Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

The future of the forum: Poll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
109 replies to this topic

Poll: The future of the forum: (103 member(s) have cast votes)

How should we proceed?

1. Keep everything like it is (3 votes [2.91%])

Percentage of vote: 2.91%

2. Migrate to a new server but (try to) get the domain "autohotkey.com" from Polyethene (73 votes [70.87%])

Percentage of vote: 70.87%

3. Migrate to a new server and use a new domain, but keep "AutoHotkey" as name (12 votes [11.65%])

Percentage of vote: 11.65%

4. Voted Migrate to a new server and re-brand AutoHotkey completely (12 votes [11.65%])

Percentage of vote: 11.65%

5. Other (please explain) (3 votes [2.91%])

Percentage of vote: 2.91%

Vote
Alibaba
  • Members
  • 435 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2014 04:21 PM

Please read this first!
(for German translation see below / für deutsche Übersetzung siehe unten)

Maybe you noticed, that the forum has several bugs. There are even some users, that can't use the forum in any way.
It would be possible to fix these bugs, but we have only one admin, "Polyethene", who owns the server and has access to it.
He's not interested in fixing those bugs, probably because he lost interest in AutoHotkey or because he's not earning money with it.

There already were several discussions about this issue and we tried to contact Polyethene often enough.
Now, there is no hope anymore, that Polyethene will change his mind and manage the forum.

If you want the bugs to get fixed, the community has to move, because if the forum is hosted on another server, we could change the system of forum administration.
With a more dynamic system and various admins with server level access, something like this should not happen again and the forum wouldn't be influenced by Polyethenes individual interests.

Because this would affect us all, the community first has to decide, what to do:

• Keep everything like it is
  • Migrate to a new server but (try to) get the domain "autohotkey.com" from Polyethene
  • Migrate to a new server and use a new domain, but keep "AutoHotkey" as name
  • Migrate to a new server and re-brand AutoHotkey completely
  • Other (please explain)

You can vote till October 14th, 2013.

Please keep in mind, that "Keep everything like it is" may be the most comfortable decision, but it won't change anything.
In this case, Poly would remain as single administrator with server access, thus the bugs would also stay the same.

Please vote!
Thanks!

German / Deutsch:
Vielleicht ist es euch bereits aufgefallen, dass es im Forum einige Fehler gibt. Manche Benutzer können das Forum gar nicht mehr verwenden.
Es wäre zwar möglich, diese Fehler zu beheben, allerdings haben wir nur einen Administrator, dem der Server gehört und der Zugriff hat, und zwar "Polyethene".
Er ist jedoch nicht daran interessiert, sich um die Behebung der Fehler zu kümmern, wahrscheinlich, weil er das Interesse an AutoHotkey verloren hat oder weil er damit kein Geld verdienen kann.
Falls du mehr darüber wissen möchtest, lies bitte diesen Post von Drainx1:
(ins Deutsche übersetzt)

Spoiler

Es gab bereits mehrere Diskussionen über dieses Thema und wir haben Polyethene oft genug versucht zu kontaktieren.
Nun gibt es keine Hoffnung mehr darauf, dass Polyethene irgendwann wieder die Verantwortung für das Forum übernehmen wird.

Wenn die Fehler behoben werden sollen, muss die Community umziehen, denn wenn das Forum auf einem anderem Server gehostet werden würde, könnte man das System der Forenadministration umstricken.
Mit einem dynamischerem System und mehreren Administratoren mit Zugriff auf den Server, würde etwas ähnliches nicht nocheinmal geschehen und das Forum wäre nicht mehr von Polyethenes persönlichen Interessen beeinflusst.

Da dies allerding alle Benutzer des Forums betreffen würde, muss zuerst die Community abstimmen.

Daher siehst du hier die Antwortmöglichkeiten auf Deutsch übersetzt:

• Alles so belassen, wie es ist
  • Auf einen neuen Server umziehen, allerdings die Domain "autohotkey.com" von Polyethene übernehmen (bzw. es "versuchen")
  • Auf einen neuen Server umziehen, eine neue Domain anschaffen, allerdings den Namen "AutoHotkey" übernehmen
  • Auf einen neuen Server umziehen und AutoHotkey komplett umbenennen
  • Andere Meinung (Bitte im Thread erklären)

Du kannst bis zum 11. Oktober 2013 abstimmen.

Bitte denkt daran, dass "Alles so belassen, wie es ist", zwar die bequemste Entscheidung ist, allerding auch nichts an den Problemen des Forums ändert.
In diesem Falle, würde Polyethene der einzige Administrator mit Serverzugang bleiben, womit auch die Fehler die gleichen bleiben würden.

Bitte stimme mit ab!
Danke!

Find the recent autohotkey version here: ahkscript.org

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM

#2 would be the best, most hopeful solution. But I've never been against the worse-case scenario, #4 (Atleast for AHKv2).

