Buggy Help (chm) file of AHK 1.1.30

Report problems with documented functionality
m33mt33n

Buggy Help (chm) file of AHK 1.1.30

09 Sep 2018, 06:36

Hi,

After installing latest ahk 1.1.30, when I open help file found it very buggy.

1- Consuming very high amount of memory.
2- Search tab not working for queries with spaces in them, error message "object doesn't supper this property or method".
3- Input box behaves strangely and very slow.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks
Ragnar

Re: Buggy Help (chm) file of AHK 1.1.30

09 Sep 2018, 13:10

For users of Windows XP and/or a low-end PC it is recommended to use the old sidebar by following the steps mentioned here.

The error message only appears on Windows XP (or on a system with IE8), but can probably be fixed. I'll see what I can do.
Alguimist

11 Sep 2018, 04:20

The help file with the classic style sidebar is included with AutoGUI.
Scoox

28 Jan 2019, 19:05

I have also encountered a problem with the new help file: the Ctrl+F text search box misses characters when typing very fast, so for example if I type "hidden" only "hiddn" or "hidde" is registered. Has anyone else noticed this?
Scoox

28 Jan 2019, 19:13

I like the new help UI but there's one thing which was definitely better in the old help.

First, a bit of background. I have configured my new help file to select the Index tab when it starts (Gear icon > Selected Tab = Index). In the old help there was no such setting—it would simply remember the last selected tab. That's not the issue though, and I prefer the way the new help provides a setting. The issue is that in the old help would pre-focus the Index search box on start, ready for users to type into. In the new help, the index search box is not pre-focused and requires users to click it before they can actually start searching. Alternative, one press of the Tab key focuses the search box, too. In any case, it's still extra work for no gain. I wish this could be improved, thanks!
Ragnar

29 Jan 2019, 05:29

Scoox wrote: I have also encountered a problem with the new help file: the Ctrl+F text search box misses characters when typing very fast, so for example if I type "hidden" only "hiddn" or "hidde" is registered. Has anyone else noticed this?
No, I couldn't reproduce this issue (tested on Win10/IE11 and WinXP/IE8).
Scoox wrote: the index search box is not pre-focused and requires users to click it before they can actually start searching.
This will be fixed. It seems to be only an issue for IE/CHM and Edge.
Scoox

29 Jan 2019, 05:35

Ragnar wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 05:29
Scoox wrote: I have also encountered a problem with the new help file: the Ctrl+F text search box misses characters when typing very fast, so for example if I type "hidden" only "hiddn" or "hidde" is registered. Has anyone else noticed this?
No, I couldn't reproduce this issue (tested on Win10/IE11 and WinXP/IE8).
Scoox wrote: the index search box is not pre-focused and requires users to click it before they can actually start searching.
This will be fixed. It seems to be only an issue for IE/CHM and Edge.
Excellent! Regarding the missed characters, I have no idea what could be causing it but it's real. For me it only happens with the pop-up search box, if I search the index no the left hand side it works fine. Will keep an eye on this in case I notice something else that might shed light on the issue. Cheers
0x00

19 Mar 2019, 08:11

Ragnar wrote:
@Ragnar, I appreciate the legacy chm recompilation instructions in the first page,that's what I've resorted to using, BUT, is it at all possible to at least remove script errors from the new chm,I don't quite mind the first run lag or the elevated CPU usage, but getting a script error on pretty much every run ought to bee fixed. And yes i do mostly run help using rajat's Intellisense,so that might be it,but that shouldn't matter,should it.

I'm addressing you as I'm assuming your partly responsible for the maintenance of the docs.

For reference: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.5GHZ, 16384 MB, Win7 Ultimate SP2, IE11

Good day.
Ragnar

26 Mar 2019, 04:22

It would be interesting to know which AutoHotkey version you are using and what exactly this script error reports.

Rajat's IntelliSense should not be the cause of this problem.
0x00

26 Mar 2019, 07:01

Ragnar wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 04:22
It would be interesting to know which AutoHotkey version you are using and what exactly this script error reports.

Rajat's IntelliSense should not be the cause of this problem.
This particular error was triggered on If,although not consitent.

Code: Select all

An error has occurred in the script on this page. 

Line:     114
Char:     9
Error:     Unspecified error.
Code:     0
URL:     mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program%20Files\AutoHotkey\AutoHotkey.chm::/docs/static/content.js 

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? YesNo 
Latest Version, 1.1.30.1

And i only mentioned rajat's script,to signify it was the result of automated input.

