UX improvement Suggestion

Propose new features and changes
zorone

UX improvement Suggestion

12 Jun 2022, 11:50

This is my suggestion from what I have used this program for a day now.

1. I think using relative position as default is really weird. Why isn't using absolute as default? It really feels weird until I noticed that position is actually relative. And if I use multiple windows, its position value will not be the same. How am I supposed to manage it if it isn't consistent.

2. Windows Highlight is really troublesome. It needs to highlight first before being able to do anything in that windows. If it has some bypass mechanism should improve our life a lot.

3. I think that keyboard keys should be case-insensitive, and Uppercase should mean like Lowercase. Because it already has + as Shift. Also, when we tell someone how to do keystrokes, we do not say "control and upper N for open new windows", but "control shift N for open new windows". At least, please mention it in document.
If you were afraid you will break old codes, just add converting procedure in updating process. Or just run legacy mode if files were created before that update. Or have a legacy fallback if program didn't run correctly.

4. Maybe you should have a position dialog near mouse cursor, so it could be seen where your cursor mouse should click. Maybe it activates when opening the help manual, or opening a small program that comes from installing this software.

5. I have some idea for relative position. Maybe it shouldn't be a position. But the percentage of that windows instead. So it should be more consistent if you resize that windows.

Overall, I really happy with this program. Although it isn't perfect. But it is working great for my need. It just needs to be more simple, which doesn't need to.
boiler

Re: UX improvement Suggestion

12 Jun 2022, 12:21

zorone wrote: 1. I think using relative position as default is really weird. Why isn't using absolute as default? It really feels weird until I noticed that position is actually relative. And if I use multiple windows, its position value will not be the same. How am I supposed to manage it if it isn't consistent.
I'm answering because you asked why. It's actually absolute (screen) positioning that would not be consistent because the position values would be different if the window is in a different position on the screen. When using relative coordinates, the coordinates will always be relative to the upper-left corner of the active window no matter where it's positioned. If it's consistency you're looking for, it's hard to be more consistent than "always."

zorone wrote: 2. Windows Highlight is really troublesome. It needs to highlight first before being able to do anything in that windows. If it has some bypass mechanism should improve our life a lot.
What do you mean by "Windows Highlight"? Where is that term used, or what other term are you referring to when you say that?

zorone wrote: 4. Maybe you should have a position dialog near mouse cursor, so it could be seen where your cursor mouse should click. Maybe it activates when opening the help manual, or opening a small program that comes from installing this software.
Have you tried the Window Spy tool that gets installed with AutoHotkey?

zorone wrote: 5. I have some idea for relative position. Maybe it shouldn't be a position. But the percentage of that windows instead. So it should be more consistent if you resize that windows.
That actually wouldn't be more consistent across windows. The position of most items in most windows do not scale absolutely linearly (often not scaling at all) with the size of the window. Your browser window is a good example. Resize it and notice how many features are not in a new position and definitely not directly scaled based on the size of the window. It may be zero items that actually scale linearly with the size of the window. Perhaps it is true for some applications such as a game that gets rendered to fill whatever size the window is.

Return to “Wish List”