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

JadeDragon
  • Members
  • 935 posts
  • Last active: Jun 07 2014 07:40 AM
My thought would be to move to a new server but keep the name AutoHotkey. People already know that and it would save on confusion. Alternatively we should move and re-brand with a new name. That would be more trouble since AutoHotkey.net would have to be linked to the new brand. So move and keep the name would seem to be the best option. As it stands now for me the entire forum is corrupted and displays only an awkward, unfriendly texting interface. I love AutoHotkey but the forum has to be fixed if we want to keep the community intact. Unless you guys already have a specific forum software in mind there are two that might fit the bill for a new server -- FUDforum and MyBB.

Never assume evil intent when simple ignorance will suffice. Ignorance is an eventually curable condition with the right education. Evil intent, however, is another matter entirely. Scripts are much like children. Simple to conceive. Difficult, expensive, and time-consuming to raise. Often do the opposite of what you expect them to. Require frequent  "correction". And once they leave home you can't control them anymore. But you love them anyway.

Zaelia
  • Members
  • 754 posts
  • Last active: Jan 17 2015 02:38 AM

I guess we are all agree, that is why we need an "ultimatum", I suggest to wait one week the Poly answer. If the best option doesn't work, then go to the worse case... Time is important, else as usual nothing will be done...

"You annoy me, therefore I exist."

vahju
  • Members
  • 337 posts
  • Last active: Sep 21 2014 03:52 AM
I agree that we should go with option 2 but we should be prepared for more drastic measures. These forums have been around for a very long time but in its current state its probably loosing viewership.

Is there any chance someone can contact the original creator of Autohotkey Chris and see if he could assist with contacting Polyethene?
Maybe Chris can provide other options or who knows he might even have access as a deal he made with Polythene.

Hopefully this gets resolved amicably so that we can all go back to viewing the forums without all these work-arounds

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

This is the internet's version of a soap opera.  I can't wait to see what happens next!

Guest10
  • Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Last active: Oct 30 2015 05:12 PM
starting a few days ago, i noticed first the images/graphics were broken and now i can only access text only with no GUI, graphics, or icons, etc. all is broken and it is now essentially a text-based interface. and everything takes much longer to load. :(

Guest10
  • Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Last active: Oct 30 2015 05:12 PM

I guess we are all agree, that is why we need an "ultimatum", I suggest to wait one week the Poly answer. If the best option doesn't work, then go to the worse case... Time is important, else as usual nothing will be done...

all options on the table!

Seidenweber
  • Moderators
  • 638 posts
  • Last active: Sep 06 2015 01:51 PM

[x] Other

Talk to polyethene

• to fix the forum issues and
  • to get more server-resources (acceptable amount of server tasks and - if necessary - bandwith) and
  • to give adequate administration rights to a trusted person (e.g. Lexikos)

If that fails

• Talk to Lexikos, whether he is willing to manage the project and the forums on his own. Possibly on the basis of donations, if there can't be found a free solution.

If that fails

• Migrate to a new server with or without "our admins" assistance

All questions & answers are related to AHK 1.1.19.03 x64 Unicode

budRich
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Last active: Aug 03 2015 08:33 PM

I voted #4. Of-course the best solution is #2, but i doubt it will happen. And I guess that if #2 wins the poll, but it doesn't work out, you'll go with the next option. And it's MUCH better to re-brand, then to have two AutoHotkey sites, that would create more confusion and split the community even more then a name-change.

gwarble
  • Members
  • 624 posts
  • Last active: Aug 12 2016 07:49 PM
I lost interest when this was attempted over a year ago, and i hate to say i don't foresee cooperation between poly and the community ever happening...

I voted to rebrand just because i don't like the name, but any option that brings back a functioning community is fine with me

budRich
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Last active: Aug 03 2015 08:33 PM

I agree, AutoHotkey is not the best name. I've tried to talk many friends in to trying out ahk, but they all say something like: "I can remap my keys with the software logitech gave me when i bought this ugly keyboard."

SnowFlake_FlowSnake
  • Members
  • 845 posts
  • Last active: Jan 24 2016 05:24 PM
True AHK is a lot more than just remapping some keys
  • Download link of my scripts on Autohotkey.com 2/10/2015 [DOWNLAND]
  • Contact Info:  https://github.com/floowsnaake //  FloowSnaake(A)gmail.com
  • IF you need Help send me a PM,Email or Post on Github

• Quote by tank  Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:14 PM

• "Eventually i will find a way to convert the DB back to PHPBB3. but i dont have the bandwidth right now. No one that has tried has had success. It is the Only way i can keep this open is if i could successfully convert it."

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Nov 02 2019 08:38 PM
Whyyyyy poly! Whyyyyy!!?! :(
Why ahkscript.org? - autohotkey.com is outdated

Alibaba
  • Members
  • 435 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2014 04:21 PM

seems like poly was online and voted #1 ;)

Find the recent autohotkey version here: ahkscript.org