Period changed to accent

Report problems with documented functionality
Dunning

Period changed to accent

26 Jul 2016, 05:16

Running Unicode 64-bit AutoHotKey 1.1.24 under Windows 7, I am finding that certain simple phrases are corrupted when they are expanded. For example:

Code: Select all

:c*:;bl::bl.uk
This gives 'blụk' rather than the expected 'bl.uk'.
lexikos

Re: Period changed to accent

26 Jul 2016, 20:59

What happens if you physically type "bl.uk" using just those keystrokes? It looks like "." is a "dead key" on your keyboard layout, so physically pressing "." and then "u" will combine the two into "ụ" (I initially thought the dot was just dirt on my screen!). You can try different send modes (options SI, SP or SE), but they will probably all behave the same.

What happens if you Send "u or SendInput "u? (" is also a dead key on some keyboard layouts.)

What keyboard layout/input method/language are you using?
Dunning

28 Jul 2016, 04:10

That example gives me "u as expected.

The full stop is not a dead key on my keyboard, but I am using a custom layout imitating the US Extended/ABC Extended layout from the Mac (http://andrewdunning.ca/Mac-Keyboard-La ... r-Windows/) that has many things loaded onto AltGr (ụ is AltGr + x, u). If I switch to a layout without dead keys, the problem goes away, but of course that makes it rather difficult to type. Is that a known bug in AutoHotKey?
nnnik

28 Jul 2016, 05:04

Its a bug thats due to how Keyboards in Windows work.
There are a lot of bugs regarding the Alt+Gr Key.
Recommends AHK Studio
jNizM

28 Jul 2016, 05:43

yeah.. really buggy in Win 10..
sometimes I cannot use ALT-GR for an hour (for eg { [ ] }) with quertz keyboard and I need to use STRG + ALT
and after an hour it will operate normally
[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile
lexikos

28 Jul 2016, 21:18

I'm 99% certain that AutoHotkey is querying the system for "which key produces '.'?" and the system is returning the keycode of a dead key. If physically pressing the "." key does not have the same behaviour, perhaps it's a different virtual key. Please check KeyHistory after sending bl.uk, after Send % ". " and after physically pressing the key, and compare the key codes.

If multiple keycodes map to a single character, AutoHotkey will use whichever one is returned by the system. If that's a problem you can work around it by using {U+xxxxx} (where xxxxx is a hexadecimal Unicode character code without 0x prefix) or {vkNN} where NN is the correct virtual keycode.
Dunning

29 Jul 2016, 09:39

That's very strange; yes, the key history records it as sending RAlt, x, x. Using {U+2E} instead of an actual period in the script makes it work. Many thanks!

Return to “Bug Reports”