ahkv2 - include Ahk2Exe by default

Propose new features and changes

ahkv2 - include Ahk2Exe by default

25 Nov 2023, 04:45

Rather than being an additional download, it would be nice if Ahk2Exe was just included in the default installation of ahkv2. I think it's more convenient for the user, and is better for long term preservation.
TAC109

Re: ahkv2 - include Ahk2Exe by default

26 Nov 2023, 16:31

Ahk2Exe is included with version 1.1 of AutoHotkey and is written in that version of the language. If the user has both AutoHotkey v1.1 and v2 installed then Ahk2Exe is already installed. If the user has only AutoHotkey v2 installed, then on the first attempt to compile, the latest version of Ahk2Exe will be automatically downloaded and installed. In many cases the user does not require to compile scripts, so this arrangement ensures that unnecessary software is not included unless required.

Cheers
My scripts:-
XRef - Produces Cross Reference lists for scripts
ReClip - A Text Reformatting and Clip Management utility
ScriptGuard - Protects Compiled Scripts from Decompilation
I also maintain Ahk2Exe
neogna2

26 Nov 2023, 18:01

As for long term preservation, each AHK2Exe release with source code and SHA256 hashes is already available at https://github.com/AutoHotkey/Ahk2Exe/releases

27 Nov 2023, 06:30

Thank you both for your replies. Given that Ahk2Exe can be downloaded independently from ahk itself, perhaps if the user doesn't have an internet connection, they could be prompted to install it locally (if previously downloaded). Alternatively, maybe instructions on how to install it could be provided on github. I know Ahk2Exe could be launched from anywhere, but it wouldn't be launchable from the 'dash' unless copied to a specific location.
neogna2

27 Nov 2023, 16:53

There is some guidance in the AutoHotkey.chm documentation file and at https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v2/Scripts.htm#information
"The following folder structure is supported ..."

I now noticed that at https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v2/Scripts.htm#ahk2exe the documentation says "A script compiler ... is included with the program", which is incorrect if "the program" here refers to v2.

28 Nov 2023, 04:21

So, it appears the documentation is incorrect, or Ahk2Exe was intended to be included by default anyway (like v1).
TAC109

28 Nov 2023, 19:16

The documentation for v2 Ahk2Exe will be fixed soon. Thanks for bring this to my attention.

Cheers
My scripts:-
XRef - Produces Cross Reference lists for scripts
ReClip - A Text Reformatting and Clip Management utility
ScriptGuard - Protects Compiled Scripts from Decompilation
I also maintain Ahk2Exe

Return to “Wish List”