldn't know which they were, more or less hidden by real new posts.
The (revert to prior visit) might not address this issue, if it reverts to the state when I logged in, not when I logged out. But perhaps I didn't understood its behavior.
So when I can, I usually log out only when all the forum icons are grey... :-)

So the mod above has little interest for me, even less as I always have three tabs open on the forum: the main page, the current section, and the current message. I open sections and messages with drag'n'drop of links...
I hope other users will find it more useful, and that it won't be an annoyance. Since I log out from the main page, I think it won't be on my way.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

Well, last time I checked, the biggest problem with phpBB is that when you log out, it marks all posts as read.

I think that's by design because the forum considers that when you leave, you've read everything up until that point in time.

The (revert to prior visit) might not address this issue, if it reverts to the state when I logged in, not when I logged out. But perhaps I didn't understood its behavior.

I think icon colors are controlled by a cookie (see next paragraph). By contrast, the "revert" link shown on the forum's front page changes things on the server to ignore your previous visit as though it never happened. In other words, the time you previously left the forum (where "leaving" is defined as the time of the last page you viewed) is removed from consideration. This causes your current visit to think you last visited at the time before the last time, and thus it will show you more items in "view posts since last visit".

So when I can, I usually log out only when all the forum icons are grey... :-)

I think you can reset the cookie that tracks which posts you've read by exiting all browser windows, coming back to the forum, then clicking the "revert to prior visit" link. There may be easier ways.

Since I log out from the main page, I think it won't be on my way.

You probably know that you don't need to explicitly log out (unless it's for security reasons).

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts

I think that's [mark all as read] by design because the forum considers that when you leave, you've read everything up until that point in time.

Indeed, but it would be better to have choice, either as setting in the profile or question asked when login out.
But that should be dicussed on the phpBB forum, not here. ;-)

(revert to prior visit)

Tried it this week-end, it logged me out and everything was marked as read when I logged in again. Perhaps a glitch on my side, but not very effective.

You probably know that you don't need to explicitly log out (unless it's for security reasons).

I know that I will be logged out after some time (3hrs or more?), but it would be worse, I think: all messages posted after I left and before I am logged out will be marked as read...

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

Tried [revert to prior visit] this week-end, it logged me out and everything was marked as read when I logged in again. Perhaps a glitch on my side, but not very effective.

It works well in MSIE, at least for me. However, its primary purpose is to change how many posts you see in "View posts since last visit". It doesn't directly change the icon colors of the posts you've already read (I believe only your cookies can do that). You could try deleting your cookies before you come back to the forum (this doesn't appear to be necessary in MSIE, but might be in other browsers).

I know that I will be logged out after some time (3hrs or more?), but it would be worse

The session timeout is currently set to 12 hours. It used to be a lot less than that, but over time I've increased it because it's a bummer when you get logged out after a good night's sleep. :)