And once the error is active, it's raised for every page that's clicked on,even on manual search, after initial trigger.
lexikos

29 Mar 2019, 18:29

Scoox wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 19:05
I have also encountered a problem with the new help file: the Ctrl+F text search box misses characters when typing very fast, so for example if I type "hidden" only "hiddn" or "hidde" is registered. Has anyone else noticed this?
I used to get this all the time since moving to Windows 10. In my case, it has to do with the "Highlight all matches" option, which is enabled by default. If the page has enough content on it, the dialog will miss keystrokes while it performs the highlighting. It is not specific to the new documentation but might be more prevalent there because there is more content (the sidebar is searched as well). My workaround is this:

#IfWinActive ahk_class HH Parent
^f::
open_help_find() {
    SendMessage 0x111, 67, 0, Internet Explorer_Server1
    SetWinDelay 5
    WinWait Find ahk_class #32770
    Control Uncheck,, &Highlight all matches
    ControlFocus Edit1
}
Ragnar

30 Mar 2019, 10:00

lexikos wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 18:29
I used to get this all the time since moving to Windows 10. In my case, it has to do with the "Highlight all matches" option, which is enabled by default. If the page has enough content on it, the dialog will miss keystrokes while it performs the highlighting. It is not specific to the new documentation but might be more prevalent there because there is more content (the sidebar is searched as well).
If you are using the current GitHub files to compile the CHM, this should be fixed (that is, the sidebar is no longer searched).
0x00 wrote: This particular error was triggered on If,although not consitent.
Unfortunately "Unspecified error" is the most unhelpful error message you can get in IE/JavaScript. But "Line" and "Char" are always the same, right?

No matter which OS or IE version I am using, I cannot reproduce this problem. For testing I used the following script (a shortened version of Rajat's IntelliSense):

SetKeyDelay, 0
#SingleInstance

; Determine AutoHotkey's location:
RegRead, ahk_dir, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE\AutoHotkey, InstallDir
if ErrorLevel  ; Not found, so look for it in some other common locations.
{
    if A_AhkPath
        SplitPath, A_AhkPath,, ahk_dir
    else IfExist ..\..\AutoHotkey.chm
        ahk_dir = ..\..
    else IfExist %A_ProgramFiles%\AutoHotkey\AutoHotkey.chm
        ahk_dir = %A_ProgramFiles%\AutoHotkey
    else
    {
        MsgBox Could not find the AutoHotkey folder.
        ExitApp
    }
}

ahk_help_file = %ahk_dir%\AutoHotkey.chm

I_HelpHotkey:
SetTitleMatchMode, 1  ; In case it's 3. This setting is in effect only for this thread.
IfWinNotExist, AutoHotkey Help
{
    IfNotExist, %ahk_help_file%
    {
        MsgBox, Could not find the help file: %ahk_help_file%.
        return
    }
    Run, %ahk_help_file%
    WinWait, AutoHotkey Help
}

; The above has set the "last found" window which we use below:
WinActivate
WinWaitActive
Send, !n{home}+{end}If{enter}
return
Do you have the same problems with this script?
0x00

30 Mar 2019, 12:51

Ragnar wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 10:00
Unfortunately "Unspecified error" is the most unhelpful error message you can get in IE/JavaScript. But "Line" and "Char" are always the same, right?

No matter which OS or IE version I am using, I cannot reproduce this problem...
Yeah, same issue, but i never thought it was intellisense anyhow...

Ahh, so I've been testing for about an hour and i can consistently reproduce it when system is under heavy load, i consistently run Arma 3(12GB Max RAM Usage) in the background.

But my system isn't exactly a slouch, see my specs in first post, and a legacy chm compile works just fine, so i think the issue is that it times-out somewhere, and especially the error occurs when there's already heavy memory usage, even with very little CPU Usage, and you can just run it & search manually & it should error out.
Ragnar

30 Mar 2019, 14:55

I just commented out line 114. Can you please try the following CHM to see if you still get the script error? If so, post the error message again.
Attachments
AutoHotkey.zip
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 119 times
0x00

31 Mar 2019, 11:26

No errors thusfar, although i noticed the normal chm hotkey's don't work right off the bat, i had to modify intellisense to get it to work, but seems fine,although i don't know why such a fix worked at all, not that i'm complaining of course, just curious, cheers bruv.
Ragnar

31 Mar 2019, 15:27

Thanks, but we're not done yet :) Now we have to find out what exactly is problematic in this line. Please try the following modified CHM. Theoretically the script error should occur again, but should be more helpful (at least for me). If so, post it.
Attachments
AutoHotkey.zip
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 109 times
0x00

01 Apr 2019, 12:35

Error stills pops up, see attached video, Attachment is a video, placed it in archive just to upload...
Attachments
chmDebug.zip
Mp4 File
(1.82 MiB) Downloaded 107 times
Ragnar

02 Apr 2019, 04:42

I think I fixed the bug. Please test again.
Attachments
AutoHotkey.zip
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 138 times
0x00

03 Apr 2019, 10:33

Tested it thoroughly through the day, no errors. Awesome.
gwarble

03 Apr 2019, 17:40

I wouldn't necessarily call it a "bug", but the new style help file has two things I don't like about it:

1) It doesn't remember which tab you were on, always loads to the "Contents" tab when I almost only use the "Index" tab... The old style would re-open on the last tab used.
2) It takes 2-3 seconds to load, whereas the old style loaded almost instantaneously.

Both pretty minor, but every time I pull it up I notice those two things. It does look nice though!
EitherMouse - Multiple mice, individual settings . . . . www.EitherMouse.com . . . . forum . . . .

Return to “Bug Reports”