[Request]: Official Library & Wrapper

Propose new features and changes
Chunjee

Re: [Request]: Official Library & Wrapper

06 Nov 2018, 06:25

iseahound wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 00:14
I really don't want a node_modules folder...
good news, yarn allows for a custom folder name:

Code: Select all

"scripts": {
        "newinstall": "yarn install --modules-folder ./lib"
    }

Next?
joedf

07 Nov 2018, 00:18

Yarn :O
Never used it, is it easy and fast?
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
nnnik

07 Nov 2018, 04:01

That only seems like a short term solution.
For long term solutions we need our own package manager.
Recommends AHK Studio
joedf

07 Nov 2018, 07:49

So nnnik, I can manually make an account for you on aspdm.ahkscript.org if you want to test it out :+1:
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Chunjee

07 Nov 2018, 07:54

nnnik wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 04:01
That only seems like a short term solution.
For long term solutions we need our own package manager.
I don't see the point in re-inventing the package manager wheel. I also highly doubt the likelihood of matching the quality and feature set of npm. That being said whatever works, I'm in favor of.

joedf wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 00:18
Yarn :O
Never used it, is it easy and fast?
Ultra Fast. It is faster than plain npm.
"Yarn caches every package it downloads so it never needs to download it again. It also parallelizes operations to maximize resource utilization"
nnnik

07 Nov 2018, 11:30

@joedf
yeah that would be good

@Chunjee
I never said that we cannot base our package manager on anything that currently exists.
Here is a list of things yarn won't be able to do:
  • install a package globally
  • dealing with forks and several AHK versions
  • find packages that are relevant for automating specific programs/websites and watching if these automation codes are still relevant
  • installing AHK specific development tools
  • managing preprocessors
Recommends AHK Studio
Chunjee

07 Nov 2018, 11:56

nnnik wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 11:30
  • find packages that are relevant for automating specific programs/websites and watching if these automation codes are still relevant
Hmm that sounds cool. Would love to see this with a web interface.
ahk7

07 Nov 2018, 13:51

If it isn't a AHK authored solution I'm not using it :-) not going install a node app (yuck) or chocolatey (double yuck) for what is essentially a simple "download and copy to folder" script. It is not the managing script but how to organise/setup the library portal what matters - the rest is fairly trivial.
iseahound

11 Nov 2018, 22:35

yes I also find that node and chocolatey lack the elegance of apt-get which I am perfectly fine with. pip is okay but I think the command is py-3 -m pip install <version 3 compatible python package> is annoying with version management between v2 and v3. (Since pip can refer to a v2 or v3 python module). Thank god v2.7 will be obsolete soon.
nnnik

12 Nov 2018, 01:42

If you only have one python version installed you can run the pip command directly though. Pip also seems to be the closest relative when it comes to the include structure.
Recommends AHK Studio
ahk7

12 May 2019, 09:14

GitHub Package Registry, a package management service that makes it easy to publish public or private packages next to your source code.

GitHub Package Registry is fully integrated with GitHub, so you can use the same search, browsing, and management tools to find and publish packages as you do for your repositories. You can also use the same user and team permissions to manage code and packages together. GitHub Package Registry provides fast, reliable downloads backed by GitHub’s global CDN. And it supports familiar package management tools: JavaScript (npm), Java (Maven), Ruby (RubyGems), .NET (NuGet), and Docker images, with more to come.

You can try GitHub Package Registry today in limited beta. It will always be free to use for open source—more pricing details will be announced soon.
Source https://github.blog/2019-05-10-introducing-github-package-registry/
:?:
hoppfrosch

13 May 2019, 00:38

ahk7 wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 13:51
If it isn't a AHK authored solution I'm not using it :-) not going install a node app (yuck) or chocolatey (double yuck) for what is essentially a simple "download and copy to folder" script. It is not the managing script but how to organise/setup the library portal what matters - the rest is fairly trivial.
ahk7 wrote:
12 May 2019, 09:14
GitHub Package Registry, a package management service that makes it easy to publish public or private packages next to your source code.

