More useful search function please

Propose new features and changes
PuzzledGreatly

More useful search function please

08 Jan 2014, 21:59

It's nice to have a search bar at the top of the list of forum posts but could it be a bit more useful. For example, I just searched for "weblink" and it gave me no results but typing in"weblinks" did get results. I would expect it to find words within other words, so for example typing "script" would get "script", "scripted", "scripting" etc. It seems too much precision is required.
Alibaba

Re: More useful search function please

09 Jan 2014, 07:32

+1
"Nothing is quieter than a loaded gun." - Heinrich Heine
Morpheus

09 Jan 2014, 09:14

Weblink* works.
tank

09 Jan 2014, 09:27

Perhaps you mean we need a stemming algorithm there is a reason google became a billion dollar company on the back of its search algorithms. perhaps i should go a step further and then rank the results by Levenshtein distance to the origional terms. These sound like a great idea but to implement something that is actually so complex I would either need to hire a firm or get 100's of hours of volunteer work. and it would still be quite flawed. I am open to suggestions. but I dont think you grasp the complexity involved in the request. I am hoping that once i get SEO properly applied that i can get the google search to handle this better. Writing a custom search algorithm is well beyond the free time I have
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
PuzzledGreatly

09 Jan 2014, 09:48

I don't care about stemming or Levensgtein distance and I don't see why this is so difficult - seek by Pia, the example from the AHK help does it. I can't think if a search program I've used that doesn't do it. if term* works couldn't * be added automatically to save the user from doing it? Or perhaps something similar to sphider.
tank

09 Jan 2014, 10:02

then i invite you to download a copy of phpbb3 modify the necesary places and send them to [email protected]. in order to show me that i am wrong.
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter

Return to “Wish List”