Option to terminate and restart thread when called again

Propose new features and changes
Aenfa

Option to terminate and restart thread when called again

Post by Aenfa » 08 Oct 2023, 14:00

I am livid that AutoHotkey doesn't include such a basic feature. One example is I have a script that dismisses an annoying dialogue that sometimes appears when switching monitor and it fails if I switch when the thread just happens to be almost at the end. The ONLY reliable way I have found that works is to have the code in a separate script that has #SingleInstance Force. This is inconvenient. I need the option to terminate and restart thread if it's called again while it's running. This bugbear is what makes AutoHotkey so unreliable for me in many cases. Having to have everything in separate scripts just to make it work reliably is stupid.

boiler

Re: Option to terminate and restart thread when called again

Post by boiler » 08 Oct 2023, 22:59

It's unbelievable that someone would be livid -- not surprised or disappointed, but livid -- that others have spent thousands of hours of their own time developing a programming language that is absolutely free to use, and it doesn't work exactly the way that that someone thinks it should. To tell them that it's stupid that it doesn't already work that way is quite a strange way to frame a wish list request.

arcylix

Post by arcylix » 12 Oct 2023, 10:41

Correct me if I'm wrong as I am still learning all the features and capabilities of AHK, but doesn't this behavior already exist in the form of return? I suppose one could even use Reload upon errors. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what the person is so LIVID about.

I know that when I'm trying to run hotkeys, I always have the return after some time has happened and I don't have the results that I want.

RussF

Post by RussF » 12 Oct 2023, 12:07

No one can say for sure what the problem is since the OP didn't post any code. My opinion is that this rant is the result of a poor understanding of AHK, poor code structure and even poorer debugging skills.

Does this absolutely free software have an occasional glitch. Sure, but then so does the Autodesk software that we pay $thousands per seat per year for. It happens.

Russ

guest3456

Post by guest3456 » 17 Oct 2023, 10:21

^this

post code and reproduceable example

Return to “Wish List”