Wish: Make GUI font size (e.g. Tooltip) responsive to HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Accessibility\TextScaleFactor

Propose new features and changes
bonobo

Wish: Make GUI font size (e.g. Tooltip) responsive to HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Accessibility\TextScaleFactor

Post by bonobo » 10 May 2024, 22:53

I'm referring to the "Make Text Size Bigger" accessibility setting in Windows 10, which corresponds to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Accessibility\TextScaleFactor

By default it is set to 100%, but some people find their screen text hard to see and prefer to set it to some higher value (between 100% and 200%). Note that the TextScaleFactor setting only affects font scaling. It has nothing to do with UI scaling or DPI.

On my machine, TextScaleFactor is set to 200%, as in the screenshot below:
image.png
image.png (49.14 KiB) Viewed 443 times
Among the apps I regularly use, my rough estimate is that about half of them adjust their UI text size based on TextScaleFactor, while the other half simply ignore it. Sometimes, within a single app, some aspects of UI are responsive to TextScaleFactor, while others are not.

Here's an example from System Informer. Note that the main UI and tooltip font size is responsive to TextScaleFactor, but the font size of some texts in the Options dialog is not.
image.png
image.png (794.28 KiB) Viewed 443 times

The same is true of Autohotkey (my version is 2.1-alpha.10). The MessageBox font size is responsive to TextScaleFactor, but the Tooltip is not:
image.png
image.png (81.22 KiB) Viewed 443 times
Would it be possible/easy to make Autohotkey Tooltip's font size responsive to the settings in HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Accessibility\TextScaleFactor?

Thanks!

lexikos

Re: Wish: Make GUI font size (e.g. Tooltip) responsive to HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Accessibility\TextScaleFactor

Post by lexikos » 15 May 2024, 06:14

ToolTip currently uses whatever default font Microsoft gave the ToolTip control. AutoHotkey does not set it. It would be possible, but would have to be opt-in somehow, as changes to default tooltip size could break some scripts.

GUI does not respond to TextScaleFactor at all as far as I can tell. I do not know what the appropriate API is, but I'm certain that reading the registry is not it.

I suggest making use of Class ToolTipOptions.

Return to “Wish List”