GitHub Package Registry is fully integrated with GitHub, so you can use the same search, browsing, and management tools to find and publish packages as you do for your repositories. You can also use the same user and team permissions to manage code and packages together. GitHub Package Registry provides fast, reliable downloads backed by GitHub’s global CDN. And it supports familiar package management tools: JavaScript (npm), Java (Maven), Ruby (RubyGems), .NET (NuGet), and Docker images, with more to come.

You can try GitHub Package Registry today in limited beta. It will always be free to use for open source—more pricing details will be announced soon.
Source https://github.blog/2019-05-10-introducing-github-package-registry/
:?:
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
ahk7

13 May 2019, 16:09

LOL - hence the :?:
I don't know what the GitHub Package Registry entails but perhaps there is a way to use it to combine AutoHotkey (installer) with some community approved (ahkscript at GH) packages.
joedf

27 May 2019, 21:39

So... we're going back to Github? :mrgreen:
sancarn

28 May 2019, 18:01

joedf wrote:
27 May 2019, 21:39
So... we're going back to Github? :mrgreen:
:thumbup:

For what it's worth I think Tanks suggestion is going to be the easiest and simplest to execute:

[
 {
   "Author": "Author",
   "Thread URL": "Thread URL",
   "GitHub Zip": " GitHub Zip"
 },
 {
   "Author": "Author",
   "Thread URL": "Thread URL",
   "GitHub Zip": " GitHub Zip"
 }
]
The schema could be extended at a later date. E.G. tags could be handy
joedf

29 May 2019, 18:46

I dont think we need to reinvent the wheel. I dunno... Let me know what you think... I want to integrate login from autohotkey.com to http://aspdm.ahkscript.org/ (or later http://aspdm.autohotkey.com/) but the web side stuff still needs improvement and I am not sure of security for now...

ASPDM works fine already https://github.com/ahkscript/ASPDM
with a specifications, etc. https://github.com/ahkscript/ASPDM/blob/master/Specifications/Database.md
https://github.com/ahkscript/ASPDM/blob/master/Local-Client/Test_Packages/isbinfile/package.json

I have a barebones Github "lister" I posted a while ago...
You can give it a try here: http://autohotkey.com/joe_df/ahklibr.zip
nnnik

30 May 2019, 00:53

You collected a lot of code in a repository in aspdm and then offered a static download to that.
That's a nice collection of scripts. It is completely unrelated to what a package manager is though.
Recommends AHK Studio
sancarn

30 May 2019, 02:53

nnnik wrote:
30 May 2019, 00:53
You collected a lot of code in a repository in aspdm and then offered a static download to that.
That's a nice collection of scripts. It is completely unrelated to what a package manager is though.
In all fairness this thread isn’t about a package manager. It’s about a standard library. I.E. A library that comes with AHK.
joedf

30 May 2019, 11:08

Oh boy, major confusion here my bad... :p
@nnnik You mean the old demo ahklibr script? aspdm follows the "npm" style, but uses a gui instead, also the website is underdeveloped...
@sancarn So we should choose what should be in a stdlib then maybe search for the best candidate scripts for each "section", eg. best suited string lib, math lib, io lib, etc?
sancarn

30 May 2019, 13:01

To be fair, on reflection, my comment was also in regards of a package manager. A package manager would be an ideal work around but it looks like the thread author was talking about a standard compiled set of existing scripts which work well as a package.

Unfortunately though I think most packages don’t follow a particular coding style, so it’d probably require a lot of work to rewrite code to fit a single style. E.G you don’t want a CSV package which uses old style pseudo arrays to be used in the same framework as the JSON package which uses OOP... So it may not be as simple as shoving many packages together... it’d really needs proper thought...

I.E. I believe the author was looking for a framework for AHK.

Something similar to this:

A_
|- COM
|  |- RegisterActiveObject
|  |- GetActiveObjects
|- NET
|  |- Socket
|  |- HTTP
Is what I imagine the thread author had in mind.

Return to “Wish List”